Overoptimisim And ARM

“SoftBank chairman and CEO Masayoshi Son indicated that the acquisition is motivated by the large business potential for IoT (Internet of Things). However, Son overestimated real benefits from the acquisition and underestimated difficulties in vertical and horizontal integration of industries for IoT application, according to Digitimes Research.”

See Digitimes Research: SoftBank chairman overoptimistic about benefits from acquiring ARM
I think Digitimes has this wrong. Digitimes is thinking that buying ARM means making a new business venture with the combined businesses. It’s not. SoftBank is investing in ARM basically. By throwing money at it, Son believes ARM will be able to grow faster than it has already. A rocket may seem to be risky and complex but it certainly gets where it’s going quickly. That’s what this deal is about, getting to a new future of IT more quickly.

From my point of view, this pressure on ARM to grow will accomplish what I’ve been trying to do for years, displace monopolists from the platforms we use for all kinds of IT. ARM has been carefully avoiding going head to head with Intel, for instance. That’s fine if the goal was simply to do things that Intel was not, but if the goal is to grow and to make as much money as fast as possible, intruding into Intel’s space is in order. IoT is important and there’s lots of growth there but ARMed devices have become sufficiently powerful for most servers and desktops, Intel’s bread and butter. I think ARM will find diversification helps growth, revenue, and sustainability just like most other businesses. IoT is a huge part of ARM but so was mobility and so will be segments of Intel’s core business. It’s all good.

A guy who makes nuts and bolts may well start making rods and chains. Why not? It’s just not reasonable to stay away from rods and chains simply because someone else is making those. Competition is good and no one should have a monopoly in the building blocks of our IT.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Overoptimisim And ARM

1. dougman wrote, “My desktop is on 4.7 is faster then on 4.6 it seems.”

Beast is on 4.4.15 as well. A thin client doesn’t need the latest and greatest if it’s connecting to Beast which does. That’s one of the beauties of thin clients, that one needs to update fewer machines.

I just updated to 4.4.15-v7+ the other day, machine is rock solid. My desktop is on 4.7 is faster then on 4.6 it seems.

3. dougman wrote, “My Raspberry PI3 is HDMI only as well, but I did not spend the better part of two days trying to get it to function with a television.”

Of course Rpi is more widely used and better supported upstream. Odroid-C2 is newer and still with growing pains. I knew that when I ordered this thing. That’s why I didn’t order three… Still it works well enough I am confident that the problems are soluble. Then I will buy more. The hardware seems fine except that it’s so small it can drop, get crushed or dunked, just like a mobile device. It’s going to leave a big hole under TLW’s desk and in the multimedia cabinet. That’s what I want so I don’t have to be forever reaching and looking into dark places to attach stuff. This cheap gadget will replace a multimedia PC with an Atom we’ve had for years that’s really sluggish but takes only a few percent of the space and power. All these improvements are worth a bit of a struggle by me. Life should not be too easy.

UPDATE I copied over a new image. It’s a couple of months younger. I tried dd while running the thing. It booted but the file-system was seriously corrupted. I’m doing a proper dd on Beast atm. These guys are using an ancient version of Linux and tweaking the drivers and little else. That’s not optimal but it’s their way… Eventually someone will build a modern Linux supported top to bottom that will work in normal distros. Perhaps I could do that if the weeds all died tomorrow and my trees planted themselves and the alternator would install itself but…

4. dougman wrote, “A $4 adapter solves your problems, a $5 cable HDMI – DVI works wonders as well.”

I’m way ahead of you. I ordered those thingies last week.

Neither did I. We had a hell of a party here for family yesterday and I planted trees and pulled weeds today. The problem seems to be that the distro I used, Odrobian, was pre-configured in a way that doesn’t work with the unit shipped to me despite it being advertised as working with Odroid-C2. Don’t blame me for the faults of others. It’s possible that there was a change made by the manufacturer. In any case, I can configure around that or change the software again. It’s FLOSS. I can do that.

“All the monitors around here are VGA/DVI. Odroid-C2 is HDMI only. ”

A $4 adapter solves your problems, a $5 cable HDMI – DVI works wonders as well.

6. dougman wrote, “Perhaps the obvious solution is to just plug it into a monitor? Configure SSH and remote in once wifi is working. Not sure I understand the reasoning in trying to hook it up to large TV to begin with.”

All the monitors around here are VGA/DVI. Odroid-C2 is HDMI only. We have as many TVs as monitors, so…

I have sound working now, in all the general-purpose multimedia applications but not in any browser nor in kodi/xbmc… This is supposed to be a special edition of kodi designed for this hardware… Apparently they hard-coded an incorrect ALSA configuration somehow. I’ll have to hunt for that and kill it. mplayer and vlc work fine if I define a per-user .asoundrc file. Of course the browsers ignore that…

8. dougman wrote, “considering how much time you have spent already get this raspberry clone to work. A Chromebook is buy and forget, literally.”

It’s not clear at all that this problem has anything to do with the computer. The windowing problem wasn’t. I’m currently trying it out on a SONY TV. There are tradeoffs. On the SONY, the desktop is not nearly as SHARP… Nope. More tweaking of settings ON THE TV. Now to try sound again…

9. kurkosdr says:

Ahh… a Sharp TV, my parents bought one. I can feel your pain Pog, no seriously I can.

For example, the damn Sharp TV we had didn’t have a YCbCr input (aka component input), they just gave you an adaptor to convert the component to HD-15 and you were supposed to connect it to the “PC VGA”, which it had.

The problem was that the input corresponding to PC VGA (EXT3 I think) defaulted to Component input, which means that if you wanted to actually use it to connect a PC, you had to manually dive into an obscure menu, not found under “Picture” of course because it is a Sharp TV but under “Connections”. and set it to “RGB” manually.

Does the HDMI input has an analog audio jack nearby? Because our Sharp TV had one. In that case, there is a setting to choose between HDMI audio or analog audio jack. Can’t remember if it defaulted to that, but there was a setting.

Considering this, you have to make sure HDMI is actually reaching the TV. In Windows, you can bet your shirt it does. In low-end linux electronics running GNU/Linux, nahh. Do you have a cellphone or something doing HDMI out? Some kind of player or console?

Doubtful…considering how much time you have spent already get this raspberry clone to work. A Chromebook is buy and forget, literally. Nothing needs to be done with it once you give it to the intended person.

Pricing:
    1 – Odroid-C2 $60.00
    5 – hours configuration @ $35/hr $175.00
    NET: $235.00

Pog is a pensioner, which means he has to constantly find ways to fill his time. In that sense, messing with obscure low-end un-integrated electronics is an activity that actually pays him, because otherwise he would have to find more expensive ways to fill his time, such as going to dinners and cinemas. Aha! There we have the ideal GNU/Linux user, one with infinite time in his hands. I just don’t feel comfortable into the fact he forces all the mess that are the result of his efforts onto TLW. When he could buy her a Chromebook or a NUC with Ubuntu and be done with it.

“Sure, at double the cost. ”

Pricing:
    1 – Odroid-C2 $60.00
    5 – hours configuration @ $35/hr $175.00
    NET: $235.00

The least costly Chrome device is $80 and topping out at around $279, closely matching your price range.

11. kurkosdr wrote, “Audio over HDMI not working is another one.”

This is a TV, for pity’s sake. It has more config menus than I can shake a stick at. The video scaling was a total surprise to me. It’s not plug and play like a monitor. The audio could be something silly like another SPDIF cable plugged in that I don’t know about. I can’t find that anywhere in the menus but we did use this TV with SPDIF and an amplifier that died. This monster has 4 HDMI inputs. I don’t know how to configure them to use sound rather than from another source. It’s so big it takes two men to move it and I’m only one, so if I can’t feel the connector it’s staying where it is.

It’s a Sharp TV. To give you an idea how convoluted the menus are, here’s one of a bunch of items in the FAQ about how to get sound out of the TV:
    “For Audio/Sound, go into the TV Menu under System options. Using the cursor, scroll downward to “Output Select” to verify the “Output” is set to Fixed. This should produce sound from your television.” Intuitive, eh?

12. dougman wrote, “The problem with your “thin client” is that it cannot be taken on a vacation or when travelling. A Chromebook would be a suitable tool for that.”

Sure, at double the cost. In any case TLW does not need a desktop while travelling, just a smartphone or existing notebook. This will be her desktop device with a real keyboard, mouse and huge monitor.

14. kurkosdr says:

Sometimes, I am surprised by how GNU/Linux can fail the most basic things. Video playback tearing (due to lack of v-sync) in some X.org/gpu driver configurations is one thing. Audio over HDMI not working is another one. I mean, it’s been 10 years since Windows got that working. My Optimus 2X running Android Gingerbread, a mobile OS, got that working perfectly.

Just wait ’till the guys responsible for the mess that is GNU/Linux audio hear that some sound cards under Windows can take a Dolby Digital 5.1 stream, decode it, mix it with the other sounds of the operating system (say the ones coming from a browser) and then encode the resulting LPCM 5.1 stream it to Dolby Digital 5.1 so it can be outputted via SPDIF (LPCM 5.1 can’t). Can you imagine something like that happening under the GNU/Linux audio stack?

15. dougman wrote, “Considering this is a mild step-up from a Raspberry Pi3, what are your intentions with this? A beast replacement??”

This will be a huge step up from TLW’s VIA thin client. Beast IV will be a Lemaker Cello or Huskyboard, whichever comes first. This little guy really performs well. It has a faster CPU, more RAM and faster Ethernet. Benchmarks show it’s a reasonable desktop machine. As a thin client it will give the user nearly the performance of the server for most tasks.

Is sound over HDMI supported, of course. Just plug the cable in.

17. The windowing problem has been solved. It wasn’t really a problem with the Odroid-C2. It was the TV. It is so smart it has a bunch of modes, one of which was “stretch” where it scales the image to fit… Maybe it wasn’t so smart because it made the images not fit. Anyway, in “dot for dot” mode, Odroid-C2 gives a huge crisp complete desktop on the biggest TV we have. Video does kind of max out one core of the ARMed processor but you can still function with the other three.

That leaves only one problem, how to get sound out of the TV from the HDMI from the Odroid-C2. Stay tuned.

In addition to Hispanics and Muslims, what about the Canadian Aboriginals? Surely you can offer them assistance??

Worse problem than Blacks here in the States!

Long read, but talk about a bunch of hypocrites!

Canadians are racist, just look at the percentages of Black’s that are locked up!

Speaking about Hispanics, did you know that on December 1 of this year, the Canadian government will lift the visa requirement for Mexican visitors. Just think, Canada will now become even more of a launching point for illegal entry into the United States, unless they decide to stay.

So now you have to deal not only with Muslim Jihadist’s, but MS13 gangsters that will slit your throat.

20. kurkosdr says:

You never answered the question on capitalism. Instead, you go off on some tangent comparing Trump and Clinton to lying, cheating and bullying. Eh, everyone does that, so what? Business is business. But Clinton is the dirtier of the two. Go watch the documentary “Clinton Cash”

There is the endgame of two-partyism. Having to choose between a loose canon with no concrete policies (he actually promises to increase military spending, reduce taxes and reduce national debt all at the same time) who is an amalgamation of Lepen and Berlusconi, and an openly-corrupt Wall Street crony politician who thinks gender is a qualification to become president (hint: if you are a “white male” or just “male” and vote for your Hilary, please hand over your man card and your balls) and has also mostly failed at her previous job.

If you are a US citizen, don’t vote for the two major parties, please. Don’t let the Trumpies or the Hilarydrones suck you into the mentality of “the enemy of my enemy” and “least worst choice” or try to trick you into believing the untrue “wasted vote” rhetoric. Vote for a third party with your conscience and feel proud of your vote instead of holding your nose to the ballot.

Well, it was you who said “Elections are very close to 50:50″, followed by “Don’t be confused by the electoral college”

Ummm, who else’s votes places the candidate in the oval office? The United States Electoral College is the institution that elects the President and Vice President of the United States every four years.

“He wants to keep the relatives of a lot of Hispanics out.”

No, he wants to keep illegal Hispanics out.

“He wants to round up and deport the ones he misses.”

Yea, he wants to deport “illegal immigrants”. Wouldn’t you toss out someone that broke into your home and decided to squat in your garage or spare bedroom?

“He wants to keep Muslims out”

Considering all the attacks that have been taking place, this is a no-brainer. I ask you, when are you opening up you home to a Muslim family?

“He wants to mess with trade with every other country on Earth.”

LOL, no he wants America’s trade to be a better deal for its citizens. Free trade that causes companies to pickup and leave for Mexico, is NOT a fair deal. USA trade deficit has reached an all-time high nearly $800 billion. That’s almost a trillion dollars lost, exported to other countries on items that could be built in America.

“Trump basically accuses Hillary of doing all kinds of stuff that he did: lying, cheating, bullying…”

22. kurkosdr says:

Brent vote = Brexit vote (autocorrect)

23. kurkosdr says:

Let’s see:

He wants to keep the relatives of a lot of hispanics out.
    He wants to round up and deport the ones he misses.
    He wants to keep muslims out.
    He wants to mess with trade with every other country on Earth.

Correct remarks.

Also, replace “hispanics” with “french muslim citizens” and you basically have Lepen. This didn’t prevent her from rising into second place. Similar situation for all those far – right parties in Central Europe, some of then coming a close second to the first party.

All those, along with the results of the Brent vote, have made me reconsider some things. One of them being that the percentage of citizens who classify as “angry citizens casting an angry vote” is much higher than I originally thought. In fact, they are a second or even close second in terms of majority…

This is why I think it will be a close second for Trump, like I thought he will secure the nomination before the RNC.

24. dougman wrote, “Donald doesn’t “ignore” minorities, he embraces them”.

Let’s see:

• He wants to keep the relatives of a lot of hispanics out.
    • He wants to round up and deport the ones he misses.
    • He wants to keep muslims out.
    • He wants to mess with trade with every other country on Earth.

You’re right. He doesn’t ignore minorities. He just wants to crush them. That’s why the white supremacists love him.

dougman wrote, “you find something wrong with capitalism?”

I are one… I don’t trumpet myself as the saviour of mankind because I am. Trump basically accuses Hillary of doing all kinds of stuff that he did: lying, cheating, bullying…

dougman wrote, “Elections are very close to 50:50. ”

WRONG. Rarely does that happen. http://www.270towin.com/historical-

Don’t be confused by the electoral college. The highest share of the popular vote in my lifetime has been 61%. Most are a hair over 50%. Lately turnout has been around 60%. Trump’s only hope is that Ds stay in bed on the day. They won’t. They hate/fear/loathe Trump much more than they do Hillary. I hope this election season will prompt USAians to change their system. It’s just wrong that both parties produced the least likely to win candidate that they could. It’s not fair to force electors to choose their manner of death before murdering them. Folks have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness not slavery to the “two party” system.

“USAian politics is highly polarized. Elections are very close to 50:50. ”

WRONG. Rarely does that happen. http://www.270towin.com/historical-presidential-elections/

“Ignoring minorities approaching 30% is a recipe for losing.”

WRONG. Donald doesn’t “ignore” minorities, he embraces them. http://www.voanews.com/content/minorities-at-rnc-voice-support-for-trump/3430129.html

“Trump shouts that he works for the common man after working for decades only for himself.”

So you find something wrong with capitalism?

26. kurkosdr wrote, “you chose an unintegrated combination of low-end ARM hardware and software bits and you now have weird software glitches without an estimate for when they will be fixed”.

Nope. These glitches are tiny compared to the increase in performance otherwise. You can play a Youtube video remotely while dragging the window around with the mouse. It’s smooth. I can fix the sound one way or another. One solution is to use an adapter to peel the sound off the HDMI and into an amplifier. I could also set up a second unit just for streaming audio or make the browser a local application. With GNU/Linux I have a lot of choices. I like that. TLW’s old client suffered with 1280X whatever. This thing laughs at 1920×1080. That’s partly gigabit/s networking and partly a much faster CPU (2000MHz X 4 cores X 64bits versus 400MHz X 1 core X 32bits) and much more RAM (2gB versus 256 MB). The Odroid-C2 is a much more versatile unit. Today, while playing with streaming, I had it transcoding .mkv with vlc while displaying the video. That maxed out only one core. It can easily run media players or browsers as local applications. That may be the best solution for the sound problem. It might take a few days to get to that as this weekend is reserved for family. The garden is setting a variety of fruit too. Life is good. Odroid-C2 is a lot of fun. It’s a testament to Moore’s Law and FLOSS together. I expect I could replace her thin client tonight and be a hero tomorrow. These small glitches are the only thing the Odroid-C2 isn’t doing in a far superior manner.

27. kurkosdr wrote, “Reverse discrimination against “white guys”, because being white somehow makes you responsible for some crimes of the past and being male somehow makes you responsible for some crimes of the past and present.”

Nope. Folks tend to like people who share views, experiences, values etc. Rich powerful white guys tend to be not moving in the same circles as labourers and immigrants. Their ancestors may have been labourers and immigrants but they aren’t. USAian politics is highly polarized. Elections are very close to 50:50. Ignoring minorities approaching 30% is a recipe for losing. Trump shouts that he works for the common man after working for decades only for himself. The other guy has offended everyone liberal. That leaves ~30% of the electorate who will vote for that ticket. Hillary is a women and more women will tend to vote for her. She has tended not to offend minorities and choosing Kace(?) who is fluent in Spanish may help quite a bit in FL, CA, and many southern states. She will have to shoot someone publicly to lose… OTOH, Trump had to get his family to testify for him at the convention because few other GOPers would… I expect Trump will lose spectacularly in November. I expect voters will seriously question the wisdom of choosing GOPers down the ticket also so Ds could regain the senate and a bunch of seats in the house. It’s not enough to rail against Hillary in the fall. Trump has to show he can do the job and he’s shown that he can’t. If folks though global trade is bad for USA just imagine the recession if Trump shuts down global trade. The folks who have been buying Chinese will have sticker shock when they are forced to buy USAian.

28. kurkosdr says:

Two white guys running for POTUS don’t have much chance in the USA these days.

There is terminal political correctness and “progressivism” in one sentence. Reverse discrimination against “white guys”, because being white somehow makes you responsible for some crimes of the past and being male somehow makes you responsible for some crimes of the past and present. Nobody will actually bring you to justice for those alleged crimes, but you are supposed to pretend that they exist and pretend to be guilty for them (if not a lesser person because of them), that’s the unwritten rule.

So, Trump will crash and burn most likely.
    He won’t become president, but he will collect a surprisingly large amount of votes. First of all, have you ever thought that all those “white guys” or even just “guys” who see Clinton presenting gender as a qualification to become the next president or some other times as a moral imperative (“the glass ceiling totally exists and must be broken”), want to give her a “screw you” answer? And they are pretending to be “undecided” to not ruffle any feathers in their social circles? Also, maybe fathers and mothers in the South seeing Mexican drug cartels sell drugs outside of schools their children go everyday are “undecided”. Look, I get it, Trump’s wall idea is stupid, but it’s all they have to hope for. Finally, jobless people may view Trump’s trade war plans (unrealistic and unlikely to happen as they may be) as a way out, because desperation is a big motive. Those people definitely feel “left out” and may be “undecided”

Recent polls even by “progressive” media show Hilary and Trump go head-to-head, but let’s assume Trump is behind Hilary. Still, a remarkable accomplishment for a guy who said so many politically-incorrect things and violated so many of the unwritten rules of the mainstream media.

It’s the first time I will be watching the US election live, that’s for sure. Not because of Trump, but to see the rules change live on TV…

In the meantime, TLW’s Odroid-C2 is rocking. The hardware seems to run very fast but I’ve a couple of annoying glitches in the software: windowing is clipped a bit and video is fine but I’m having trouble getting streaming audio to work.
    In plain English, you chose an unintegrated combination of low-end ARM hardware and software bits and you now have weird software glitches without an estimate for when they will be fixed, if ever and how to get a proper experience. Am I getting this right? With the option to buy a Nexus Player, Nvidia Shield, Intel NUC or Intel Compute Stick on the table, with the first two running Android and the other two having Ubuntu Desktop as an option, which means you don’t have to bow down to the SatanOfRedmond(tm)(C)(R), and which come with much better gpu and audio drivers and run much more integrated software, are you sure this was a good choice?

I always wanted to ask you a question: Has “TLW” ever experienced a properly integrated computing environment like a NUC or a Nexus Player? Or it’s all cobbled-together thin-clients? Look, I like to experiment with getting crap hardware to do things (I bought a NSZ-GS7 in 2016), but to go from that to foisting a mess of loose bits onto other people who use computers as a means and not as an end, when there are properly integrated choices for sale (and not running EvilRedmondSoftware(tm) ) for a small amount of money more, that’s a long way down in terms of insanity.

29. kurkosdr wrote, “What you don’t realise is that there are lots of people feeling “left out” since the Great Recession, and they think the mainstream media and Wall Street crony politicians…”

Define “lots”. There are more people who don’t think that way so it may be a decent strategy to win the nomination but it’s a far thing to reach the Whitehouse. If you look at the actual votes, more folks voted against Trump even within the GOP. That’s a recipe for disaster and there will be way more voting against Trump from outside the GOP. I think if it wasn’t for “winner take all” states, Trump would have lost. Trump has claimed to bring in folks to the GOP but he’s actually driven people out of the GOP and they have nowhere to go. So, Trump will crash and burn most likely. Two white guys running for POTUS don’t have much chance in the USA these days. Folks can only stay angry for so long. They have three months to sober up. Trump is a bigger liar than Hillary, Bill and Barack altogether. Eventually folks see through that.

30. kurkosdr says:

Remember Pog, when you “predicted” Trump will not win the nomination?

What you don’t realise is that there are lots of people feeling “left out” since the Great Recession, and they think the mainstream media and Wall Street crony politicians (like Hilary and the Republican Party establishment) don’t care the slightest bit about them, so they have decided to use their vote in a way that annoys the Wall Street crony politicians and the mainstream media as much as possible.

Rationality and unfavorability don’t play a role. “What will annoy them the most?” is the question that dominates the discussion process for many people in the Western world when voting. We saw it with Lepen in France, then with the far-right parties rising in power in Central Europe (some of them coming a close second to the first party), then with the Brexit decision, and we ‘ll see it with Trump. He probably won’t become president, but will gather an astounding amount of votes for someone who said so many politically-incorrect things and is so far off the prescribed “minimum acceptance of progressive ideas” politicians are required to adhere to in the Western world for some reason.

And that’s good IMO. The elites should stop thinking they can make unwritten rules on the fly (such as the idea that a Christian or Buddist immigrant is the same as a Sunni Muslim immigrant) and enforce them via friendly politicians and mainstream media. A good shake-up is needed.