And It Came To Pass That */Linux Attacked The Monopoly

“Less Windows, more Android. Acer is about to give us a taste of this trend, as Android PCs begin to creep onto the market.

The Acer DA220HQL comes with a 21.5-inch multi-touch display 1,920×1,080 display, Android 4.0, and a Texas Instruments OMAP 4430 dual-core ARM Coretex-A9 processor.”
see Acer all-in-one will run Android

Come on retailers, the OEMs are doing their jobs to deliver what users of IT want. Do your part and give these PCs retail shelf-space. This will make 2013 the year competition returned to IT in every segment. It’s good for your customers and your bottom line. Stuff clogging retail shelves that doesn’t sell is a waste of your resources.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to And It Came To Pass That */Linux Attacked The Monopoly

BobK MK802 don’t come with cable and do plug straight in. No one in there right mind should recommend an MK802 or anything of the same basic idea large plug into socket is asking for it.

Not when MK808 and there releations exist. Yes it has to be box and cable solution or you are asking for it.

MK808 would be about the smallest box there is.

BobK if you what to be correct a MK808 is not a stick computer. Is a very small box computer. Cable is nice since if something is causing it interferance you can move it.

2. BobK says:

I have one of the stick computers, the GV-20 (MK808 with better wifi). It mounts with double stick tape to the backside of my 52″ Sanyo; connected via the supplied HDMI cable (NOT hanging directly out of the HDMI port, I’m not stupid….);and has a KX400 wireless keyboard/mouse USB adapter on the end of a 24″ USB extension (keeps the wireless keyboard adapter away from the rest of the unit). All works really well wirelessly. My router is about 20 feet from the TV and I can stream Netflix and other movies and music from my desktop to the TV via the stick quite nicely. Android 4.1.1 works really well. I surf, stream, email, text with zero problems. And it’s quite snappy with the dual core cpu. It does what I want it to do which is quite simple. If I want to do massive graphics codec conversions, I’ll use my desktop instead. That’s not what this little stick is for. Choose the right tool for the right job! $62 for the stick, another $29 for the keyboard. Full Android “computer” for less than $100. I AM attracted to that box unit someone mentioned, more capability there!

3. ram says:

Shuttle has been selling Linux “all in one” devices for years. They are very popular as point of sales devices and for retail targeted signage. They also have a reasonable market as industrial controllers.

Personally, I doubt if AIO’s are going to catch on in the home. Perhaps, but it would be mostly a matter of marketing.

oe problem is its easy than doing what you did in past.

Netcom modem/wifi + usb harddrive + some minor settings in the web interface.

No special box. No special parts. Basically preconfigured Linux items are appearing todo the job more and more. Not extras either only extras being the storage drive.

5. George Hostler says:

Robert Pogson: AIOs with a wireless keyboard and mouse are an excellent choice for many situations.

Robert, you are definitely correct on that. I can where say one could watch Netflix on it, then browse the Internet whilst shopping on Amazon.com, E-Bay or you-name-it websites, then hook up a netbook to it for a larger display to work on documents.

Here is what Electronics Weekly Android powers Acer DA220HQL Smart Display had to say:

This is what Acer has to say on the YouTube video below: The Acer DA220HQL Smart Display can connect to a PC to act as a standard touchscreen, or it can operate independently as a large Android™ tablet. You can use this device to navigate the web with touch and in Full HD brilliance. Used as a tablet, you can also explore and download thousands of Android apps, many for free. This 21.5″ display sports stylish design features and tilts back from vertical to almost horizontal, so it’s easy to hang on a wall or place flat on a table or counter.

The YouTube video wasn’t available, so here is a similar one: Acer DA220HQL Smart Display – The monitor that doubles as a tablet

It is one impressive device and I think you are right about it dropping in price as it gains popularity.

6. oe says:

“This is the thing. In the home we are moving away from storage in device to network storage.”

Very true and Linux has been a natural for getting this done. Got sick of looking for DvD’s for the wife and having a giant box of cases. So set up a machine to encode each one as they were played and make avi’s. After about 2-3 years and a mop up of the rest placed the ball of wax on two mirrored (easy to do with bash scripting) 3 TB drives. With a linux boot partition (I think I used Debian with X-term off at boot-time) on the storage, I can plug these drives into any x86 of opportunity, currently an old laptop with the wireless gone and the battery shot, and instant DNLA UnPnP, home movies, photos, tor relay node, reverse DNS, PXE boot image push, and other services. The flexibility of the penguin is amazing, wouldn’t even want to try this with a boat-anchor like Windows Home Server.

7. George Hostler wrote of an Android/Linux AIO PC, “I didn’t know such devices exist.”

AIOs are not hugely popular yet as the newest are pretty expensive but as the supply chains and markets mature the price will fall rapidly. I predicted years ago that CPUs, RAM, etc. would melt into keyboard or monitor. It’s the right way to do IT, with fewer packages and less to go wrong. In the old days when ATX was king, the most common “failure” was mangled PS/2 connector pins. AIOs with a wireless keyboard and mouse are an excellent choice for many situations. Schools might need metal detectors to police thefts, however… In just about every other situation, AIOs should be about right.

Robert Pogson I forgot sneaker net storage. Yes that is also coming back in volume.

9. oiaohm wrote, “we are moving away from storage in device to network storage.”

Flash drives and usb drives are getting a lot of work these days. We have several in my home and all my relatives have them.

10. wrote, “Simply buy a display and one of those ubiquitous mini Android computers (like this one”.

iMacs are proof people will pay extra for an all in one. Many consumers hate connecting cables. They fear making a mistake or think cables are ugly. That’s one reason that some people who don’t really care about mobility use a notebook computer.

Sorry Maou Sadao there is an advantage over the likes of mk802’s. They don’t include a wired network port either and the Wifi might be non functional due to position with the mk802’s.

http://liliputing.com/2013/05/a19-android-tv-box-with-dual-core-cpu-vga-hdmi-ethernet-more.html Same kind of thing as a mk802 100 dollars vastly more usable.

One of the big issues with mk802 is wifi from them can sux when they are straight behind the monitor itself. Then sticking out the side they provide a nice big lever to snap the port out of the screen or snap port off the mk802 leaving it stuck in screen and shorted.

Maou Sadao I guess you have never had a mk802 or equal. I would not recommend them to anyone. The box and cable is a lot safer.

Acer DA220HQL wifi can work because you don’t end up with the Arial sitting next to power-supply or other EMC noise area of screen.

So DA220HQL beats a Monitor with a mk802 in a lot of ways. But a DA220HQL loses to a proper Android tv box.

Its only the first generation from Acer Maou Sadao I hope the next models get better include Wired Ethernet and more usb ports and a sd card slot(it might have one but its not documented).

12. Maou Sadao says:

Very good, hamster. There’s still not a market for this thing. Another dead-on-arrival Android device. Not least because you can get the same thing for $200! Simply buy a display and one of those ubiquitous mini Android computers (like this one) that go into the HDMI or DVI port.

bw Storage in the device is becoming less of a issue. No wired Ethernet is a bit of a mistake on this one.

More and more adsl and wifi routers take a hard drive. Yes those its possible to PXE boot from. Does it have network connectivity yes.

14. George Hostler says:

Robert, what a fantastic device this is, a 22 inch diagonal monitor that can be used a stand alone cloud device with Android no less and 8 GB of solid state disk storage along with a wireless keyboard and mouse, excellent. I didn’t know such devices exist.

15. Maou Sadao says:

As far as I know there’s no battery inside at all. What Acer wants you to use it for:

If you’ve never heard of such a thing, Acer is hoping you’ll use as a kitchen PC, or as an external monitor for keeping an eye on things like email.

Sounds like a plan!

Oh, I’m sure we will see the OEMs cranking out dozens of new Android products by the week. I don’t disagree with Mr. Pogson there. But these products will include 95% throw-away stuff. Companies are already desperate to find ways to actually make money off of Android. But apart from the juggernaut Samsung hardly anyone is able to. I’d say the profit margins are actually higher for Windows products (even with the “tax”, LOL) than for the uninspired Android stuff OEMs are putting out. The funny thing is: Mr. Pogson always claims otherwise. He thinks losing Windows (and the “tax”, LOL) will give OEMs the opportunity to make huge profit.

What a delusional man he is.

16. bw says:

“It’ll fail”

I wonder about this sort of thing. If you read the reviews, it is a tablet with a huge screen and a really lousy battery, i.e. none, and you have to keep it plugged into the wall. It has a mere 8gb of storage and that is kind of slim, even for a cheapo. It does the same stuff as a phone or 7″ tablet and doesn’t seem to me to be much of a desirable item. It has all the mobile limitations plus not being mobile. I don’t think anyone will want one.

17. Maou Sadao says:

Why should I be worried? It’ll fail. So will you.

18. matchrocket says:

Oh look, Maou Sadao yawned. I guess that means a Microsoft troll doesn’t care that Linux/Android is creeping into the retail space. And that’s supposed to make a difference? Yawn yourself to sleep Maou, the world will be a better place when you do.

19. Maou Sadao says: