Apple Breaks FLOSS

“Pulling an open-source project upon which people may depend is total jerk behavior
See Apple May Have Just Killed An Open Source Project.”
It could be a breakdown in communication but Apple just acquired a company and the company’s GitHub repository shut down…

Let’s hope Apple just sent the wrong memo and will reopen the repository perhaps under a different name. Fortunately, it is FLOSS, so there are some copies more or less up to date floating around but, Apple, smarten up, be polite and give some notice next time. It is quite legal for an owner to change the terms of licensing or even to stop distribution but it’s not wise to annoy users/contributors/customers. What were they thinking?

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Apple Breaks FLOSS

1. terry jacks wrote, of Apple, “Riiight, because their charming record towards FLOSS means that this is probably just a simple mistake.”

I have no doubt that Apple thinks of Apple first, but in any acquisition/merger of businesses, it’s obvious things do fall through the cracks. Who knows what’s in the contract/agreement? Perhaps Apple wanted stuff under their control and there is an hiatus as stuff is moved to their servers… I just don’t know what their intentions are. CUPS is FLOSS and Apple seems to have done the right thing with it. Apple has come under new management. Perhaps enlightenment has arrived.
    whois cups.org
    Registrant Organization:Apple Inc.

2. terry jacks says:

Ive read way too many articles about this which claim this was because open source is flawed.
    Of course, like mentioned elsewhere this was core closed and some components open which is the problem. But its got just enough truth in it that it fits nicely in the agendas.

>Let’s hope Apple just sent the wrong memo

Most people reading this probably barely lifted a brow and though “Yeah, sounds like a dick move Apple would pull.”

3. kurkosdr says:

Obviously, you never used Latex, trying writing higher math equations without it..you will fail!

Dogbrain, nobody said Latex is useless. I was replying to the idiotic comment of “If it’s not worth doing in LaTeX, it’s not worth writing!!”.

KUKU, you’re the idiot for even thinking that I do not know WTF Powerpoint is/was has-been. But do inform me of my ignorance, what is Powerpoint, please share your knowledge!

5. kurkosdr says:

I do not use Impress, I always created slides in Writer then converted to PDF and ran presentations in Chrome.

Lol, the person who posted this thinks PowerPoint is just an app that allows you to lay text and images on a slide. This proving my point. Those people have no idea what modern PowerPoint is, and I am too bored to explain.

If it’s not worth doing in LaTeX, it’s not worth writing!!

Not sure if trolling or just stupid.

FoundationDB is just being the classic case depend on a closed source part wake up one day to find the rug pulled out from under you.

7. Deaf Spy says:

YouDon’tNeedThat(tm)

You are so predictable, Dougie. 🙂

I have used Latex before in Mediawiki and LibreOffice.

Dated???

Writer works well enough for me on many levels, perhaps you don’t know what you are doing?

9. LinuxGentlesir says:

If it’s not worth doing in LaTeX, it’s not worth writing!!

10. kurkosdr says:

Word 97 = Office 97

(yes I quit proofreading a week ago, boo)

11. kurkosdr says:

Eh, this was done to OpenOffice, so people forked it and it became LibreOffice, which is better.

But without any Sun/Oracle capital and human resources in, it becomes more dated by the day.

And while their Writer kinda works if you need the absolute basics (and save as .doc), Impress is a total joke. It’s like firing up Word 97, with extra bugs. If your last contact with PowerPoint was back then (I am looking at you Pog), of course you won’t complain much. But when you have experienced PowerPoint’s templates, superb Shape tools, superb rotation abilities, management of the stack (ability to push images further down or further up the stack), and alighment abiliies, then Impress looks like an undergraduate put up a GitHub repository with the note “hey guys!!11! I just created this tool that allows you to put text and images on a slide!!11!! (and maybe video)”

Note: The core of FoundationDB was closed source, but many components around it were open sourced. What this means is that people using those open source components relied on the FoundationDB core which now, alas, is no longer available

13. kurkosdr says:

(insert Photoshopped picture of Tim Cook in Dr. Evil pose)

I agree with you on that, dick move by Apple.