“A new Chinese supercomputer, the Sunway TaihuLight, captured the number one spot on the latest TOP500 list of supercomputers released on Monday morning at the International Supercomputing Conference (ISC) being held in Frankfurt, Germany. With a Linpack mark of 93 petaflops, the system outperforms the former TOP500 champ, Tianhe-2, by a factor of three. The machine is powered by a new ShenWei processor and custom interconnect, both of which were developed locally, ending any remaining speculation that China would have to rely on Western technology to compete effectively in the upper echelons of supercomputing.”

See China Tops Supercomputer Rankings with New 93-Petaflop Machine
At least for the time being China is the leader in HPC (High Performance Computing) with RISC (Reduced Instruction Set Computing) getting 6PFLOPS/W. The other systems near the top run about 2 PFLOPS/W using CISC (Complex Instruction Set Computing) machines. That’s a rather unfair comparison, specialized HPC cores versus general purpose cores, but it definitely shows RISC is in the game and China is able to innovate in IT. It’s not just about exchange rates or trade deals. It’s about people working for a living. Eat your heart out, Trump. While USA has led the field for decades, China has caught up, and shouting won’t fix that.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to China Achieves 6 PFLOPs/W With RISCy Processors In The World’s Most Powerful HPC

1. Dylan Hunt says:

The funny part is that the indigenous architecture used for this system was developed in response to Obama’s export ban on high end Intel tech (xeon, phi — which were used in China’s Tahin-2 supercomputer) to China.

We already do, we have some rather inconvenient duty fees on imports from non-NAFTA (Canada, Mexico, US) countries. As high as double or triple for eastern European goods, depending on the type of product. Less high for imports from the EU, which impose a non-zero tariff. What’s particularly amusing, is that the US imposes rather steep tariffs on certain Canadian exports (lumber, most notably) despite NAFTA.

You realize that the EU does this for goods from non-EU countries, don’t you?

I’m at a loss to see how protectionism is either somehow unique to China or any less ethical than some of the more colorful provisions of TTIP.

Even if this is true, there are other forms of protectionism in China, like iPhone clones suing Apple for patent infringement and winning (the iPhone 6 and 6 plus are somehow infringing on the patents of an iPhone copycat).
    kurkosdr this was Apple not picking there target well. Turns out when the Chinese company was making Nokia phone clones using Symbian OS they made a tablet phone with exactly the same case layout as the iPhone include the white colour and square symbol on the central button. iPhone copycat now was a Nokia copycat before Apple turned and did make a few unique failures including at table phone that looks a hell lot like a iphone years before Apple makes the first Iphone. Symbian OS pure tablet was not exactly nice to use and did not sell well yet the company did officially register the design. I would say that this is most likely a case of parallel independent invention that has bitten Apple on the ass. Sometimes having a patent and attempting to enforce it will back fire because it will turn out that you are in fact second to design something thing and the reason you don’t know about the first is the first was an absolute flop.

For those like dougman who don’t know. ShenWei is based off the old Dec Alpha chips that design and patents were legally acquired by China when Dec folded in 1998.

So the answer to on this cpu chip is none as it was acquire the normal old style way with dollars.

When it comes to super computer software this gets horible the history of super computer makers stealing software from each other is long. There was a historic cases of this example STC vs Ibis back in 1982 of the same kind of stealing going on around cluster file storage. About ever 3 to 4 years some company from 1972 to now in large mainframe/supercomputer construction some company gets found having one of there on payroll people with hands in the trade secret jar of another company(of course how many don’t get caught we have no clue). Due to this mostly being restricted to usa companies this was just a trade secret offence with fine no jail time.

Corporate espionage has been part of super computer development for a long time dougman. This is going to be one of the first times someone in fact risks jail time over it instead of just a fine. It would be funny if the stolen stuff turned out to be evidence that the USA company had nicked it themselves(basically totally possible with how the super computer world development has worked).

Why stop there? The PRC probably produces the most effective handguns in existence, Robert.

Very popular when shooting dissidents in the back of the head, I believe.
    In fact Dr Loser PRC produces one of the worst effective handguns on earth. Integrated plastic into firing pin so gun can only be fired about 4 times before it will fire no more until you change firing pin. So the pistol tranquilizer the PRC police has is more effective than the lethal force firearm they have as it can fire off 12 rounds to the hand guns 4.

PRC shots very few dissidents in the back of head and doing this will see PRC officer in trouble.
    Its not profitable Dr Loser. Its far more profitable to capture them live and then harvest their organs. Its far more effective to shot out knees and other lower value parts of target so of course they make great scopes . This is a scary difference between most police forces and PRC ones. PRC police prime objective is capture target alive because alive they are at least worth the value of their internal organs. Basically this is Dr Loser being absolutely wrong again. Death sentence in China is kinda savage if they are carried out. Shot in head for a death sentence is always done by riffle. Please note shot in head so not to damage the other internal organs and must miss the eyes as those are also valuable. China you are going to pay for your crimes even after your death. All death row inmates in China are automatically organ donors unless infection excludes them. Dr Loser shooting person in back of head risks damaging eyes that contain valuable items for transplanting so execution is always shot in forehead or drugs in China. Basically your comment shows you have absolutely no clue again.

Back of head shot will see Police/Mil Officer in China charged with Murder as execution is mandated as a forehead shot if it a bullet. Now if shot was aimed at forehead and target moved at last moment and it becomes a back of head or side of head shot then the Police/Mil Officer will be charge accidental manslaughter. Basically any video showing back of head shots you can fairly much know straight away you are not looking at China or the person who did it is now in big trouble at worse heading to death row him/herself.

3. dougman quoth, “The source code of the unnamed computer programme is described by the US Attorney’s office as a “clustered file system” that helps boost computer performance by sharing work among multiple servers. The code, which was described as “a product of decades of work” was reportedly stored behind the company firewall and could only be access by a “small subset” of employees.”

That’s interesting but what does China’s health system have to do with HPC? Further, the US grand jury system is a joke. The DA is allowed to present any evidence he likes and the defendant is not allowed a defence. So, they say, even a ham sandwich can be indicted. That doesn’t mean a conviction is likely or even possible in many cases. I get 96 hits from apt-cache search cluster|grep file in Debian’s repository for jessie. I doubt the Chinese have much need of copying a file-system. I wonder if the jury will get to see that code.

“MIPS? International espionage? You mean patent-licensing, don’t you?”

NOPE.

Each of the three counts of espionage carry a maximum sentence of 15 years in prison, the DoJ said, with Xu set to face the courts tomorrow (16 June).

US attorney Preet Bharara said: “As alleged, Xu Jiaqiang is charged with stealing valuable, proprietary software from his former employer, an American company, that he intended to share with an agency within the Chinese government.”

5. dougman wrote, “one wonder’s how much of that was achieved with corporate espionage. By the way?”

MIPS? International espionage? You mean patent-licensing, don’t you?

China has more than 1billion people, many of whom are technically astute and quite capable of developing any technology they need. It takes a lot of smarts and intelligence just to reach college there, let alone graduate. They have very active development of tech in universities and they are not held back by being forced to use Wintel. Essentially, they may copy what works but they also have the opportunity to avoid what doesn’t work and x86 is one of them. Oh yes, you can do IT with x86 but with enormous waste. The Chinese like to do more with less and MIPS/ARM are two ways they can do that. They have no problem using */Linux on those CPUs.

Meanwhile, the Bitcoin network is at currently 19027308.28 Petaflops.

“Eat your heart out, Trump. While USA has led the field for decades, China has caught up, and shouting won’t fix that.”

Good for them, one wonder’s how much of that was achieved with corporate espionage. By the way? What does Trump have to do about this?

7. The Wiz wrote, “why do you insist on calling out those who insist on spending their money their way Robert Pogson?”

Well, I make choices based on reason. I call out folks who blindly take what Wintel offers them, folks who make no choice except which of several offerings they take from the slavemaster. That’s exactly like a slave choosing the number of beatings he will take but excluding zero as an option. It is possible to choose to be a slave but it’s really stupid to ignore freedom when it’s so easily available.

An example: I once worked for a principal who was smart enough to realize TOOS was not properly licensed across the estate. What he did to fix that was to spend ~$40K to license TOOS properly. He could have installed GNU/Linux and put such funds to better use and saved an infinite sum of licensing fees going forward. This guy actually had taken a course in GNU/Linux and used it himself at home. When I proposed fixing a really dysfunctional lab by switching to GNU/Linux, he resisted until teachers demanded action. I made that lab hum, for $0 besides my salary, and raised reliable seats from 4 to 24 simply by dusting off old machines and using them as thin clients of Beast II. I used to be called to that lab daily to get TOOS to boot on a dozen or so machines. After the switch, I felt like the Maytag repairman. They didn’t need me any more. GNU/Linus was solid. I was rather angry that that principal had chosen slavery instead of Freedom from TOOS until there was a mutiny. That same principal threatened firing for insubordination if I even mentioned GNU/Linux to the school board. He was very reluctant to let me form a committee to study a plan for IT.

8. Dr Loser says:

Very popular when shooting dissidents in the back of the head, I believe.

9. Wizard Emeritus says:

“I know doing business in China is a small drain on the Canadian economy but I worked all my life for my money. It’s mine and I can choose to spend it my way. ”

Then why do you insist on calling out those who insist on spending their money their way Robert Pogson?

10. The Wiz wrote, “We can’t do that because they produce the cheap products you crave!”

Look around. A lot of really great products are Made in China these days. I’ve ordered a network switch, hard drives, rifle scopes, tools, electronics, machinery,… It’s all good solid stuff. In fact, the rifle scopes are clearly superior to USAian products I bought many years ago because the rifles bearing them now shoot much better. Even my much-maligned roto-tiller, while having some bugs is definitely the most effective tiller I’ve ever owned at any price. It just shreds the ground and the weeds in it. With the old Sears tiller, the weeds just used to thank me for moving to a new location and growing with new vigour. I had to till several times to have any effect. The new tiller is one shot – one kill. Stuff I tilled last year is still looking good except for some parachutists.

Further, except for the difficulties of language differences, I find service from China is excellent, much better than those places you find on the web that won’t sell without a phone call to a salesman and such. Whether I want one item or a ton I can quickly find a supplier who is happy to do business with me on my scale cheaply and efficiently. For the purchase of my alternator, the only difficulty at all was with Canadian trucking companies. I had to change shipper to get delivery to my door. The Chinese even threw in drive-belts which I had not ordered. I just told them the belt-type my tractor uses and they supplied a set gratis. It’s things like that that keep me coming back and I don’t have to drive or shift a lot of paper to shop in China. Don’t knock it if you haven’t tried it.

I know doing business in China is a small drain on the Canadian economy but I worked all my life for my money. It’s mine and I can choose to spend it my way. I still find some suppliers in Canada offer better prices than from the Chinese and I buy from them peanut butter, jam, and some hard drives and RAM but the Chinese often give me exactly what I want at a price I want to pay. That works for me.

Think of the disgust of that family up North who bought a PC that worked for 30 days and quit, not because of some failure of hardware or power, but because M$ wanted it to stop working. GNU/Linux is a product of the world, even China, and it works better for people than TOOS which only works for M$.

11. Wizard Emeritus says:

Interesting post.

Too bad China is engaging in the same or similar practices as ebil Microsoft eh? I guess you’ll just have to shun them as well.

Oh Wait!… We can’t do that because they produce the cheap products you crave!

Chuckle…

Its all Good, eh?

12. kurkosdr says:

China: Patents and copyrights only for domestic companies, not for US companies.

A couple of innovative companies doesn’t change the fact China protects their domestic companies with whatever unethical method possible. The US and the EU should stop being blind to that. Otherwise US and EU conpanies will soon have to pay royalties to copycats and be bought out by the very same companies that produce crude copies of their products. In fact, it is already happening…

13. kurkosdr wrote, ” China applies protectionist policies to imports, ensuring a non-level playing field for non-Chinese companies.”

The Chinese taxes are small and the Chinese see them as levelling the playing field too…

“she paid a little over 600 yuan for a pair of boots from London through Amazon.com Inc. when they were on sale. The same pair of boots at a name-brand store in Beijing carried a price of 1,900 yuan, she said, so even with the new taxes, the online price is better.”

In my experiences with “buyimg Chinese”, the biggest barriers to trade are language and freight, not taxes.

14. kurkosdr says:

And you forget that a couple of innovating companies doesn’t cancel the fact China applies protectionist policies to imports, ensuring a non-level playing field for non-Chinese companies.

I never understood why countries like Canada and the US don’t have a reflective tax which will be the exact same amount of tax China applies to imports to their country. Which is what Trump wants to do btw.

I don’t like con-man Trump and think he ‘ll be as fit for president as a loonatic with a flamethrower for security guard, but I ‘ve got to give him that one.