How The Mighty Art Fallen (Smartphones)

You can tell Android/Linux is a giant-killer by counting the number of giants killed: two, iOS from Apple and that other OS from M$ (three, if you count Nokia as an entity).“In the smartphone OS market, Android continued to increase its market share with a rise of 22 percent (see Table 2). On the other hand, Windows lost market share.” While M$ is struggling to maintain sales of that other OS on PCs, it’s barely moved the needle on smartphones. Oh yes, they did sell 9 million units but that was in a quarter when Android/Linux sold 250 million units, and Android/Linux did it the hard way in open competition. No hot house monopoly required… Meanwhile, Apple sold 9 million more units than last year while achieving 12.7% market share. Android/Linux got 83%. So, the “one true way” and the company run by “geniuses” giving “creatives” what they want, are holding small niches in a market owned by Android/Linux through FLOSS goodness and ordinary hard work.

See Gartner Says Sales of Smartphones Grew 20 Percent in Third Quarter of 2014.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to How The Mighty Art Fallen (Smartphones)

DrLoser everyone of those modified names you just admitted to is a criminal offense of deformation. This is the problem you don’t know the law of what you are allowed to.

Well, I only admitted to one — and even that was a Twitter tag. And I think, if you examine them closely, there’s not a one of them that includes every single letter in “oh, I am over here, mate.”

Anyway, how’s that standing by a lamp-post night-time gainful employment going for you, “Fifi?”

I’d hate to think I’d set the Twitter tag up for no good financial reason.

Mostly, I was called “Mr. Pogson”. Hence the name of this site.

I suspect “Robert, CAT-3 Networking Genius!” would have been a better sales point, Robert.

Oh well, that’s why neither one of us has scaled the heights that Jim Zemlin has scaled.

We’re both too honest for our own good.

I didn’t question your pursuit of network excellence with a budget, Robert. I’m sure you cabled it all up with the best.

I merely pointed out that you started out with CAT-3, which you here accept.

And I pointed out that you relied on somebody else, not a million miles away from this site, for advice on that particular network.

Would it hurt you to admit who that “secret other person” was?

Robert Pogson Cat-3 comment by DrLoser is another case of DrLoser creating fiction to support his world view. Something I have had to be regularly bashing DrLoser for is miss quoting or modify quotes.

Believe me when I tell you, oiaohm: I would far rather stick a finger down my throat than have any association whatsoever with your name.

Yes the hamster and ham joke is deformation.

None of us here modify other people names that much. In fact we frown on it.

This is the funny thing most bulling is criminal.

6. DrLoser wrote, “I decided that a senescent old fool who was directly responsible for Robert’s otherwise unaccredited rise as the CAT-3 Networking Genius of the North was an ideal target.”

I mostly found CAT-3 as patch cabling, probably a leftover from previous LANs. I replaced a lot of it. I used gigabit over CAT-5 several places but installed CAT-6 where I had the budget. One place had CAT-6 everywhere, professionally installed, but it was outrageously expensive because of time-pressure. It took the professionals with a large crew two weeks to do the job and that’s about all the time we had before school started because of other delays in construction. I don’t think any of my behaviour in the north rates me the appellation, “CAT-3 Networking Genius”. Mostly, I was called “Mr. Pogson”. Hence the name of this site.

I have a very big suspect now that DrLoser posted as you [olderman] because the errors I saw match DrLosers under researched style.

And you’ve caught me out. Posting as Deaf Spy was too easy. I decided that a senescent old fool who was directly responsible for Robert’s otherwise unaccredited rise as the CAT-3 Networking Genius of the North was an ideal target.

Naturally, I drank too much and got confused between the two.

That post you identified? It was in fact me (Dr Loser) misrepresenting Robert (Mr Pogson) misrepresenting Olderman.

I can see how that might have got you a little confused, Fifi.

Its not Drloser. Thinking you are willing to use fake handles I am in my right to think you will be one the criminals that fake posted as my name slightly modified.

Ah well, I’m slightly relieved.

You might not believe this, but I was worried that you were losing your mind. The thought occurred to me that you had posted something even more bizarre than your typical post, had forgotten that you’d posted it, and had immediately jumped to the conclusion that I had somehow hijacked your name.

And yet you interest me strangely. These “slightly modified” names.

Anything like “Fifi La Belle Dame de GiMP Ecstasy?”

Or “Boiled Herring Guts — I Know Why Jethro Tull is short of a turnip!”

Or even “Hamster: Your friendly, cuddly pet who occasionally bites back and accuses you of being a criminal?”

I’ll admit to one of those, oiaohm. But only one. And even then, it was only a Twitter tag.

I sincerely hope that this is your idea of a joke, oiaohm.

DrLoser has also fake posted as me.

I sincerely hope that this is your idea of a joke, oiaohm.

DrLoser
    Writing like olderman is slightly more difficult, but not impossible. I cannot rid myself of the suspicion that the old buffoon should be taken out the back and shot, for his own good.
    olderman read what DrLoser said. I have a very big suspect now that DrLoser posted as you because the errors I saw match DrLosers under researched style.

There are posts out there that are incorrect with your handle on them olderman one claiming that closed source is more secure than FOSS.

Olderman I may display no handle but I don’t go around posting as fake handles including using other peoples handles. DrLoser has also fake posted as me.

Get DrLoser mad enough he was going to admit what he had been up to.

12. olderman says:

“I endeavour to be scrupulously fair.

A cite please, olderman.”

Hmmmm… I should have been more clear in my sarcasm. Indeed, it is difficult to prove by citation that either of these supposed pro-FOSS jokers have any standards at all, let alone whose standards are higher.

13. olderman says:

“olderman I am never leaving so get over yourself. ”

Oh I know that you are going nopwhere Lil’Hammie. You like the attention after all. . However I will continue to call you out as the liar and fraud that you are whenever you address me directly until you demonstrate your “knowledge” of the IBM SAN Volume Controller.

“Also calling me a lier and a fraud I am sorry to say you have spread more lies than me. ”

That’s an interesting statement. Care to provide a cite where you can PROVE that what I said was a lie?

I think it is because:

(1) if a device is already running Android/Linux then it is easy to install other distributions of Linux. [and two more very sensible propositions]

Good to see somebody thinking about this, ram, and thank you for a reasoned reply. I do agree that, obviously, Android has a massive marketing advantage (one of those things that Mr Pogson tends to pooh-pooh when they come from the Dark Side), which is I think a large part of your second point.

But I’m not convinced that point (3) has much bearing on the matter. The world builds bigger idiots all the time, as you and I well know.

And I’m not convinced that point (1), which is probably 100% valid from a technical point of view, is hugely relevant either. What percentage of Gnu/Linux/Android purchasers take advantage of this? I’m guessing a small Technorati or so. You might be interested enough. I wouldn’t, although I might change my mind. My neighbours, no way.

No, Robert’s honest admission that the rest of Gnu/Linux/Smartphones languishes at ~0.1% prompted an honest question here. For example, take Canonical. It’s no secret that Mark Shuttleworth bet what was left of the Ubuntu farm on tablets and smart phones back in 2013. And this is a very, very positive review.

Now, it so happens that Shuttleworth might not be the finest Marketroid ever. He certainly made an over-ambitious pitch the first time round: $700 or so, an Apple Killer. (Never gonna happen: see Surface.)

But according to this (not a great cite, but all I could find), the things are supposed to be on the shelves at between $200 and $400 by now. Which is a reasonable price point, compared to a Nexus or a Galaxy, I would say.

Are they going to go anywhere? No, they’re almost certainly not. Because it’s not the Linux in the phone that sells.

It’s the Phone.

DrLoser I have some bad news. You and Deaf Spy has posted on one of my websites before. I do know what countries you are in so don’t try pretending you are using some script. You are not even in the same country and a script could never do it.

Glad to hear that the Tin Foil Hat is fitted so securely that you trawl around for personal information in your personal server logs, oiaohm. Have you considered a career in the NSA? They could use somebody as single-minded as you.

Of course, they might be put off by your (no doubt temporary) inability to recognise the possibility of IP redirection. Full disclosure: I use — and recommend — CyberGhost for this purpose.

In passing, I will point out that I am nothing like you, oiaohm. What a vile ad hominem attack.

I do use colons, where appropriate. For example, I used two colons in this post on this thread: both appropriate.

Other than for purposes of irony, I abhor using an exclamation mark. Trouble is, there’s a lot to be ironic about round here!

And I don’t even understand where this idea that I use a comma or a period in place of a colon comes from. I have many stylistic flaws, I admit, but I can’t say I’ve ever noticed that one.

Now, as to the ability to write a la mode d’etranger, oiaohm, I admit that I could never write like you. The very thought of such an over-reaching aim makes me feel quite ill.

However: writing as DeafSpy? I believe I make that mild subterfuge seem quite convincing.

And yet, I treasure my imaginary friends and allies, oioahm. What have you got? You’re not even talented up to come up with a single imaginary friend of your own.

And God Knows, your many and various follies and abject inaccuracies are not going to be backed up by anybody else round here, imaginary or not.

16. ram says:

I think it is because:

(2) retailers don’t want to deal with explaining another user interface.

and

(3) the Android interface is pretty idiot proof.

By the way I do conner DrLoser quite regularly.

It was my posts here that triggered Deaf Spy if prior responses are to go by. Proving that DrLoser knowledge is only based on what Google can find. HP thin clients 8 to 15 year warranty. This is not the only brand with huge warranty.

Thin client providers make it very hard to Google and find out what there max warranty is.

How do you know DrLoser has lost on a artical recently on a site. You see DrLoser machine gun posting. Like 3 to 4 posts in row instead of 1 or 2.

All I need todo to conner DrLoser is tell the truth. I have DrLoser so far fooled that I will be lieing that he attempts to call my bluff without having suitable research. Googling is not research.

Also when DrLoser has lost somewhere recently his friend olderman turns up to make some noise to also draw attention away from how incompetent DrLoser really is. I really do think olderman is getting suckered into doing this.

Re “you are a liar and a fraud and I do not have discussions with liars and frauds. You know what you need to do to change this . Until you do so, piss off.”

Does this mean that you won’t come around anymore? I mean, it IS Christmas and perhaps Santa will come through, perhaps not, either way I am not holding my breath on a troll.

Eh.

olderman I am never leaving so get over yourself. Also calling me a lier and a fraud I am sorry to say you have spread more lies than me.

Olderman you asked one for the wrong information and got told no and could not take it.

20. olderman says:

“olderman…”

Lil’Hammie, you are a liar and a fraud and I do not have discussions with liars and frauds. You know what you need to do to change this . Until you do so, piss off.

Thank heavens for this time-delayed curl script I implemented!
    Even so bull crap like this cannot not work when the post quoted from is only 15 before before the post. I have checked for time delay stunts DrLoser. Look at my broad range of times of posting that you and Deaf Spy has responded to some too close for the time to be a script stunt.

Other difference DrLoser like me never uses “:” Deaf Spy always uses it. DrLoser will always incorrect use a “,” or “.” instead of a “:”. DrLoser always loves using “!” and Deaf Spy never uses them. Those are the most in the face differences. There is a long list of grammar style differences. Sentence construction is also different . Basically neither writing style matches.

Correct arguement would have been that you stay up late and post under a different handle. Basically by being a idiot you just confirmed you are not the same person so giving kurkosdr his answer.

If anyone on this page has writing style that matches Deaf Spy its satrain18.

By the way Gartner numbers bundle all Android runtime phones into one group. This include Sailfish OS and will include Ubuntu on phones.

Gartner had done this with Java on phones.

olderman Gartners Android numbers are not restricted to just he commercial OS Android. AOSP, Color OS … huge stack of OS’s bundle.

22. DrLoser wrote, “if Android is, indeed, “Android/Linux,” then why don’t more people buy phones with “Other/Linux?””

It’s probably something to do with risk. If everyone is doing X, it’s risky to do Y, unless of course you succeed beyond your wildest dreams. That’s perceived risk. We know */Linux sells and users love it, so it wasn’t much risk to give it a shot a few years ago. Now the market is demanding Android/Linux so it’s pushing water uphill to supply GNU/Linux. It would take some R&D and actual salesmen convinced GNU/Linux, say, was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Apple or Samsung have the grit to do things like that but there isn’t much incentive if Android/Linux is good enough. I think GNU/Linux would be better because it’s not interpreted but Moore’s Law is making that argument irrelevant. Where are we now, 8 2gHz cores and 4gB RAM? Who would even notice if Android were a bit slower than GNU? A few years ago when a single 1gHz core was struggling, GNU/Linux could have caught on, because it would have been noticeably better, but now GNU/Linux is just noise in that space. Google could have chosen GNU and GPL but preferred to do otherwise. They also wanted the leverage of developers’ familiarity with Java and caught a fast-moving train with that move alone. GNU/Linux in smartphones may happen eventually if folks treat them as general-purpose PC + smartphone combined. GNU/Linux would be very useful for the general stuff like word-processing/browsing/video/graphics/audio/database/servery. Instead I think we’ll see Android diversify to enable some GNU/Linux applications and GNU/Linux diversify to make Android/Linux a standard part of many distros. I think the “one OS fits all screens” concept of M$ and Canonical is wrong. It mashes together too many different approaches, like touch for a huge screen or spreadsheets for a small screen. Those ideas just don’t work. They make work instead of solving real problems of users and don’t use the real skills of users. I can point at things with my finger but on a high-res screen, it’s much better to use a mouse/pointing device. I can type like blazes on a real 3-D keyboard but a screen on a smartphone is like trying to write the Bible on a postage-stamp.

I can see eventually the smartphone will be everyone’s future PC and lots of desks will have docks where whatever OSes one has on a smartphone would be able to use screen, keyboard and mouse attached to the dock. The dock might even be bluetooth/wireless except for charging and that might be inductive. A desktop computer may become just a virtual machine running on a smartphone. To some extent the OS may be irrelevant to users but for security/throughput/reliability folks are going to want a */Linux OS because they know it works and they associate downtime with that other OS and high prices with Apple’s stuff.

Even Lil’Hammie has higher standards than that.

I endeavour to be scrupulously fair.

A cite please, olderman.

24. olderman says:

“Are you the fabled last-ditch defender of oiaohm‘s honour that he latterly alluded to, Dougie? How sweet, Mr Second-Hand SAN-man!”

I doubt, it. Even Lil’Hammie has higher standards than that

“Hath” would work, Robert, assuming you don’t mind the elision of “The Mighty” into a sort of collective noun.

Just trying to be of assistance here.

No such thing as an Older/Man, you’re just OLD!

Wow! He really has got under your skin for some reason, hasn’t he?

Incidentally, Robert, if anything it should be “How art the Mighty Fallen.” In much the same way that William Shakespeare once asked, “oiaohm, wherefore art thou?”

(I can provide you with a link to “wherefore, in case the point of the joke is not immediately obvious.)

And, since “art” is in fact second-person singular … well, it’s not an especially good fit.

Sounds very hifalutin’, though.

No such thing as an Older/Man, you’re just OLD!

As far as I know other */Linux have only a minute share of smartphones.

Indeed. Roughly 0.1%, I believe, which is 1/10th of the share that QNX/Blackberry has.

Here’s an interesting question for you: if Android is, indeed, “Android/Linux,” then why don’t more people buy phones with “Other/Linux?”

I would suggest that the answer is that people buy Android phones, not Linux phones. I would further suggest that if the kernel was, say, FreeBSD, then just as many people would buy “Android/FreeBSD” phones.

It is of course lovely that Google took this particular lame-duck operating system under their wing, but let’s face it, they could have picked from quite a number of other ones. There’s certainly nothing special about Linux that makes it the pre-eminent choice for a JVM.

30. olderman says:

“No. It was 83% Android/Linux. ”

No Robert Pogson. There is no such thing as Android/Linux. There is only the commercial OS named Android.

DeafSpy cannot be DrLoser time of posts is impossible for DrLoser.

Thank heavens for this time-delayed curl script I implemented!

But I would suspect DeafSpy is DrLoser superior.

Aha! Gotcha!

Turns up when DrLoser is losing.

Which, on this thread, would be precisely when, oiaohm?

And why does nobody turn up when you are losing? Granted, it would be a thoroughly exhausting and not very rewarding job, but still.

32. satrain18 wrote, “More like Android 81%, Linux 2%.”

No. It was 83% Android/Linux. Read TFA. This was almost all on small cheap computers, smartphones. Tablets, desktops and every other form of computer were not included in that number. As far as I know other */Linux have only a minute share of smartphones.

33. satrain18 says:

‘Android/Linux got 83%’

More like Android 81%, Linux 2%. Read my lips: Android is NOT in the same category as desktop Linux. So why do lump the two together to make Linux look good? You’re like Mark Shuttleworth when he declared Bug #1 closed, https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1. This is the first sentence:

“Microsoft has a majority market share in the new desktop PC marketplace.”

So basically, Shuttleworth copped out and piggybacked on Android’s success on smartphones and tablets. Technically speaking, the bug is still open, much to the backlash of (most of) the Linux community. Only the most diehard Linux evangelists didn’t criticized him.

Speaking of which, I can’t fathom how can a 60+ year old man act and write like a 16 year old Linux fanatic.

Deaf Spy OSi and Android on phones is following the same kind of path as AIX and Linux in supercomputers.

Apple at 38 million sales is large enough to maintain for a while. Problem here is simple volume issue.

Remember Windows Phone is reduced to one ODM vendor. Apple if they are not careful could also find themselves without ODM vendor competition.

Samsung 100 million plus units come out of 6+ factories.

Android is fairly lucky being Linux kernel based is able to pick up access to broader range of hardware from more vendors even using mixture of chips in a single product line.

Exactly why is 38 million a volume issue for Apple. Apple likes unique CPU units. Finding a factory with the means to make 30 million chips is a problem. There is only so large you can go in the phone market without a flexible design and without being able to acquire supplied from multi vendors.

kurkosdr
    DeafSpy, are you DrLoser?
    DeafSpy cannot be DrLoser time of posts is impossible for DrLoser. But I would suspect DeafSpy is DrLoser superior. Turns up when DrLoser is losing.

kurkosdr DrLoser normally posts in the PM and DeafSpy posts in the AM.

36. kurkosdr says:

DeafSpy, are you DrLoser?

37. Deaf Spy wrote, “Apple keep being the king of monetarization of the mobile app market”.

A business is allowed to limit itself to a niche market like rich foolish folks who throw money around. That makes Apple just about irrelevant to most folks.

38. Deaf Spy says:

At the same time, Apple keep being the king of monetarization of the mobile app market. And, in the name of science, some references:

At the end of 2014, Apple is not doing bad at all at the device market:

Premature joy, Mr. Pogson.

Another market M$ does not control.