Steaming Ahead on GNU/Linux

Steam’s December stats show a sharp rise in use of GNU/Linux thanks to their new beta version. Since they recently opened the beta numbers should increase sharply. Since gaming, formerly an M$-mostly niche quickly garnered ~1%, it is clear that GNU/Linux runs on a lot more than 1% of desktop/notebook PCs. We’ve known that for many years but some still cling to NetApplications’ reality. This is a monthly survey and the change could be dramatic next month. Stay tuned.

OS share change
Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit 0.29%

+0.29%

Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS 64 bit 0.26%

+0.26%

Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS 0.13%

+0.13%

Ubuntu 12.10 0.12%

+0.12%

see Steam Hardware & Software Survey.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Steaming Ahead on GNU/Linux

1. THR says:

—comment deleted for ad hominem attack—

Please keep personal attacks out of this blog.

2. George Hostler says:

THR Jan 8th, 2013 at 12:59 am I never wrote anything like that, George. It’s quite the opposite: I have proposed that this site’s “Linux love” is merely a tool used for hating Microsoft.

Get your facts straight before you accuse me of writing things I never wrote.

I also did not claim that anyone here was a psychopath. That’s something you people brought into the discussion. That tells me something about you.

You must have a reading comprehension, THR, because I quoted Mr. Pogson, who quoted you (in quotes), then made the statement following the quotes.

So, it is you, THR that needs to get your facts straight. Also, I do not concur with your theory that because someone posts what you call “Linux love” is to be interpreted as Microsoft hate. Get a life.

3. THR wrote, ““Linux love” is merely a tool used for hating Microsoft.”

Nonsense. If M$ disappeared tomorrow this blog would continue spreading the good news about GNU/Linux and whatever else I am interested in. I don’t live to hate M$ but I do enjoy their downfall. I was doing computing long before M$ existed and would still enjoy my life after they go. I expect M$ to lose retail shelf-space during 2013 but I would like to see GNU/Linux get some of that. It’s happening but just not as fast as I would like. What M$ does is rapidly becoming irrelevant to me and the rest of the world.

4. THR says:

Get your facts straight before you accuse me of writing things I never wrote.

5. George Hostler says:

Robert Pogson: THR wrote, “It’s not about Linux love.” I am not a psychopath. I am capable of love and hate, normal human emotions.

Robert, I find it rather interesting that these individuals find that any liking toward Linux is hatred toward Microsoft. As in Young Frankenstein the movie, this is Abby Normal.

6. Ivan says:

Facts:
    Linux has 41 games available and hasn’t even topped Windows 8 installation which has 6.33% of the Steam installs.

Let us know when you have more than 100 games available and can beat the Windows 8 installation percentage.

THR really what blog are you reading. Humans always are more out spoken about the items they hate.

Tradesman normally don’t love there tools. We like them at most. Hate them at worst due to design faults and issues they cause.

This is why you guys are losing so much THR you presume we are working from point of MS Hate just because we state only to like level on Linux. Every Linux user hates something about Linux. Just we normally have more reason to hate Windows.

THR http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTI2ODE Steam is not the only one coming to Linux.

THR you guys are the psychopaths you attack without understanding what it means to be human.

Also I like the one comment on the maths based off steam information. Steam is only available for 3 platforms. Windows, OS X and Linux. The other site cannot add up. Ubuntu 0.8 + other 0.7= Linux number using steam since you must get the OS right to be able to download software. Other is Linux binary. So at best Ubuntu is only 50 percent of Linux. Since its not production release yet distribution like Debian don’t provide simple install.

So that is a nice 1.5% at steam is Linux currently OS X is 3.8. OS X version of steam has been released longer. So by end of this year OS X might be third rung with Linux as secound.

Some people laugh at roberts maths and cannot do maths themselves. THR I know where you from and it would be wiser to hang around with people who can do basic research to wake up Other in steam numbers is only 1 OS type.

So the idea that Linux is under 1 percent is bust already.

Nov 6, 2012 closed beta then the open Beta Dec 20. Closed better was under 0.3 percent. So in under a month Linux steam users have increased by over 1.2 percent. So if that does not slow down it will well and truly pass OS X by middle of year. Remember lot of Linux people don’t install Beta software as well.

So we now have a number that will give some of the web stats problems.

Steam counts by registered account. So if you have 4 Linux, 4 Windows machines you count as 1 Linux and 1 Windows machine.

So compare to some stats this is more an exact count of end users than number of machines.

8. THR wrote, “It’s not about Linux love.”

I am not a psychopath. I am capable of love and hate, normal human emotions.

9. THR says:

Mr. Pogson mentioned nothing of hate toward Microsoft in his article.

Dear George,

Mr. Pogson has officially declared that he HATES Microsoft, and every single one of his articles is written with this HATE in mind. It’s not about Linux love.

10. George Hostler says:

THR Jan 6th, 2013 at 1:42 am – And, last but not least, a question to you, dear Bob: you describe gaming as a “niche”. Then why the heck are you so excited that Steam now comes to Linux? I get it: it’s just more irrational Microsoft hate. Good for you, Bob.

Wow, just mentioning anything good about Linux brings these negative, derogatory comments. Mr. Pogson mentioned nothing of hate toward Microsoft in his article. It was of good toward Linux and how that even Steam has provided a way for Linux users to use the Windows game CD (that they purchased of course, Linux users like others do buy software) play their games.

Gee, now isn’t this a quaint reminder of the following court document?

Our mission is to establish Microsoft’s platforms as the de facto standards throughout the computer industry…. Working behind the scenes to orchestrate “independent” praise of our technology, and damnation of the enemy’s, is a key evangelism function during the Slog. “Independent” analyst’s report should be issued, praising your technology and damning the competitors (or ignoring them). […] Every possible source of leverage should be sought and turned to our advantage.

…. and the coupe de grâce:

In the Mopping Up phase, Evangelism’s goal is to put the final nail into the competing technology’s coffin, and bury it in the burning depths of the earth. Ideally, use of the competing technology becomes associated with mental deficiency, as in, “he believes in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and OS/2.” Just keep rubbing it in, via the press, analysts, newsgroups, whatever. Make the complete failure of the competition’s technology part of the mythology of the computer industry. We want to place selection pressure on those companies and individuals that show a genetic weakness for competitors’ technologies, to make the industry increasingly resistant to such unhealthy strains, over time.

Quoted from Plaintiff Exhibit 3096, USDOJ Comes (Iowa) versus Microsoft Court Case, document:

Text of document:

The data so far show something interesting right. Dominate Linux installs appeared to be 64 bit. This might explain why Adobe releasing 32 bit only flash was getting yelled at so much.

Steam for Linux is not production release yet. So we can be sure there are Linux users holding back for that. Also there will be Linux users still turning up as Windows users using wine to run the game they like because its not ported.

That the steam numbers have already crossed 1 percent Linux users. The arguement that Linux is under 1 percent of desktop users kinda has to die.

THR Windows 8 will be higher represented in steam numbers than Linux due to number of programs that run. I know some games to get them to work with Steam under Wine you do lie as Windows 8. Yes a game by game breakdown would be useful out of the steam system at the moment. Linux native games no point running in wine.

12. THR says:

I know what is “steaming” THR and it ain’t smelling pretty. The Windows 8 Metro interface is absolutely the worst GUI interface I have ever seen. It is a definitely a “steaming” pile of something……

Didn’t write anything about Windows 8’s GUI being not horrendous. Check your glasses. If you don’t have any, you need some.

13. d. says:

I think companies are finally starting to notice that linux users are really good customers. They’re ready to pay for quality games, when those games support their OS.

The humble bundle is a good example. They have these humble indie bundles, each one is a bundle of games that you can buy, and you can decide yourself how much to pay. All the games in each indie bundle are guaranteed to be DRM-free and run on windows, mac and linux. So, they also have statistics on their site about how much people pay for the bundle on average. Those stats are divided by os.

Guess what: linux users pay almost twice as much on average than mac or windows users.

And people say linux users are cheap, that they just want stuff for free…

14. lpbbear says:

“You know what’s steaming ahead, Bob? Windows 8.”

“It has a share of 6.33%, up by 2.08%!”

Not surprising since that is the only choice on store shelves. There is nothing to brag about there.

“it’s just more irrational Microsoft hate”

Actually it is rational to hate Microsoft. What IS irrational are the supporters of the company who rove around the Internet invading websites and spouting their bigoted narrow minded opinions.

15. Mats Hagglund says:

Net Application data is 76% based on pay-per-click websites which tell most of the whole picture. Linux-users don’t buy software with only some exceptions. And only 10% of Net Application market share figures are based on more or less social media sites.

Actually we can claim that Linux market share in pc’s are something like 1,2%/24%x100% = ~4% to 5%. Which might be near the truth.

16. THR wrote, “why the heck are you so excited that Steam now comes to Linux?”

I’m not. It’s the M$-fanclub that says gaming is M$’s playpen and that’s no longer so. I merely point out that there’s no longer any role for M$’s OS that GNU/Linux cannot fill.

17. THR says:

You know what’s steaming ahead, Bob? Windows 8.

It has a share of 6.33%, up by 2.08%!

You know why that’s so funny?

First, it’s much better than the general Windows 8 adoption rate.

Second, it pretty much destroys the claims by Valve that they’re going forward with Linux because Windows 8 is such a restrictive platform. It seems that Steam users haven’t been put to sleep by this crap and know — better than Valve — that you can install Steam on Windows 8 without any problems.