HP Perfects the All-in-One PC And It Runs Android/Linux

Need a 21-inch monitor? How about a PC bundled with that including Android/Linux for $400?
“The screen is the Slate 21’s strong-point. A 21.5-inch, 1920 x 1080 IPS LCD affair, it’s bright enough for indoor use. It’s sharp, colourful and good to look at from almost any viewing angle. The last fact is rather important because HP sees the Slate 21 as a device the family will huddle around. Narrow viewing angles would have put the kibosh on that.”slate-banner-21

See HP’s ENORMO-SLAB: The Slate 21 MONSTER tablet.

The problem with All-in-One PCs to date has been that they come with that other OS and huge increment in price. This thing will cost you less than a monitor, ATX box and a licence for that other OS,… a lot less. Powered by the Nvidia Tegra CPU, it doesn’t need any fan or bulky PSU.

Specs:

• Android 4.2 w/multi-user support
  • Nvidia Tegra Quad Core T40S
  • 1GB DDR3-800MHz SDRAM
  • 8GB Flash Memory
  • 21.5″ diagonal touch screen; 16:9 widescreen IPS full HD LED backlit display; 2-point touch enabled

See HP Slate 21-k100 All-in-One Desktop PC – $399

Whew! 2013 is heating up as my weather cools down! This looks like a PC that will replace a lot of legacy PCs with their bulk, cabling, fans, heat and noise… My Beast is trembling in the corner… I wonder how long it would take to build a kernel on this thing? Heh, I don’t need to do that in real time anyway… This thing could work for me if Beast weren’t healthy and I wasn’t overstocked with monitors. I expect copycats and lower prices still to come.

Wow!Small cheap computers are maturing quickly. Chuckle…

Alun Taylor at The Register gets the final word: “If you’re after something for domestic web browsing, light computing duties, social networking and media consumption, the HP Slate 21 has plenty to recommend it. It’s powerful, affordable, easy on the eye, comes with all the expected Android/Google goodies and services, and has a great screen and speaker combination.
It may be an answer to a question you’ve not asked, but it’s an impressive answer nonetheless. HP’s PR wallahs are going to have to go some to prise this one away from me.”

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to HP Perfects the All-in-One PC And It Runs Android/Linux

1. ram says:

There are a number of similar devices available. I’ve seen a 27 inch Linux tablet (more like a table than tablet) at a trade show a few months ago. Some use ARM, some use Intel. In any event the trend is clear — Linux and lower power consumption.

Robert Pogson silent ones do exist. It takes a lot more effort in design.

I would guess bw is refering to one of the XPS One 27 dell releations. Some of them are fan-less.

Robert Pogson reality here PC’s don’t need fans in lots of cases if the case is designed for them. Only moving part is the hard drive.

There are many makers of fanless PC’s http://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/fit-pc3/

Majority of PC sound comes from the fans so no fans that is majority gone. Due to heavy heat sinks and other items around a fanless machine the harddrive noise is also highly suppressed.

The machine bw is refering to robert is not some generic ATX box. Its a dell all in one.

ATX boxes suffer from the problem of 1 size fits all. So something has to suffer. In the case of ATX boxes noise control and cooling suffer and noise from cool is the price that being paid.

Sound is vibrations of air. Blowing air creates vibration. Brillent right. Air based cooling = noise. Lot of the dell all on ones are using heat sinks to spread the heat out cross the back of them. Yes quite yes feel cool because the heat is not all focused. But are they really running cool. No they are not. In fact the power usage rating of them gives away that they are burning quite a bit of power that has to be turning into heat somewhere. The heat if you have airconditioning also has to be removed. So its a double hit 1 the pc eats more power and you airconditioner eats more power getting rid of the pc heat in summer. PC heat generation also loses a nice percentage to worthless sound. So PC heating in winter is also not a effective option either.

Robert Pogson I work in some highly dirty envorments. So I have got use to ordering fanless PC’s. Particulars model dell all in ones about 3 years was on the list of machine for highly dirty envorments. So fanless.

bw is yours a 27″ dell touchscreen all in 1 fanless. If not its not the quiet version but the minorally noisy version. Doing a pin drop test will show you if it has a fan its not that quiet. The fanless dell you can do pin drop test with it on or off and get almost the same results. Yes truly silent.

Robert Pogson I can understand your questioning of it. Silent machines do exist. When you start using them they are slightly worring when they are powering on. Takes a while to work out you are missing the fan noise when you hit the power button so are questioning if you turned the machine on.

bw that is the other thing. Was it freaky to use at first. A true silent machine is kinda freaky. Yes it was fun because at one place we have both the fanless all in one dell and the one with a fan. You could watch people having take twos/threes… on the fanless. Even that you could barely hear the difference. Your subconscious mind reacts to it. When I have not worked around silent pc’s for a while I find myself doing the same things again.

3. oiaohm wrote, “bw claiming silent is valid.”

I’ve never seen a fan or hard drive that could not be heard. Some notebooks are pretty good but some ATX boxes are sirens. It’s not unusual to have dirty fans with out of balance blades and running at high RPM. I had one CPU cooler actual cast off a blade. Some large fans idling are pretty quiet but they speed up when the temperature rises. Even if noise and heat are not a problem the accumulation of dirt is. Imagine a vacuum cleaner running 24×7 in a linty environment.

bw the legacy pc you are refering to you have never had many of them in a room. They do produce quite a bit of heat and they do use quite a lot of power.

bw claiming silent is valid. Claiming cool running not so much.

bw that HP Slate 21 sips power. Under 20watts at full load. The machine you were refering to will not fire up on a 20 watt power supply. Yes its size and it max power nibble are close to each other.

This is the problem most new laptops will be lucky to be under 40 watts.

Basically there is no such thing as a free lunch. Big powerful machine has big power bills.

bw so those on tight budgets a device like HP could be ideal. Those in countries who have unstable powersupplies something like the HP slate might be ideal again. Lower the draw longer UPS runs.

bw measurable heat how were you measuring with human skin that is kinda the worst metric going. Point a IR camera at it and you will notice where the heat is flowing out. Dell did a really good job on the cooling to make it mix with the air around it so hiding its head to users. Does not hide from the camera.

bw 6 year old dell is not as power effective.

These are just some nice rough example maths.
    –For example, 20c per 1kWh, 750W PSU:
    0.2 x 0.75 x 24 = $3.60 per day–
    0.2 x 0.02 x24 or about 10 cents per day in power. So a 2 to 3 dollar a difference per day. Or about 1 1/5 years the power saving has paid for the HP device. Ok new generation laptops with 40 watt power supplies the saving time is a lot longer. The 40watt power supply laptops are not that powerful.

So something like a HP Slate makes it highly questionable giving second hand PC’s away instead of crushing them for metal.

Even some of the new laptops it is also high questionable to use a old PC due to the power bill the old PC is going to hit you with. When the power bill running the old machine is going to be greater than buying a new machine and using and paying the power bill for the new machine you have to start asking your self some questions.

bw I am sorry but you 6 year old dell is scrap metal in my eyes. Yes I recycling machines when I have to. But I work on costs. This is also one of the reasons why I like thin clients or android to terminal server ideas. Yes the power saving alone can pay for a thin client network.

Some of the reasons for the PC slow down is OEM not being able to market the improvements in power usage of PC correctly. Like this PC new uses less power than your 5 year old one and will pay for itself in power savings.

5. dougman wrote, “touch is not catching on with users”.

There are two kinds of users, those who type and those who don’t. Those who type have their hands far from the screen and touch is a second-class experience. Those who don’t type can have their hands hanging around the screen ready to touch as needed. Also hands on a screen get in the way of seeing what’s on the screen so it’s a more limited way of pointing and clicking. Basically, you need bigger targets and fewer of them. Some applications lend themselves to touch. Others do not. I think browsing is better done with a screen and mouse-pointer. Making some choices in an application might be better done by finger. If your fingers are typing, the mouse is closer.

There are extremes that prefer one or another BTW. I’ve seen young people point and click with a mouse faster than I can follow the pointer… I’ve seen people type with their thumbs quite nicely. I can do neither. Mobility is the big thing. Mobile people probably are going to do things that require less typing normally. A machine without a keyboard is simply more mobile. A machine with a keyboard is just easier to use for typing.

Touch on smartphones and tablets is huge, a growing industry. I expect OEMs will seek ways to make touch easier for the rest of us in order to gain/keep market-share. I expect voice will sooner or later work well enough to replace both touch and typing for many. The last time I tried voice it created a huge number of errors and was almost useless for entering URIs, yet the OEMs keep improving voice. The ultimate interface will predict what you do next and work on body-language and other clues as well as voice, touch and typing altogether. Give it a year or two. Canonical is heading that way. Samsung and Apple, too, I bet. Meanwhile M$ is still debugging copy and paste last I heard.

“…you can pinch, zoom or touch select”

Sounds like Android or ChromeOS, but WITH the malware and constant crashes.

See the thing is, touch is not catching on with users, the very thing M$ hoped that would help sell itself with Surface, has become yet another failure.

Also Windows RT looks to be going tits-up, chalk one more failure of M$.

So, with failure in RT, failure of Surface, failure of Windows 8 and NO worthy CEO to guide the ship, M$ is lost and will be insignificant in five years.

7. bw says:

You have a terrible time with maintaining context. Pogson commented on the all-in-one’s lack of noise and heat production. The 6 year old Dell was similarly quiet and cool running. Quit being so anal.

It is loaded with Windows 8 Pro now. Works like a giant phone screen that you can pinch zoom or touch select.

being 21 inchs you can fairly much say it was not built for the portable market.

bw no measurable heat you must have very poor measuring equipment or not enough of them.

bw sorry not going to be a hit. Somehow I don’t believe you. That tablet is suitable as as a more powerful thin client.

For a stand alone PC I would say its a bit lacking. Mind you its still only a 32 bit arm chip.

“I don’t think”…. that says it all.

Silly man no one wants Vista, everyone knows that Windows is crap!

10. bw says:

Forgot to mention it was an all-in-one.

11. bw says:

This looks like a PC that will replace a lot of legacy PCs

Years ago I bought a 27″ Dell touchscreen PC with a wireless key board and mouse. Came with Vista. It also came with 4 mb of RAM and 320GB hard drive. Built in Wi-Fi, too. No noise or measurable heat either.

This Android peanut whistle doesn’t have much capacity as people expect in today’s world. I don’t think that it is going to be much of a hit with anyone, even Linux fans.