M$ Sinks On Web-servers

“8.90%”

Yes, that’s M$’s share of active sites…
See November 2016 Web Server Survey
I laugh when trolls come to my blog to repeat the lie that M$’s OS is the greatest thing since sliced bread. If that were so, why is M$’s share of web sites half what it was just a few years ago? Could it be that GNU/Linux and Apache/NGINX etc. are less expensive and more reliable??? Yes.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to M$ Sinks On Web-servers

Actually Macedonia kids created a lot of the fake conservative news sites on the web of late.

2. Yes, Trump was in cahoots with Comey and The Great Satan to beat Hillary. He might have arranged tampering with vote-counts too… Now USA will have a guy going in who is more corrupt than Hillary could ever have dreamed. I hear Secret Service is going to pay Trump to guard him in Trump Tower. Maybe Trump will spend a month in each of his hotels to boost revenue for the corporation… He’s not draining the swamp but filling it with his own ego.

3. kurkosdr says:

Well duh, Pog. Nobody is going to pay for a Windows license to run a file flinger with a PHP interpreter and an SQL database. It will be like using filet mignon to feed your dog. Dogfood will do just fine. Likewise, if the number of apps that touch the OS API you run is a grand total of three (WordPress and the like do not count, they run on the PHP interpreter) and you do not need to use any kind of advanced multimedia features, and don’t have non-generic device drivers that will break during an update, GNU/Linux works for that scenario.

How is this relevant to anything else? Woo! We own web servers. I guess dogfood fanbots are so proud for having cornered the market of dogs and are using it as a justification to convince themselves it is worthy to be on the top of their table. Or their desk. You know, a Desktop.

DrLoser
    That is a problem not true.
    https://aws.amazon.com/free/ Redhat and Suse get paid about the same from Amazon for a Linux instance as Microsoft gets paid for a Windows instance. Microsoft had to give places like Amazon lot of rate discounts. Difference is you are using a Redhat/Suse instance on Amazon you can call those guys up for support and even chew out a developer who broke your stuff. Microsoft on amazon where you are paying the same money you don’t get the support line.

I don’t know though. Neither do you. So stop bleating on about something of which you are utterly and completely ignorant about.
    Amazon has published the costing information about this stuff before so there was absolutely no need to be commenting with made up crap again DrLoser.

5. DrLoser wrote, “you know why you missed out on that opportunity?”

I got much greater returns on my investments… > 100% since March.

How much of that value is based on TOOS these days?

Who cares, Robert? I don’t. Doug doesn’t. Nobody but you does, really.

The fact remains that you missed a prime opportunity to double your pension fund by buying in to a large, safe, Utility at say $35, and to watch it rise to $60 or so.

And you know why you missed out on that opportunity? Because you are a world-class misinformed bigot, that’s why.

Amazon makes a lot of money out of a server. I’ve never entered one of their “real” establishments.

But not really on running a routine LAMP stack. They probably make a sliver on those, as indeed do most ISP types — but that’s just chump change.

And of course they do have a Microsoft offering, with the usual proprietary bits and pieces attached. I imagine they make more money off this (and off comparable FLOSS stacks) than they do off Web Servers.

“Even my tiny “Beast” has paid for itself many times over…..If it’s not making you money, it hasn’t paid for shit.”

I about choked on my morning tea reading that.

“Totally irrelevant measure. If you ever bothered to read at least what some people wrote at your blog, you’d have known that the major market for IIS is… Corporate intraweb sites and apps, which are not visible to the outside world. Same goes to most services, hosted at Azure and Amazon. They are not for the eyes to see.”

Took the words out of my mouth; namely Sharepoint, but the majority of people haven’t a clue how to use it. This is why I always advocated an internal WIKI for an organization. If you can edit text on a screen, you can edit and create stuff on your company WIKI.

10. Ivan says:

Even my tiny “Beast” has paid for itself many times over.

If it’s not making you money, it hasn’t paid for shit.

11. Deaf Spy says:

Ever considered how much money a supplier can make out of a web server, Robert?
    Zip, basically. That there is your answer.

Of course DrLoser be totally wrong. Its between Zip and quite a few dollars. The difference is to get the dollars for your web-server product you have to be able do at least one of the following:
    1) out perform your competitors.
    2) provide super good support.
    Of course both is better.

Yes you have NGINX open source and NGINX Plus that has a few more features. So the developer behind NGINX makes money out of providing a web server software.

So as normally DrLoser completely wrong. Microsoft cannot make much out of IIS because it really does not perform that well in bang for buck.

13. DrLoser, really reaching, wrote, “Ever considered how much money a supplier can make out of a web server, Robert?”

DrLoser also wrote, refuting his own weak argument, “I notice that MSFT stock is presently valued at $60”.

Chuckle. How much of that value is based on TOOS these days? I think it’s proof that servers do earn a lot of money. Even my tiny “Beast” has paid for itself many times over.

Ever considered how much money a supplier can make out of a web server, Robert?
    Zip, basically. That there is your answer.
    I notice that MSFT stock is presently valued at $60+ … what a shame you didn’t invest a part of your retirement boodle in it over the last couple of years.