Oviedo U Increases Use Of FLOSS

“The University of Oviedo in Asturias, one of Spain’s autonomous communities, is studying ways to increase its use of free and open source software, reports La Nueva España, a newspaper.
Using free and open source software will help to avoid the use of unlicensed software, the university management is quoted as saying in December.
The university is also looking into using free software solutions to reduce academic plagiarism.
The newspaper notes how Asturia’s one and only university is at the bottom end of the annual ranking of universities that use free software”

See Oviedo university studies to increase open source
Yes, my biggest takeaway from using GNU/Linux for years in education is that FLOSS (Free/Libre Open Source Software) is perfectly suited to use in education. Teachers, administrators and students love its utility and flexibility. There’s no problem with the budget, no legal hoops to jump through and no lawyers need examine the deal. FLOSS just works for people in education.

This entry was posted in Linux in Education, Teaching, technology and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Oviedo U Increases Use Of FLOSS

1. Deaf Spy wrote, “The more you read, the better it comes. A reading worth recommending.”

Eh, you know, most start-ups tank within two years as they run out of capital/credit/customers… This is not a commentary on FLOSS but a failed business-plan, like Trump’s idea to cut taxes while paying down the national debt, or having a bunch of old white male billionaires looking out for the interests of a society diverse with millenials of all kinds, mostly poor, or being deliberately unpredictable while playing chicken with nuclear and trade war…

2. Deaf Spy says:

In the meanwhile, another glorified Open source business model goes down the drain:

This is particularly amuzing:
    the open-source developer tools market is one of the worst markets one could possibly end up in. Thousands of people used RethinkDB, often in business contexts, but most were willing to pay less for the lifetime of usage than the price of a single Starbucks coffee (which is to say, they weren’t willing to pay anything at all)

The more you read, the better it comes. A reading worth recommending.

At any price the EULA is too restrictive to bear.

Naturally you weasel out of my objective summary, Boblet.

To whit: neither your students, nor you, nor your superiors in Easterville, asked Microsoft for anything. And since they, you, and they never asked, how can you possibly believe that Microsoft might have answered?

ESP, perhaps?

No? Well, I’m offering you the chance to make up for the manifest sins of your past.

Just take me up on my bet. Tell me who to contact at Easterville, and I will do the rest.

4. DrLoser wrote, “In 2016, Microsoft has a robust portfolio of heavy discounts for educational establishments.”

At any price the EULA is too restrictive to bear. Meanwhile Debian GNU/Linux is $FREE and Free for all to use, examine, modify, and distribute. That’s a much better deal than enslavement.

Share and enjoy, Douglas, share and enjoy.

You have full access to the code, and it can hardly be a difficult task. Just take the email API for LO and adapt it to Thunderbird (or email client of your choice).

Give back some of that lurve that FLOSS gave to you!

Or, alternatively, write a couple of pages of instructions for Pog’s benefit, and he will undoubtedly co-operate with a nice clean little Pascal interface.

It’s all good. Chuckle.

M$ never listened to my users.

Did “your users” ever talk to Microsoft, Robert? I beg to doubt it. It’s difficult to listen if nobody is talking.

Did “you” ever talk to Microsoft, Robert? I beg to doubt it. It’s difficult to listen if nobody is talking.

In 2016, Microsoft has a robust portfolio of heavy discounts for educational establishments. (It no longer matters whether this existed back in your day, although it wouldn’t have made a difference, because you weren’t interested enough to ask.)

And, you know what, all of the apps in that portfolio interact seamlessly, from Office to SharePoint to Teh Cloud. Much in the way that Deaf Spy described, and (predictably) you completely failed to comprehend.

I’m actually willing to bet you that I can get your erstwhile school in Easterville equipped, for free, with Office and sundry other tools (certainly Azure, possibly not SharePoint, but that might be an admin step too far anyway).

Send me the details of how to contact the present IT administrator, and I shall give it a go.

“Gee, even a Linux proponent like Dougie admits there is nothing in the FLOSS land that can match Office + Outlook.”

YEP. I am surprised no one has taken LO and integrated Thunderbird into it, or just build a simple web-client of sorts. Meh, that shit is all behind me. Nowadays, I just point people to Gmail for business if asked.

I have used Outlook since 97 I reckon, mainly at various businesses and to date, none of the FOSS stuff matches it.

8. Deaf Spy wrote, ” Once you go to multi-step authentication, with proper storage and encryption techniques, proper communication protocols, signed messages and all, e-mail is still the king of communications in enterprise.”

That sounds very difficult to use. I’ll stick with the browser.

9. Deaf Spy says:

I’ve never met one. For most people I’ve met the e-mail client is the web-browser. I’ve met a few who use something other than Outlook. Knowing that e-mail is hugely insecure, I wonder why anyone would want it integrated with anything.

Bwa-ha-ha-ha!

Not only are you, Robert, absolutely unaware how enterprise works. You are also totally outdated on enterprise security. “Hugely insecure”! That, Robert, is true when your run a half-assed e-mail smtp / pop3 services under some Unix server in a room. Once you go to multi-step authentication, with proper storage and encryption techniques, proper communication protocols, signed messages and all, e-mail is still the king of communications in enterprise.

P.S. Fifi, you poor basement dweller. LO doesn’t even have a proper mail client, that what you try to bring here is a still irrelevant. Shut up.
    The reality is Outlook does not integrate with a lot of CRM solutions properly. You have cases where thunderbird is more feature complete than Outlook when you have to allow for CRM.

Its not that Libreoffice is without a email client integration. Thunderbird could be better . Libreoffice can access Thunderbird calendars and emails.

This is true but having proper integration between the email client and the office suite does not help you if that integration ends up causing security problems.

Having recent documents from office suite installed on machine directly accessible by email client can be a mistake. So you need to set if recent documents are from CMIS/CRM or from local office suite in email client. Thunderbird intergration with different CRM solutions gives you what were you recent documents pushed up by CMIS only.

Interesting enough one of the reasons state for some groups going Libreoffice is Outlook recently used files and how simple it is for a user to send a document by unprotected email that should not have been there.

So the feature Deafspy said is good in Outlook to some users is a feature to others is a curse. Could it be implemented as a extension to Thunderbird the answer is yes. Has anyone ever requested the feature if you check the bugzilla of thunderbird that is the suggest email client to use with Libreoffice the answer is no. Basically if the feature is so critical Deafspy a bug entry should exist for it or shut up complaining about it..

11. dougman wrote, “I cannot tell you how many people have shrugged off OO/LO due to not have an email/calendaring integration.”

” LO doesn’t even have a proper mail client”

I cannot tell you how many people have shrugged off OO/LO due to not have an email/calendaring integration. Microsoft Office – Outlook is a tough combination to beat.

13. Deaf Spy wrote, “It is all about proper and well-though integration between tools, stemming from years of research, clever program management, and listening to what your users have to say.”

M$ never listened to my users. They just wanted an OS that would remain operational. They got one in GNU/Linux. M$’s “well thought” integration is often a recipe for insecurity, BSODs and the like. When I switched to GNU/Linux, my kernel, my OS and my applications worked for me not the bad guys nor M$. What a relief.

14. Deaf Spy says:

That’s exactly an example that you are not even capable of grasping the kind of productivity I describe. It has absolutely nothing to do with thin clients and roaming sessions. It is all about proper and well-though integration between tools, stemming from years of research, clever program management, and listening to what your users have to say.

Deaf Spy
    If you paid for Libreoffice the browser extensions from Collabora Productivity does that with writer instead of word. Only one catch it works with items other than Sharepoint.

Now some of the alternatives to Sharepoint that libreoffice work with have integrated web based email yes those do provide that recent documents to email functionality. Does mean you have put documents you are sending out up on the server what is kinda of useful when someone else has to take over your job because you are sick and your laptop is with you.

So this becomes work-flow choice if Libreoffice with different CRM/CMIS solutions or MS Office with its limit connectivity.

Also libreoffice has send to trigger outside email client. Yes where you would go outlook attach file with libreoffice you go libreoffice send option then your email client. Of course you don’t like change.

Deaf Spy about time you go away and do your homework. Nothing you have stated is really that much of an advantage. One thing done differently.

You did mention a problem outlook downloads and attaches the file to the email. Some of the solutions that integrate with Libreoffice that have web based email clients will at times just use a URL so that a classified file is not sent over email and is only accessible to logged in users. Yes Libreoffice support opening a CMIS URL and that is what solutions that integrated with Libreoffice send classified tagged files on the server as.

So Deafspy you claim outlook claim is not high productivity but a security problem because outlook doing something wrong. Issue comes about due to sharepoint and exchange being isolated from each other the way they are.

16. Deaf Spy wrote, “I clicked reply in Outlook (desktop again), and button Attach had a list of recently used files. There was the file I edited on the cloud server, with its cloud URL.”

That’s exactly the kind of productivity I had in the North using thin clients on a terminal server. Folks had their session available anywhere on the system. It’s just a matter of routing to get the utility outside the community too. Whole communities had very little bandwidth so doing things like that outside the community were not even feasible. For instance, the last place I worked had decent bandwidth for a single household covering hundreds of home plus the school. It was like 10mbits/s. Even Chrome browser with all its prefetching clogged the ISP. There’s no way everyone could use that technology.

17. Deaf Spy says:

Teachers, administrators and students love its utility and flexibility

When it comes to LibreOffice, I doubt you even know what utility and flexibility is.

Example, using Office 365. I open a file from the web-browser portal of SharePoint, and edit it using the desktop Word app. I saved the changes, closed the browser and then remembered I need to send it by e-mail. I clicked reply in Outlook (desktop again), and button Attach had a list of recently used files. There was the file I edited on the cloud server, with its cloud URL. I selected it, Outlook used my security credentials to log on to the server behind the scenes, downloaded the file, and attached it.

This, Robert, is utility. This, Robert, is high-productivity.

Come back when LO has anything that can match the workflow I just described.

18. dougman wrote, “All those sites Politifact, FactCheck, are just plants by the left. They’re hell-bent on pushing their agenda no matter what the cost and they will do it under the guise of “fact checking””

You can check your own facts. Trump is full of it.

19. Wizard Emeritus says:

Trolling again, eh Dougie?

CNN and PolitiFact share the same bed Pogsey.

All those sites Politifact, FactCheck, are just plants by the left. They’re hell-bent on pushing their agenda no matter what the cost and they will do it under the guise of “fact checking” websites for the idiot college-aged kids who mostly follow and believe them.

I need only quote Rachel Maddow concerning PolitiFact, “You are a mess! You are fired! You are undermining the definition of the word “fact” in the English language by pretending to it in your name. The English language wants its word back. You are an embarrassment. You sully the reputation of anyone who cites you as an authority on “factishness,” let alone fact. You are fired!”

21. dougman wrote, “in the light of CNN being called “fake news””.

Fact-checking:

CNN reported that Trump was briefed on unsubstantiated findings of an investigator in Europe. TRUE

Trump: CNN spread false news… FALSE

It’s rather amusing that a guy who is estimated to speak 76% lies/falsehoods is calling journalists who usually obtain two reliable sources for their stories, “Fake”.

“PolitiFact has been documenting Trump’s statements on our Truth-O-Meter, where we’ve rated 76 percent of them Mostly False, False or Pants on Fire, out of 77 statements checked. No other politician has as many statements rated so far down on the dial.”

So, when considering anything Trump says or Tweets, the safest course is to assume the opposite is true.

An example: “I watched in Jersey City, N.J., where thousands and thousands of people were cheering as that building was coming down. Thousands of people were cheering.” Pants on Fire. There is no video of thousands of people in Jersey City cheering. Weeks later, Trump continues to stand by his claim but has not been able to point to evidence to back it up. Public safety officials on the ground in New Jersey say it never happened.”

I have to give Trump some benefit of a doubt on this one. No doubt there were thousands cheering, somewhere, but it wasn’t in NJ and on TV. So, at best, he’s a confused old man whose tall tales improve with the telling and he tells the same thing multiple times for effect, but that doesn’t make them any more true. He’s a faker of the first order.

I dare say Pogsey, in the light of CNN being called “fake news”. It has occurred to me that you have not posted anything regarding them of late, biased much?

Shouldn’t you be focusing on Canada?