WD, What?

“There was no mention of Linux which is a shame since you would think that they are leveraging the community’s efforts in their products. But it was easy enough to connect my Lubuntu laptop as a Network File System (NFS) Client via three shell commands.”

See WD My Cloud NAS on Ubuntu
Along with my plan to delete Intel as well as M$ from my LAN I’ve been looking for a Network Addressable Storage (NAS) unit. Of course Western Digital makes a bunch but their latest and greatest have exactly zero mention of GNU/Linux. So, I was put off. Today, I thought I would search for “Linux wd mycloud” on Google and lo! I came up with the fine article on the right. Apparently, the authour connected the NAS to an Apple system and saw the NFS capability. A simple NFS mount made the system compatible with GNU/Linux… WD! WAKE UP! Your neglect of GNU/Linux is costing you sales. We M$-haters don’t all have Apple machines and we are not going to buy your stuff on speculation.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to WD, What?

Robert Pogson
    http://wdmycloudex2.local/ address for apple access to WD is done by Bonjour not special software on the machine so linux machine with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avahi_%28software%29 installed works as well.

The Windows interface is Rally so you can use https://github.com/zed-0xff/lltdscan to locate IP address.

Big difference if you setup by the web interface you don’t configure to sync data to the WD cloud. Basically WD is out for money making with these devices.

Its one of the many devices these days that has a setup application on windows and OS X to make your sign up to extra products of theirs what are not required to use the device you were sold.

Really how long before Windows and OS X users work out they are being tricked all the way to the bank.

2. oiaohm wrote about GNU/Linux and MyCloud devices.

I was concerned that the full features of the devices could not be used except from some .exe on TOOS. That’s not the case. They use a web interface so a browser is all that’s needed. The twits say that here: “Alternatively, type the IP Address of the My Cloud EX2 device into the URL field. The IP Address assigned to the device will vary. For example: http://192.168.1.15. A user of GNU/Linux may or may not know the thing’s IP-address but he/she certainly can find it with nmap or dhcp. So, the thing works perfectly with GNU/Linux but WD fails to tell the consumer that. Twits!

Deaf Spy who is fifi??? I see no fifi here.

Sorry if you want me to tell someone something use my correct handle or don’t even bother.

4. Deaf Spy says:

Tell this to Robert, Fifi.

Deaf Spy WD pays money to Linux foundation, Funds many linux events and does have developers working in different projects related to their productions.

WD could more but there is no question they are doing more than nothing.

Yes WD My Cloud are basic prefigured Linux servers. Even the default file system in them is Ext4 still. Thing is WD wants to run a app store on the devices so they can make some extra money so don’t advertise loudly that the product is only Linux inside or the fact full source code is provided to them.

Funny enough NFS support is included in the data sheet for talking to Linux computers.

In fact not having Linux on it clearly does effect places like Google buying any.

Dr. Idiot is an admitted tosser.

Speaking on the subject of NAS, I have to say that I spent less then $500 on my UNRAID box. The 4TB drives were another few hundred, then you have the mobile rack and APC UPS that I have tied to it for a another few hundred.

All in all, I have perhaps $1500 tied up in the thing. Currently at 17TB of data, DWM snapshots, music/movies and VM’s all in one place. I will never run out of space for the foreseeable future.

You don’t.

Followed by around five hundred more words. No price range quoted, I see. Five hundred more worthless words.

You’re never going to buy one of these things, are you, Robert? Admit it.

And please stop pretending that you have any moral superiority over those people who open their wallets and buy the things.

Why be so negative?

Because you had no intention whatsoever of buying a WD NAS in the first place, Robert. Admit it.

Because you have no intention of buying a WD NAS right now, even if the Chairman of WD writes to you personally and offers 24x7x52 Debian Support. Admit it.

Because you probably have no intention whatsoever of buying any NAS costing more than, oh, I don’t know, $43.99 plus postage. And even then you would insist on a ridiculous high-level spec for the thing. Admit it.

I’m not being negative at all, Robert.

I just know your miserly habits too well.

10. DrLoser stated with no justification, “I doubt it”.

Why be so negative? The NAS runs on */Linux so the development work is done. They have NFS/FTP/SMB. It works with GNU/Linux. All they need is to add “Linux” to a few character strings on the webpage and documentation, perhaps an hour’s work. I suppose Apple can use NFS so that may be why they put it there but if it’s available why not tell */Linux users so that they might buy the product?

11. DrLoser wrote, “it is yet another thing that you have no intention at all of buying for yourself, but would claim the right to enforce strict terms of usage on those purchasers who, unlike you, are prepared to stump up the money.”

Hey! My pension is working now, so I have cash-flow. How do you think I buy all the trees/seeds without TLW’s permission? 😉

The way things stand, with gigabit/s Ethernet or n-WiFi, a NAS is a pretty good option, centralized storage and backup etc. Having fewer big hard drives in one place makes sense. We have mostly 500gB drives now. It certainly makes sense to opt for a few *TB drives in a NAS. One option is to use Beast’s old crate with an ARMed motherboard to make my own NAS but as of now there aren’t a lot of motherboards with SATA… I expect one will become available in 2016 but the cost may well match the cost of a mass-produced NAS like WD’s. I’m considering all options. The WD NAS have a lot of crapware I don’t need like a GUI so there are pros and cons. Using Beast’s old crate I could also use multiple gigabit/s NICs. Beast has about 10 drive bays so it should never be obsolete even though the current processor is undesirably consumptive. I’ve located an even bigger server that I can get for $0 and just fire it up for building kernels or whatever. Beast does it in 7m with 4 cores. The machine in question has 8 more powerful cores and huge RAM and faster drives. I love options. I would prefer to move away from Intel/AMD but even AMD makes the Opteron A1100 which is an ARMed processor. I hope it becomes available this year for cheapskates like me.

I say fifteen bucks. A quick perusal of your website link for WD, Robert, suggests to me that the minimum cost would be $250 for the under-performant MyCloud EX2100 0TB.

Forgive me for exposing your cautious habits, wallet-wise, Robert, but surely this is far beyond your typical price level?

I will therefore assume that it is yet another thing that you have no intention at all of buying for yourself, but would claim the right to enforce strict terms of usage on those purchasers who, unlike you, are prepared to stump up the money.

Not much of a business case, I would think, from the perspective of WD.

WD! WAKE UP! Your neglect of GNU/Linux is costing you sales.

I doubt it, Robert. In your case, I doubt you’d even have stumped up the $15 for whatever minor item you were prospecting.

But let’s say that it is costing sales. Let’s up the ante and stipulate that you, Robert, would have paid $100 for a WD device without even bothering to shop elsewhere, just so long as it was all Linuxy and stuff.

Any idea on the margin? Any idea on the R&D? Any idea on the sales channel costs? The inventory?

As usual, you’re completely incapable of understanding the concept of cost/benefit. In WD’s case, I assure you, Robert, the cost is not zero. Far from it.

Should you be able to spreadsheet a suitable cost-benefit analysis for the specific case you mention, I encourage you to forward it to WD. And do, please, print their reply.

14. DeafSpy says:

Tell this to Robert in his quest to find a Linux-friendly WD storage, Dog-brain.

WD is a Linux Foundation member, of which “promoting, protecting, and standardizing Linux and open source software” is it’s stated purpose.

Keep trying troll.

16. Deaf Spy says:

I said “why should WD care about a certain 1% of the market“, Dog-brain. I even emphasize the important part for you.

Of course, as many other corps, WD use Linux to their own benefit, and contribute too little (if anything at all) back to the “community”.

Why should WD care about Linux? LOL…

You ignorant troll, WD uses Linux in it’s My Cloud EX line NAS.

Try again.

18. Deaf Spy says:

Eh, why should WD care about a certain 1% of the market, especially one they cannot easily support? I mean, which exact distros should they support? And will any of them count for more than 0,1% of the total market?

Makes no sense business-wise.

In the meanwhile, to support Windows 10, all WD need to do is to put a stamp on their boxes saying “Windows 10 compatible”.

For the record, I do own a WD 4TB MyBook external HDD. I plugged it to a W10 mini PC (small, cheap and power-efficient little machine, with no fans or anything, which runs 24/7). The drives comes formatted with NTFS. As a result, its contents get indexed by and any Windows workstation that can access its shares can quickly search through it and find your stuff by just using File Explorer or Windows Search. Nice, eh?

Just build yourself a Unraid box.