A Reminder Of Why I Hate Ubuntu

Yesterday I was reminded why I hate Ubuntu. I suddenly was unable to SSH into Odroid-C2. From Odroid-C2 I could do everything as normal. It turned out the IP address had changed despite my HOST declaration in Beast’s DHCP server and Odroid-C2 being set to use DHCP, or so I thought. Nope. There was a dhclient.conf file in Odroid-C2 which requested everything and the kitchen sink from DHCP, stuff I had no use of like netbios… The man page for the dhclient.conf file says it all: “The require statement lists options that must be sent in order for an offer to be accepted. Offers that do not contain all the listed options will be ignored. There is no default require list.”

Yeah. That’s right. Set up DHCP that works for you reliably for years, add an Ubuntu GNU/Linux client and it ignores DHCP…. Arghhhh! I cut the require statement down to the basics and all is right with the world until Canonical breaks something else. My hatred of Ubuntu stems from a similar incident a decade ago when adding a package of desktop icons broke the configuration of a hundred thin clients. Yes, it modified gdm.conf for no good reason. I really should try to get Debian GNU/Linux working on this thing.

This entry was posted in Linux in Education, technology and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to A Reminder Of Why I Hate Ubuntu

1. shellkr wrote, “You should try ALARM (Arch Linux ARM) as they have support for it”.

Yes, that is on my list of candidates. I went back to ODROBIAN yesterday because I found FireFox would work if the 32-bit version was installed.

I like Debian GNU/Linux although at the moment there is no simple way to run/install Debian because of the complexities of booting with non-Free software. Debian has a policy against requiring non-Free software which the booting of Odroid-C2 now has. Again this is on the manufacturer who doesn’t supply all the code in source form despite Odroid-C2 being developed to promote use of an open standard. These folks need to decide whether they have both feet in the boat or both feet on the dock. They are trying to have it both ways.

2. shellkr says:

You should try ALARM (Arch Linux ARM) as they have support for it… Have been using it on both my C1+ and C2. A bit to set up but runs smoothly after that.

3. luvr says:

“When they went to “Unity” I completely lost interest in anything from them.”

So did I. I was pretty happy with Ubuntu 10.04, though.

All in all, I remain mostly grateful to Ubuntu for what it helped me achieve. Firstly, it was the Linux distro that finally enabled me to dump Windows. I’m sure I would have eventually gotten there even without Ubuntu, but it would have taken me significantly longer.

Secondly, when they went to Unity, they (inadvertently) encouraged me to take a serious look at XFCE. That was long overdue.

And finally, they introduced me to the real Debian. I still consider Ubuntu to be my first gentle step into the Debian universe. That in itself is a great achievement.

4. twitter says:

The folks at Libreboot recommend Beagle Bone Black for what they do. It ships with Debian installed and is supposedly less weird than Pi’s version or … Ubuntu.

Do you know if it will do what you want to do? I can run a TV with that kind of memory and CPU, but I would not try to run Chromium browser anymore, because javascript sucks. Movies might play on lower resolution TV, 1440×900 like mine for example, using VLC. I imagine familiarity is always helpful.

5. dougman wrote, “I have Raspbian GNU/Linux 8 on my Raspberry Pi3.”

That’s a different video driver. RPi3 has an accelerating driver so it might have the inside track. I was hoping the more powerful CPU/greater RAM/gigabit would offset that disadvantage. This one’s on ARM I suppose. It’s their hardware. They should make a driver for it or get out of the way.

6. dougman wrote, “Regarding the ODROID, not to sure why you decided on Ubuntu”.

There was a disc-image on the web for Odroid-C2, so I tried it. Even with its faults it works much better than the first one I tried. I think the hardware is decent but the software needs a bit more time to mature. Things like FireFox won’t even start. It segfaults… Chromium seems the best browser I’ve tried so far.

On another note, I tried some bandwidth today. That’s how I discovered Odroid-C2’s IP address had changed… Then I found it was running at 100 mbits/s. I have no clue how that happened. I did some transfers using SSH (30MB/s) and NFS (90 MB/s). That’s still a lot better than 100mbits/s but disappointing. Since FF won’t run, I couldn’t test it but Chromium loads up a single CPU pretty well showing one YouTube video. I think the video driver still needs some work/tweaking. I’m using a frame-buffer so an accelerating driver may actually be of some use if only for moving frames in. You’d think the guys who want to sell these things would have taken care of these issues by now. Clearly, in a smartphone frames may be a lot smaller than my TVs so it may just be a matter of scaling up. Still, it’s very close to what I want.

” I tried Ubuntu a few times, always seemed bugly to me. When they went to “Unity” I completely lost interest in anything from them.”

Same here..Linux Mint provides a more stable and better user experience.

Regarding the ODROID, not to sure why you decided on Ubuntu, they are a eff’n joke.

I have Raspbian GNU/Linux 8 on my Raspberry Pi3. I suggest you build your own Debian image from scratch if you cannot find a suitable candidate for your Odroid.

8. lpbbear says:

I have to admit not caring for them since their beginnings when instead of using ver. 1.0 for the first release they called it 4.10. That seemed a little “off” to me no matter what their justification for doing it was. I tried Ubuntu a few times, always seemed bugly to me. When they went to “Unity” I completely lost interest in anything from them.
    BTW Xandros was not a double agent. Microsoft targeted them because they were presenting a pretty solid Linux based alternative to Windows. The usual lawsuit threats, settlement buy out crap from Microsoft.

9. kurkosdr says:

Everybody thought Microsoft’s double-agent was Novell or Xandros, turns out it was Canonical.

“…and Mark, make sure that apart from breaking everything with bleeding edge crap like PulseAudio, you also ship with the worst config possible”.

I mean, why else an ultra-rich guy who’s been space tourist launch his own distro AND adopt impossible and seemingly ill-thought-of hard deadlines, instead of adopting a “when it is done” policy that all FOSS projects should have?

10. Agent Smith says:

That’s why its nickname is Buguntu…