Crazy Things I Might Do In 2017

How am I going to survive a few years living with Trump? I’m going to have fun!

High on my ToDo list are things to make the world a better place, like growing trees and flowers, you know, natural stuff that just keeps on giving. I’m also trying to reduce my consumption of energy or at least doing more with less. While I don’t drive much I would like to drive more and one of the major factors is the silly cost of fuel. Without a “wormhole” or other sci-fi technology, we need a rolling vehicle to get around and it takes energy. Car-makers have made cars that are lighter and smaller but I want more and I don’t want to drive a motorcycle.

Presto! The electric car. Here’s one that even I could afford and it’s actually useful. The design-goal was commuting but I’m retired. Errands are just like commutes, eh? If a guy can carry that much in the way of groceries in the thing, I could do all but a very tiny fraction of my errands with it. I could shop, visit my MD/pharmacy/post-office, and of course, go to the rifle-range any day of the week in the warmth of the day when the traffic is lightest… It also comes in red…

There’s just one problem… How do you decide what door to use? 😉

This entry was posted in firearms, food, technology and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Crazy Things I Might Do In 2017

1. dougman wrote, “It should be obvious to anyone that a company with a $25 million annual burn rate and zero revenue can’t last forever.”

The thing is a company that is loved by customers/potential customers never need fear going out of business. All they have to do is deliver product and folks will buy it. In the beginning they will be almost alone in the market with the next big thing. There is a risk but someone has been taking that risk and I don’t see any reason to stop since they are this close to production. One might form a different opinion if there are waves of problems or legal suits in USA but barring such disaster I think they will make it. Look at solar/wind. It’s a sure thing that any project will lose huge money at startup and barring plane-crash/meteorite, one can see break-even happening in X years. It’s the same with Elio.

Pogsey, not only do you believe the lies of the fake news media like CNN for example, but you fall for all kinds of charlatans bullshit. I am willing to bet you stock portfolio is not as “grand” as you state it is.

Looking at the SEC filing Elio Motors, I find rather revealing content.

We have experienced recurring net losses from operations, which losses have caused an accumulated deficit of $123,212,432 as of September 30, 2016. In addition, we have a working capital deficit of $25,769,911 as of September 30, 2016. We had a net loss of $34,787,800 and $13,873,656 for the nine months ended September 30, 2016 and 2015, respectively. These factors, among others, raise substantial doubt about our ability to continue as a going concern. If we are unable to continue to obtain financing to meet our working capital requirements, we may have to curtail our business sharply or cease operations altogether. Our continuation as a going concern is dependent upon our ability to generate sufficient cash flow to meet our obligations on a timely basis to retain our current financing, to obtain additional financing, and, ultimately, to attain profitability. Should any of these events not occur, we will be adversely affected and we may have to cease operations.

It should be obvious to anyone that a company with a $25 million annual burn rate and zero revenue can’t last forever. And that’s especially true for a company like Elio Motors, which seems to have huge logistical issues it has yet to overcome– to say nothing of substantial R&D issues, staffing issues, tooling issues, etc.- before it can even begin to sell its innovative familiar three-wheeler.

Paul Elio has been quoted as stating that “the trikes themselves aren’t going to be huge money-makers for the company. They’re intended to be profitable, but the real profits will come from selling CAFE credits to the big three automakers.”

The next thing to ponder is Trump. Trump’s election poses an existential threat to Elio Motors, because Trump’s appointment of Scott Pruitt as the head of the EPA will very likely try to do away with many of today’s CAFE requirements. And, with the dismantling of those CAFE requirements will come a resulting drop in the value of credits. As in, they will be worthless. Elio’s entire business model was built on the idea of selling zero emissions credits to other automakers! I am NOT making this up.

3. dougman wrote, “64K pre-orders Pogsey?
     So cool, NOT!”

Yes, cool. 64KX$7K is ~400M and they’re on their way to breaking even. They have a serious plan for their business. The fact that it’s possible they don’t survive doesn’t mean they won’t. It’s called risk and some people understand that taking risks is important for achieving success.

64K pre-orders Pogsey?

So cool, NOT! Elio Motors could have a million pre-orders on the books, all of which means nothing unless your shipping product. Shades of of the Cello board, eh?

5. dougman wrote, “nothing more as was Elio, another EV car company that produced squat”.

They have 64K preorders. If they can deliver in the coming year they will do well. The Elio looks similar to the Solo EV but it is not an electric car. It is powered by gasoline. The company has its ducks in a row. Those who like the idea of a compact efficient automobile will buy them.

Further, dougman wrote, “you must realize that electric vehicles actually burn coal or some other form of carbon based fuel. The only difference is that the power plant that produces the electricity that goes into the electric vehicle is not in the vehicle itself.”

That may be true in some places but not here. Manitoba is blessed to drain about 1/10 of North America into Hudson’s Bay (Map omits Red River drainage into Lake Winnipeg and further north.). We have several dams and reservoirs turning all that rushing water in the north end of Manitoba into electrical power which is shipped south on HVDC power lines since the 1960s. We export power to USA, for instance. We used to have a few oil/coal plants in Winnipeg but they were shut down years ago. There’s no need for them. There are only two left in this list in smaller cities.

So, dougman is like Trump, going off half-cocked on falsity taken as fact. While a compact EV may not make sense where and how he lives. It makes perfect sense to me where I live. Thank goodness for diversity, something abhorred by Trumpists.

“This EV is a winner.”

Its a joke Pogsey, I DARE you to go buy one. That EV will be nothing but a host of problems for you.

Electra Meccanica Vehicles Corporation is in the PR and deposit business, nothing more as was Elio, another EV car company that produced squat.

Elio Motors SEC filing in September casts doubt on the company’s ability to continue operations. Elio had an accumulated loss of more than $120 million and a working capital deficit of more than $25 million as of September 30, 2016. In the first nine months of 2016 Elio Motor had a net loss of almost $35 million and stated, “If we are unable to continue to obtain financing to meet our working capital requirements, we may have to curtail our business sharply or cease operations altogether.”

Pogsey, you must realize that electric vehicles actually burn coal or some other form of carbon based fuel. The only difference is that the power plant that produces the electricity that goes into the electric vehicle is not in the vehicle itself.

7. dougman wrote, “ponder all the hydrocarbons that went into building your EV, along with all the hydrocarbons that support it.”

Well, the way I take care of a car it should last longer than I do so the hydrocarbon costs are not that great. The whole thing weighs only half a tonne. It’s so light tires should last ten years or so and there’s minimal lubrication required except a few hinges and bearings. It’s nothing like the gas-guzzler that needs a couple of oil changes per annum plus all that fuel. This EV is a winner.

“An EV will allow me to do what I want with much less impact than the gas-guzzler.”

But ponder all the hydrocarbons that went into building your EV, along with all the hydrocarbons that support it.

9. dougman wrote, “perhaps you could ride a bike or even walk, think of the bigger picture. GO GREEN!”

Unfortunately, Canada is a big country. I need to do trips ~30miles on average. It would take all day with a bike and I would be exhausted or dead. Walking is possible but it would mean one or two trips to the range per month instead of much more frequently. No. An EV will allow me to do what I want with much less impact than the gas-guzzler.

Hey Pogsey, perhaps you could ride a bike or even walk, think of the bigger picture. GO GREEN!

11. ram wrote, “Perfect to getting up to the train station or picking up a few groceries.”

Exactly. This is the kind of stuff I do most often in a car. I might need a bigger vehicle just a few times a year. I also think it’s great that I can set up a solar charging facility for the thing and it won’t even dent my electrical billing.

12. dougman wrote, “trikes have been around time immemorial and they never took off into production. Want to know why?”

Nope. Trikes are very practical: less rubber, no steering torque from the drive-wheels, lower weight… I don’t see a downside of trikiness.

Further, the video dougman referenced used a single wheel in front, making the vehicle unstable at any speed of cornering. My vehicle has the single wheel at the rear and a very low centre of gravity because the battery is underneath the operator. I’m not going to back up at any great rate of speed, so, it’s not a problem. This car has been run at top speed around a race-track. It’s quite stable in turns.

$15K for that POS? Hope no one never hits you, you’ll never make it.

Besides impact safety, trikes have been around time immemorial and they never took off into production. Want to know why?

14. ram says:

Looks a bit “tippy” but if the licence and registration requirements were not onerous I would get on. Perfect to getting up to the train station or picking up a few groceries.

15. dougman wrote, “I think in your case, that hiring a taxi would be the lesser of costs over an electric vehicle. Now that carbon taxes are looming . Uber would be a hip and popular choice.”

Chuckle. You must live in an alternate reality. Here, where I live, taxis start at about $50. In the city they might be less but I would need to take a taxi there just to find out. Or, I could visit this site and get an estimate of $46.89 CDN one way to visit my son who lives in Winnipeg.

That makes our gas-guzzler look like a bargain at around $5 one way. The little electric car would cost five times less BTW, about $1 for “fuel”. Maintenance will be a lot less too as there are far fewer parts and they roll more than slide. I expect insurance will be about half as much as for the gas-guzzler. There still remains the Department of Transport approval/classification and insurability by Manitoba Public Insurance. Those aren’t assured.

16. dougman wrote, “Considering that Trump is nothing to do with you, nor Canada. Its moronic to think that he does.”

Uh: NAFTA, currency market, stock market, price of goods, even the Internet are all things with which Trump can meddle on any whim he gets at 0400 any day of the week. It could affect the whole world, not just USA. Canada is very close to USA and has a lot of social and commercial interactions. OTOH, he could boost emigration to Canada a whole bunch, which would be a good thing. Then, there’s his fingers on “the button”. What happens if he’s sleepless one night, goes to his oval office and asks for “the button” to be dragged out for “a test”? This bastard is capable of anything and seems to lack all caution due a president.

“How am I going to survive a few years living with Trump?”

Considering that Trump is nothing to do with you, nor Canada. Its moronic to think that he does. What DOES affect you is Trudeau and his over-taxing carbon taxes.

Also, I think in your case, that hiring a taxi would be the lesser of costs over an electric vehicle. Now that carbon taxes are looming . Uber would be a hip and popular choice.