Humble Apple Pie

“Apple has posted its Samsung Galaxy Tab design acknowledgement in several UK newspapers today following the scolding that it received from the courts over the "incorrect" online statement. Unlike the declaration first served up on Apple’s website, the new notice takes a very dry approach to explaining how Samsung’s tablets didn’t infringe the design of the iPad while also pointing readers to copies of the courts’ judgments.”

see Apple's revised Samsung design statement printed in UK newspapers | The Verge.

Finally, Apple took the court’s instructions to heart and posted more or less without spin in the media. Samsung didn’t copy Apple’s design despite Apple having told the world that was the case. It’s only right that they publish a retraction. Pity it’s not balanced in the time they have to display the announcement. I imagine more consumers would notice it the longer it was in place.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

64 Responses to Humble Apple Pie

1. oldman says:

“http://oiaohm.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/trolls-and-their-cover.html
    Since past has been blocked by filter there was another solution.

Thats nice…

So little Hammie cant handle being called out for the liar and fraud that he is. So he goes into his corner and scrawls even more gibberish on the wall.

The trouble is, I’m not backing down little Hammie. you can either prove that you actually know something about Storage virtualization as accomplished using the IBM SAN Volume Controller, or you can admit that you lied when you said that you had experience with it.

Until then, Run along little boy.

2. Yep. Anything that mentions TMRepo… gets banned automatically.

oldman is well known around the web.

Since past has been blocked by filter there was another solution.

See oldman is maintain the troll plan well after game is up. You should never ever broadcast you plan to entrap before you do oldman. That should tell you exactly what is not displaying.

5. oldman says:

Run along little Hammie.

You have a question to answer.

There is another hidden post. PS by the way I have quoted redbooks in the past. So this means I do read redbooks and I could have made up a Lie from redbooks as my answer. I choose to be truthful and not answer what I should not answer. The question was loaded. Not answer oldman attacks. Answer it oldman attacks.

Its called a no win question. The best option is not to answer a question like that.

If I wished to lie up an answer I could.

As anyone who know the field knows. Even you know it oldman.

This was a planned trap. I have exactly confirmed that olderman at Tm repository and oldman here are exactly the same person.

So there is no reason at all to play along with your game oldman its over. He is a troll.

8. oldman says:

Thanks for looking Pog.

Chuckle.

@Hammie

The documentation is in the post that is not displayed yet.

Oh My. the mean old span filter ate widdle hammies homework. Thats tough!

Since I know that you couldnt possibly be Lying> about it being there in the first place. I will wait until you repost it.

Or you can answer my question…

Run along little hammie….

9. I don’t see any post/comment that is waiting. It is possible I deleted something along with the growing mountain of spam. Spam is several times the volume of legitimate comments. People are trying to sell everything from drugs to ladies’ handbags…

10. oldman says:

Pog

could you please release the Hamsters Post so that we can see what he has posted..

11. oldman says:

Run along little boy…

The translation I know you are a troll oldman. The reason why I have not being playing along is I was seeing how far you would push it. The documentation is in the post that is not displayed yet.

13. oldman says:

oldman your game is up in more ways than one oldman.

This will become very clear when Robert read the hidden post.

Translation:

I’m going to get my daddy. He’ll fix your little red wagon…

Run along little boy, The adults need to talk…

oldman your game is up in more ways than one oldman.

This will become very clear when Robert read the hidden post.

15. oldman says:

Hammie, It occurs to me that you may not understand what is about here. So I will elaborate.

IMHO You stand as a proven liar and a fraud. When you have been caught in a lie you attempt to turn it into a truth. when challenged on you knowledge topic that will require more than a simple google to answer, you fall silent. Your alleged experience with the SVC is an example. And I have had enough.

I am no longer going to discuss anything with you on any other topics until you either answer the questions about the SVC environment that you allegedly worked with or admit that you were lying when you said that you had experience with the technology and apologize for attempting to use a fabrication to win an argument . I do not care whether it is off topic or not. I do not care what you say about me or how you attempt to change the subject – you words are noise to me until you do what has been asked.

Either man up and answer my question or Piss off.

Its that simple.

16. oldman wrote, “That exclusion of choice did harm consumers.

What harm Pog?”

Well, a consumer has not the choice of $0 OS+applications on most x86 systems sold retail around here. That’s a harm ~$100 each capital cost but then there is the malware. Consumers aren’t choosing to be victims when they buy the only OS available on notebooks and desktops on a retail shelf. Many folks want to try before they buy and they can’t do that on ther web.

Further, a consumer who uses M$’s OS is pressured to use M$’s OS on the next PC because otherwise many files/documents may not work on any other OS. That’s part of M$’s plan. Purchasing a device should not result in such enslavement. That’s harm.

Further, a consumer who uses M$’s OS is denied exercise of the 4 Freedoms and knowledge of them that come with FLOSS. Keeping people in ignorance is harm. M$ arranged that by coercing OEMs to ship nothing but M$ for so long retail businesses accepted that as normal and M$ bribed retailers to follow M$’s wishes instead of what consumers wanted, choice.

17. oldman says:

That exclusion of choice did harm consumers.

What harm Pog? You have your choice, and indeed anyone who wishes to can buy hardware from quite a few places which they can load with whatever Linux distribution they want.

What you dont have is the ability to force computer manufacturers and stores selling computers that They have decided will not sell.

Would you propose to force business owners to make investments to sell linux desktops?

Consumers are doing just fine. They have not only classical computers if they need them. But they now have the choice of new technology. Tablets are quite useful for many things. that may even be all the computer people will ever need. But they will remain one part of the mix.

At any rate Pog, this is all beside the point, and does not change the expeiriences taht I reported

oldman –Do you have an answer to my question?–
    Yes I could answer it. I am going to when its off topic No I am not. Don’t bother asking again until a topic turns that is valid to ask that question. That time ask it correctly. Without demanding more information than you are entitled to. If the question directly linked to this topic I would have been more likely to answer it.

Since you asking the question is just you attempt to admitting mistake oldman. There is no way I am going to answer question before you admit your error at least. If you wish for me to answer question how in hell does it link to the topic here that is about tablet computers link to servers and virtualisation.

Off topic questions don’t have to be answered oldman. A person attempt to ask off topic questions to hide there mistakes in my eyes is scum.

19. oldman says:

Do you have an answer to my question?

oldman a question that is not on topic that was asked incorrect and you wish me to answer it. Sorry oldman you had your chance. Do you continue your dispute over android 4.2 being multi-user or do you give that it is. This is close to the topic opened by Robert.

21. oldman says:

Either answer myquestion or piss off hamster.

oldman 1 you asked the SAN question wrong. Because it was asking for too much detail. Now you say I can cut detail. Sorry oldman I don’t play these games.
    2 the SAN and Vitalisation question does not link to the topic in anyway. I am going to be stricter in future off topic crap like that I will not answer.

You have done a set of personal attacks oldman that don’t relate to the topic set by Robert Pogson.

Multi-user define is on wikipedia and in most good science dictionaries. It covers what Android is.

I have also worked with Android so I know how close to a complete Multi-user in every way it is.

Ipad 1 vs ASUS is cherry picking.

The reality is that the ipad 3 does not perform as well as the Ipad 1 on responsiveness.

You must compare current generations if you are going to be buying anything.

If you follow the topic you are wanting a compare containing the Samsung Galaxy Tab.

–Single-User Multi-tasking OS–
    If you look up the defines. Multi-tasking is a subset of multi-user. The important fact here is a Multi-tasking os that is truly single user. Does not have any user define. Single-User Multi-tasking is android prior to Android 4.2.

Oldman there is such thing as Single-User Multi-User OS. Yes confusing name. First part define number of physical users who can be using the machine at the same time. Second part defines processors ie user 1 and user 2 tasks can be running at the same time under at Multi-User where they cannot be under a strict Multi-tasking.

Windows desktop XP on is a restricted form of Multi-user no good term was made to define it so Single-User Multi-User OS is the closest you to a correct term.

a ipad is a single-user multi-tasking OS with iOS 4.2 on. http://www.tuaw.com/2010/11/24/multitasking-on-your-ipad-a-quick-guide/

Single-user multi-tasking OS is what Windows 2000 workstation and before workstation versions in the NT line. Single-user multi-tasking OS is all the 9x line as well.

What do these all have in common is no means to switch between users and leave the users applications running.
    Android 4.2 tablet and Windows XP on in the NT line both contain user switching both are Multi-user crippled.

Oldman really is Windows Desktop is not quite on the sux level of a ipad for limitations. You can switch between users on Windows Desktop yes you do risk things going south due to poor applications.

Time changes oldman you have not kept up. Yes claiming Windows XP on is Multi-User is valid. It is a crippled multi-user. Android 4.2 is also a crippled Multi-user. iOS that is ipad right up to current version cannot be claimed as Multi-user and only the ones after iOS 4.2 can claim to be multi-tasking. Multi-tasking does have a down side on performance.

There was a change in what Windows was when XP was release oldman that is over 10 years ago. That what windows is change.

Basically you have your terms wrong.

Not all Linux distributions are multi-user without crippling. Yes there are some distributions you cannot use on a thin-terminal server.

It is impressive how far oldman is willing to attack a person to avoid admitting making a mistake.

23. oldman says:

Just stick a quarter in your rearend and off you go babbling about whatever comes to the forefront in that messed up mind of yours.

Go take your meds.

As I thought, an infant in adults clothing.

Have it your way.

24. lpbbear says:

“Of course you COULD do something novel and have a discussion about the information that I posted about the relative performance of a gen 1 apple iPad vs. the latest ASUS tablet.

Are you adult enough?”

I think Pog already set the topic and I am almost certain it wasn’t “the relative performance of a gen 1 apple iPad vs. the latest ASUS tablet”. Of course that doesn’t matter to an “adult” like you eh?

Go take your meds.

25. oldman says:

Better hide your red stapler oldman, I think some coworkers might be approaching!

Nope the only people who need to worry are twerps like you.

Are you adult enough?

26. lpbbear says:

“ROFLMAO. What else is their to say other than GO f-ck yourself twerp.”

27. oldman says:

oi@ohm the fraud wrote:

Even that I have not answered what I should never been asked. Still does not justify your incompetence on not knowing what Multi-user really means.

Nice try H@mmie. You have not answered because you dont know and are too stupid to even google up a decent answer. You remain a fraud and a liar.

IN fact I am not even sure that you are functional enough to be a liquidator. Perhaps you are some hogh functioning autistic on disability playing out your walter mitty dreams on the web.

At any rate, I refuse to waste any more time debating with you until you answer my questions on SVC environment that you worked in. your security excuse is bullshit – you can give a description that is sufficiently anonymized to prove that you know what you are doing with SVC, SAN’s storage and virtualization.

Unless you answer me, any comments you make with be either ignored or dismissed curtly.

The choice is yours.

28. oldman says:

Get over yourself oldman, you’re a loon. Do the world a favor, go take your meds.

ROFLMAO. What else is their to say other than

GO f-ck yourself twerp.

29. lpbbear says:

“Who givea shit what some low grade pc tech thinks. Go back to setting up systems and cleaning viruses little man

And dont presume to lecture your superiors”

Definitely off his meds.

Woohoo! Like the stink one smells when the outhouse door is opened in blows oldman arms all a flailing on his keyboard, frothing at the mouth and muttering to himself:

“I’ll show those free software freeloaders! Take that you lowlife 47 percenters!”

Banging away on his keyboard like a chimpanzee on steroids he proceeds to dismantle…not just dismantle….he proceeds to SLAY the freetards with razor sharp sword of his superior wit and wisdom gained from years of proclaiming himself superior to all those around him.

Do your coworkers hide all the sharp objects when you’re around?

oldman funny how come you cannot get basics of what a Multi user system is right.

Really lie/fraud. I did not wiggle out of it. You asked a question for more detail than you should ask from any business that you are not contracted to.

It really make me think you are a fraud or incompetent. There was a correct question that did does not breach information requirements.

Really you want to force me into answering something I should not then you can claim I am incompetent. The question you asked is asking for more information that you should require.

I have not asked you for exact parts. Due to the fact I do understand the security side effects of those answers being given in a public channel.

31. oldman says:

You are quite impressive Hammie. You twist and turn and wiggle to get out of answering. But in the end the joke is on you. We know the truth. The reason that you do not answer is because you can’t answer. You stand as a liar and a fraud.

And all the rest of what you post is nothing more than noise.

The questions are starting. The current model of the server room really threatens to end.

The question does become if Apple will attempt to enter the server game again.

oldman –As implemented on tablets Android is heading towards being aSingle-User Multi-tasking OS
    that has the ability to support multiple tenants one at a time–

This is the problem. The implementation on tablets with Android 4.2 have the users fully isolated from each other other than application packages.

Please go and read Multi-user.
    –Multi-user is a term that defines an operating system or application software that allows concurrent access by multiple users of a computer. Time-sharing systems are multi-user systems. Most batch processing systems for mainframe computers may also be considered “multi-user”, to avoid leaving the CPU idle while it waits for I/O operations to complete. However, the term “multitasking” is more common in this context.–

Multi tasking is a sub term of Multi-user.

–However I am willing to concede that your weasely use of facts is correct IF you are willing to state here that windows desktop is also multi-user environment.–
    Really the reason why Windows desktop is not multi-user has todo with other design selections that disable its means to function multi user.

Yes window desktop means to operate multi user has been intentionally sabotaged in many places. Due to this Sabotage windows desktop is no longer a Multi-user OS in the full sense.

Android 4.2 is lacking 1 part from full multi user a means to forwards a login screen. It is possible with the x86 Android 4.2 on a duel screen computer to have each screen with a individual Android login sharing the same applications running at the same time. So running fully Multi-user. The Android 4.2 limitation on tablets is lack of remote desktop over network and the means to split the screen output. Splitting the screen output could be hacked in but there is a issue with the EGL provided by most hardware makers on arm. Designed only for 1.

Android 4.2 tablet limitation is not really Android limitation but a hardware limitation.

Android 4.2 has not be sabotaged some features are still missing to easily display its Multi-user nature.

Oldman is a Microsoft trained idiot. Who no longer knows what the terms really mean or why Windows Desktop is no longer a Multi-user machine. There are many hacks to return XP and Windows 7 to being to being a true multi-user. End users should not have to perform hacks to fully exploit their hardware. If Microsoft allowed people to exploit their hardware people might not buy as many computers.

Android 4.2 is really simple to make multiseat compatible. Android tablet is not multiseat. Yes a different term to multi-user is used to define multi users sitting at a machine. Multiseat and Multi-user are related terms and apparently oldman does not know the difference.

Microsoft Windows Desktop is 100 percent sure sabotaged against running Multiseat.

oldman
    –And I am still waiting for your description of the version (Type-model and code level, of the IBM SAN volume controller that you worked with. ANd while you are at it I’ll need to know which storage was behind it and how you had to set the storage up zone it etc.–
    This is too far off topic for me to bother answering. Also true-fully are you really allowed to tell random parties your internal hardware configurations.

Microsoft sells Windows Desktop as a Single User because it would be bad PR to sell it as what it is. Windows Desktop correct define is Multi-User OS with features to support Multi-User intentionally disabled so only a single user will operate stable then a few implementation errors to top everything off some coming from the ways Microsoft disabled multi-user and some coming from the way programs are coded. Yes reason why windows terminal services on 2008 screws up so badly at times is applications presuming that 2 copies of themselves cannot be running at the same time as different users.

Android 4.2 is built to allow many users to run the same application at the same time without tripping over each other. So Android 4.2 tablet form is a true multi user its just brought undone by hardware limitations and missing a remote desktop feature.

So yes it would be possible for the next version of Android to be a full blow Multi-user/multiseat with no way for you to argue any more.

Android before 4.2 there were places where applications with data storage could trip over each other if you had 2 users running two instances of the same application at the same time. Yes the basic test if a OS is multi-user or not is if you can have two instances of the same application running in different users without the possibility of it going splat.

Windows Server with terminal services does not pass as a functional multi-user. Windows Server only passes with careful selection of applications. Linux Distributions pass in most cases even with third party stuff.

oldman
    –But we both know that you will not be answering that question because you are a liar and a fraud.–
    You know a true tech would not answer that question either. So its entrapment because you are asking for information you have not signed a NDA to have access to. I work on some fairly secure stuff. Tell people exact models of stuff you are using is not allowed. Have you asked enough to identify possible security exploits yes you have.

34. kozmcrae says:

oldman wrote:

If it makes you feel better oldman, then sure, you can look at it that way. Then at some point in the future, 90% of the population will not have chosen FLOSS as their preferred software environment, it will have just happened that way.

Does it matter how or why people come to use FLOSS? I came to use it because I was tired of getting malware. It seems to matter to you oldman how people come to use FLOSS. It doesn’t matter to me. People have their reasons. Let them have their reasons.

35. oldman, equating price with worth, wrote, “When it produces cheap junk yes.”

All markets can produce cheap junk. Look at “7” starter, for instance. Of course the market did not demand that. It was M$’s attempt to exclude GNU/Linux from the market. That exclusion of choice did harm consumers. It also made no business sense for M$ as they were essentially paying OEMs to install their OS, not a good long-term strategy. They avoided competing on price/performance and produced junk.

36. oldman wrote, “People are not choosing FLOSS, People are choosing devices built a commercialized OS that happens to be built on FOSS code.”

When consumers have choice they judge what’s on sale by its fruits. If they can see the benefits of FLOSS with their own eyes they will choose it. The benefits could be anything: the software licences, the warranty, performance, price, etc. The major reason more consumers have not chosen FLOSS in the past was because it was not offered as a choice by retailers. It’s that simple.

37. Yes. While the court’s order may have had some purpose, Apple went out of its way to defeat the purpose. They should have ordered Apple to apologize to every court where they sued others, called press-conferences, placed front-page, TV and radio ads etc. Courts do lack Apple’s imagination. Perhaps they should have ordered Apple to pay Samsung ~$1billion to really get the word out. I would bet Samsung could have done a better job.

38. lpbear wrote, “I have always considered Apple overpriced computer hardware”.

The concept of the OS having to deal with only a few selected environments does make it easier to produce a reliable OS with fewer issues with drivers and Apple has a right to cash in on that as a feature not a bug but the idea that Apple’s stuff is wonderful and perfect etc. is nonsense. Apple is taking what amounts to COTS stuff and marking it up with few if any technical justifications. I have worked in school divisions which still used Apple’s stuff and I was not impressed by its reliability at all. I was at one place where Apple’s networking kept failing and the expert flown in could get it to work but as soon as he left it quit again. At another place there was actually an Apple server. Using Apple’s stuff might be worthwhile for having less malware compared to that other OS but compared to GNU/Linux on COTS or server stuff choosing Apple is insane.

39. dougman wrote, “After an extended hiatus”

To be fair, oldman has probably been hard at work keeping lights on and NYU up. Hurricane Sandy really did a number on anyone/anything from Connecticut to the Carolinas. No doubt that fight was much more important than anything that happens here.

A lot of NYC’s infrastructure was built assuming the place was dry land. I think a lot of energy will be spent rebuilding it as it was with some additional layers for protection rather than rethinking the fundamental premise, dry land. In other parts, local governments zone land for different uses. Buildings and critical infrastructure should not be anywhere near a coast, lakeshore or riverbank. In some places those areas are reserved for parks/gardens. Folks who know what a dike or dam is are horrified to realize that some parts of New Jersey were “protected” only by sandbanks as if no one had heard of a slurry. I was horrified to see that the flooded parts were still flooded a week later with no natural drainage and dependence on electrically-powered pumps. I was horrified to see line-ups at gas-stations because no one thought to supply the stations with generators. Personal initiative and effort seem to be unevenly distributed and sometimes working to cross-purposes.

The melting of the ice-caps means a long term increase in sea-level and global warming, whatever the cause, means more and bigger storms. Nature can randomly build Sandy v2 twice as large and much stronger and cause it to arrive at the highest tides of the year at the most vulnerable places any time.

After an extended hiatus, ‘Angry’ Oldman returns from the bowels of his troll cave to shut down Linux and Android.

Hey Angry Dude, guess what Google Chromebooks runs Gentoo, also WordPress runs 17% of the web. Complain all you want about it, but M$ does not own the market anymore and Apple has already topped out market wise.

What happens when software patents are done away with?

Time to Move the Cheese and let innovators take over and free the market for everyone!

41. oldman says:

You should be able to get the information in in one of your longer posts.

42. oldman says:

Oldman basically go take your medication so you can learn how to read. My claim of multi-user is 100 percent right.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHaaa….

Dont presume to lecture your betters Hammie. I’m not the dyslexic junkman who keeps passing himself off as Mr. Know-it-all and who doesnt have the balls to take on those who have regularly kicked his ass.

Whatsamatter Hammie, got to hide behind Pog’s skirts?

Now that we have that out of the way…

Linux is a multi-user multi tasking OS
    Windows server is a multi user multi-tasking OS.

Windows desktop is a single user multitasking OS that has the ability to support multiple tenants one at a time

And now Android in version 4.2 has acquired the ability to support multiple tenants on a single device one at a time At best As implemented on tablets Android is heading towards being aSingle-User Multi-tasking OS
    that has the ability to support multiple tenants one at a time

oldman

–Oh BTW Hammie, you need to express yourself more clearly. Android 4.2 is not Multi-user. I does have…

multiple user account switching, offering up the option to have several users share access to a device, while keeping their settings and content walled off from each other.

There is a very big difference between supporting the ability of multiple users to share a device and being multi-user in the normal sense that the term is used.–

Sorry I missed that attempt at a stupid correction.

Multi-user is the same as multiple users in the Android sense.

Since you can switch to a different user under android 4.2 and that users tasks remain running.

Android 4.2 is in fact normal multi user its just lacking the means to forward the interface.

oldman
    –By the way I note that you made no attempt to answer my correction of your mischaracterization —
    No I missed your complete incompetent interpretation of android 4.2 feature.

Reality Android 4.2 is one step off a full multi user using the 1 machine at the same time. Background tasks owning to different users are supported by 4.2.

Really Oldman you are the fraud you don’t even know what true multi-user is so tried making up some bull crap claim android 4.2 is not.

44. oldman says:

Mr ipbear

And dont presume to lecture your superiors

45. oldman says:

The problem is hammie that the evidence of your posts and brags does not prove anything. Furthermore you have been caught enough splitting hairs, misinterpreting facts and outright fabricating facts to win arguements that your word is as far as a many are concerned untrustworthy and suspect.

And i am being kind in this characterization because most of those others are convinced that you are a low grade moron who drives his ute through the outback collecting junk by day and who dabbles,in technology by night.

By the way I note that you made no attempt to answer my correction of your mischaracterization of andriod 4.2 features. I take that as a concession that you were wrong.

As i take the fact that you never came up with any of the details of the ibm svc setup that you worked with such as model and svc code level that qualified you to challenge me on svc based storage virtualization as part of the growing mound of proof that you are a liar
    and a fraud.

46. lpbbear says:

I see Oldman is off his meds again.

I have always considered Apple overpriced computer hardware for people who are easily impressed by colored plastic layered in lathered on blue, satin white, and silver. The operating system is touted as being intuitive but every time I have had to use it the impression I come away with is of a GUI with a interface burdened with extra frufru and geegaws meant to impress the same kind of people who are impressed with lathered on colors. Those same people are likely to mistake frufru GUI’s and silly colors as “quality”. Open one up and you will find the same basic PC hardware used in any Wintel computer except with extra cost and extra “locks” to prevent you from doing what you want with it.

Sorry, color me not impressed by Apple’s overpriced hype products.

Get back on your meds Oldman, you’re sounding like a loon.

47. One thing that should be pointed out about Apple‘s new statement: It appears that you have to scroll down the page to see it, meaning that it is effectively hidden from most site visitors. Typical Apple—started as crooks, never changed.

oldman
    –The orderly winding up of a company’s affairs. It involves realising the company’s assets, cessation or sale of its operations, distributing the proceeds of realisation among its creditors and distributing any surplus among its shareholders. The three types of liquidation are: court, creditors’ voluntary and members’ voluntary.–
    Read closely what I am is in that define. –Sale of its operations– My job directly links to that section of the liquidation process. Working out if its operations can be cost effective and if it can be sold as a going concern.

–Liquidator A natural person appointed to administer the liquidation of a company–

This is correct. I am not appointed todo the complete Liquidation. I am appointed to perform a particular role. Can this company be made profitable if so can it be sold even possibly to the creditors.

Most cases a running operation is worth more than its assets. The job is finding what parts of the operation are profitable to on sell so can pay out creditors.

Really you need to learn to read and understand what you are quoting. What says it has to be the same person running the liquidation beginning to end. Nothing. More than 1 liquidator is normal.

oldman
    –2) your management does not see fit to give you a permanent computer for use in the field, if at all. THis should not be the case for someone as valuable and experienced as you paint yourself.–
    The problem is your experience is lacking.

What ever is with me is parts to me. Permanent computer is something I could have. The there are downsides. Air transport has weight limits. Ground transport does not have the same limits. So while I am at 1 location if I have consumed computer hardware I left home base with. Hardware to replace it can be at next stop.

Exactly how much of a laptop do I still need. The harddrive at max. Be serous I have finished a job they are down 1 tablet. I have a tablet. I am going back to base. 2 options. 1 leave the tablet I have and pick up another a home base or 2 keep my tablet and have the operation there wait for another to be shipped out.

Laptop, tablet, phone I am issued with. If I consume any of those I get the new version when I get back to base. Before tablets I was issues with 2 laptops. On the presume 1 might be consumed early on in trip.

oldman basically what is the point of me having a same computer that is old and out of date. Computer become slow old machines fast enough.

Computer hardware is a asset to be used in the most profitable way for the business at the time.

Really oldman you would not tell a medic he could not destroy his issued pen to save someone’s life. You just replace the pen in that case. In my case the computer hardware I am issued with is to be consumed its no different to the medics pen.

Really I am trusted. That when I consume I will leave good records.

Oldman todo my job you need to be more than a IT officer.

This is your problem exactly why would I want to be issued with the same laptop or desktop for the next 3 years.

49. oldman says:

People have choice and they are choosing FLOSS.

People are not choosing FLOSS, People are choosing devices built a commercialized OS that happens to be built on FOSS code. Android allows commercial vendors who do not want to participate in the commune that you love to sell their applications without having to reveal the code. By maintaining exclusivity of product those vendors can reap enough profit to produce better more capable porentially innovative products. Products that users like myself can benefit from.

Unlike the world you would saddle us with Robert Pogson, Android allows true choice.

50. oldman says:

Businesses tablets used in stock control or point of sale give a crap about multi-user.

51. oldman says:

I am a IT professional. The business I salvage some completely still in one piece due to more effective IT at lower cost they are able to pay out their debts.

You have referred to yourself as a liquidator. Now according to

Liquidation

Liquidator
    A natural person appointed to administer the liquidation of a company

Add to this the facts that:

1) your management is impressed enough with your electrical skills that they are attempting to find a way to use them. beinn electrician is not an IT skill, no matter how you spin it!

3) you have bragged bout your handy-man skills on numerous occasions. Fixing a fence is not an IT skill!

4) you have been caught on numerous occasions faking knowledge (I am still waiting for the model and code level of the IBM SAN Volume Controller that you worked with..)

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necesitate…

I do believe that you are working as a Liquidator, as in the person who is responsibe for the shutdown of the company. You are also proven again and again as someone who will make up facts to avoid losing an arguement.

You have no validity and no credentials that I need to respect.

You are nothing but noise.

52. oldman says:

Why so angry, oldman? Does competing on price/performance hurt anyone? Nope.

Bullshit. When it produces cheap junk yes.

But then again I dont expect a cheapskate yike yourself to understand. You love junk!

ssorbom its a time-frame. In the time of Dos vs Mac. Apple was classed as a top dog as well. With superior quality.

Problem is this did not change the fact that business went dos in most places because it was cheaper and got the job done.

I am not comparing dos vs mac to exactly what is now. I am comparing how that history played out. It is the same race to the bottom the features of the bottom that was dos keep on increasing until Apple fell.

Android features will keep on increase. Some features like multi-user will suit particular users better.

Apple fans in the dos vs mac time came out with the same stupid arguments as oldman. That the high price was justified. History tells you otherwise.

54. ssorbom says:

Ohiaom,
    I don’t understand, why the comparison to Dos?
    Please explain. Beyond the fact that dos was single user, I don’t see what you are comparing.

55. oldman wrote, “The android pads are in a race to the bottom. That is a game that no one wins, even the consumer who gets crap in the bargain.”

Why so angry, oldman? Does competing on price/performance hurt anyone? Nope.

The market seems to disagree with you (1.3million activations per day in a market with lots of choice). The Android/Linux tablets did start slowly but now they are kicking butt, holding share while the global production sky-rockets. People have choice and they are choosing FLOSS.

56. ssorbom says:

Oldman,
    I have never owned a tablet. My hardware right now is a Dell D620 Model Laptop (with a dock), and an Intel Core2 2.13Ghz Desktop with 2gb RAM. I have seriously considered forking over $25 before so I could play with Darwin (so at least I could have some mac experience), but haven’t done so yet. The most I have ever used a tablet was to borrow someone else’s internet. I have a kindle 3 (which is a joy to use for books), but even there, two things concern me:
    1. No root access
    2. Amazon can watch what I’m doing (they don’t have reason to watch me in particular, but it is still creepy).

This situation is true of most real tablets on the market too.
    As a result I will probably stick to traditional computing for the near future.
    But that was interesting to find out, thanks.

oldman “Who gives a crap about multi user capabilities.”

Really it you commenting about stuff that you don’t understand.

–The android pads are in a race to the bottom. That is a game that no one wins, even the consumer who gets crap in the bargain.–

MS Dos was a race to bottom as well.

oldman you are the one speculating. I see multi user in Android as a important feature due to how it will fit into my operations.

Means to login once and go about job. Remember tablet on a storage centre may not have good network connectivity.

Good stock control and tracking can increase profitability no end.

By oldman logic only highly advanced scientific calculators should have existed. There is a place at the bottom for an item that is not perfect that does all the requirements a business requires.

MS PC hardware was true crap compared to the Apple machines from the same time frame.

The race to bottom has never stopped oldman. Its part of the market.

58. oldman says:

Android 4.2 does bring a difference. Multi-user.

Who gives a crap about multi user capabilities. Android as a multi user system is both irrelevant to this conversation and useless in the market which is only going to care how it behaves.

Once again you speculate about things that you know nothing about other than what you google Mr. Liquidator. I suggest that you stick to cutting up and hauling away failed businesses and leave the IT to the professionals Hammie.

oldman Dos vs Mac kind of problem again.

First generation Android pads having be fighting with hand tied behind back. Mp3 playback in iphone and ipad was an hardware accelerator and the Asus is software. Yes nasty big difference there.

Android 4.2 does bring a difference. Multi-user.

60. oldman says:

With all due respect, I would suggest something quite different, at lease in regard to the Apple tablets.

I am the proud user of both a first generation iPad and an ASUS TF300T:

The ASUS glitches consistently enough when playing back of mp3 while following along with the score under acrobat reader.

my iPad never glitched on playback of an mp3 while I was following along with the score under acrobat reader.

applications on the ASUS simply vanish (i.e. crash) without warning

I never experienced such a crash using apps on the iPad

Adobe acrobat on my My iPad always performed the same no matter how many PDF’s I loaded (I keep full manual sets for several system, including RHEL, to have them available)

Adobe acrobat on my My ASUS will stutter and freezes. Screens that paint in one pass on the iPad take two passes (with a significant pause in between) to display

IN fact my first generation iPad seems to perform all tasks faster than the ASUS.

To be fair, none of these occur often enough to be show stoppers. But AFter having used both iPad and ASUS I can say with all honesty that I would rather pay the difference and purchase the iPad.

61. ssorbom says:

I don’t have an iPod, but I have heard it is possible to make them behave like a normal mass storage device (drag ‘n drop, etc). As to the design factor, enough people like Mac’s designs that I have seen more modern Dells and Asus’es start to sleek up their design. I Apple invented one thing, They invented the idea that computers, like any other piece of home furniture, should have a pleasing aesthetic design. Personally, I have reasons to go with generic PC hardware (Mac presents a very chilling walled prison), but I think very few contest the idea that if you want something that looks good, go with a Mac.

62. oe says:

Personally, I won’t buy their stuff do to the “snob” factor. My stepson gave me an old iPod and first thing I did was scuff the logo off it….those lighted lid logos on the macbooks are really silly. I don’t find it that great compared to most 3rd brand units as it is not very standards compliant. No simple drag-and-drop support of mp3 transfer (much less ogg and other fomats) of the files unlike most of the generic-brand ones. Apple forces some file naming and conversion perversions that require middleware (iTunes if your masocistic, gtkpod and/or rhythmbox if you’re of more sane mindset), a really gimped design in my opinion.

Sans Jobs Apple Be Doomed

64. ssorbom says:

Offtopic, but:
    Mr Pogson, you should look at this:
    I wonder what this year’s numbers look like.

So is this the last we will hear from apple for a while?