2013 Will not Be The Year of M$

“Simple arithmetic shows that unless Microsoft manages to make a dent in the smartphone and tablet market, it’s pretty much the end of its dominance”

via Editorial: Will 2013 be the year of… Microsoft? | Netrunner Magazine.

I found this insightful article which has just about everything right, except it leaves as an open question how M$ will do in 2013. I am certain M$ has passed its prime. It’s whole empire rests on the Wintel PC which has definitely peaked. M$ has gone as far out on that limb as it can and the world isn’t even paying attention. I remember when people queued up to buy Lose ’95, a really shoddy OS. Now they produce much better software and they cannot get it installed on a telephone. They still have some retail shelves and OEMs locked up but you can only pay people so long to give up their freedom. Much of the world is about to buy its first personal computer and they have no idea that the game of Wintel being the only choice even exists. Even the big PC OEMs are shipping millions of GNU/Linux PCs and just about anything else they can sell. The gate of the castle is bending inwards under the weight of increasing competition, something with which M$ has not had to deal with since the 1980s. They’ve been on an exclusive dealing binge since then.

The world can and does produce hardware and software unrelated to M$ and the rate of production of the new personal computers exceeded Wintel’s unit production last year. This year, everyone on M$’s treadmill are looking for the exits. This is the most tentative uptake of M$’s next release since Lose 3.x. This time around the Chinese are ready to produce millions of units of anything that sells within weeks. If M$ could stop the flow of tablets, smart phones and GNU/Linux PCs by Christmas, there would be a whole new set of products and players by June of 2013. M$ is just too small to control the world. For 20 years, instead of expanding and diversifying, they relied on the desktop PC monopoly and the world moved on. Moore’s Law, global education and the Internet means the world can move on without any contact from M$’s arm-twisting salesmen. Too much is happening for Ballmer and Gates to intervene.

Yes, 2013 will be a highly defensive year for M$. They are sweating bullets that FLOSS and ARM are just about to absorb hundreds of millions of former users of Wintel. Those old machines won’t last forever and only a small minority see the necessity of buying Wintel today. Even business can throttle M$’s cash-cow simply by using GNU/Linux thin clients, web applications and just a few terminal servers running that other OS. M$’s CAL-count won’t recover the loss. With fewer PCs running that other OS, there will be less need for M$’s server OS and its office suite. The sound you will here in 2013 is called “implosion”. It still makes a lot of noise but the bubble shrinks really quickly and then it’s just a damp spot.

I had an indication of how irrelevant M$ has become at a party recently. The people there are the most connected on the planet. Everyone had a personal computer of one kind or another. When they stopped to eat every flat spot in the place was covered with digital thingies, none of them Wintel. There was a Wintel PC in the home but it was never used. The smart thingies were phoning, texting, e-mailing, photographing, playing media, and browsing amid the din of the party. There were four generations of humans present. Only the very old (I and a couple of others) and the very young (0 to 10 years) seemed to be unconnected. Everyone was having fun. The youngest who seemed not to have their own gadgets could mostly pick up any gadget and use it to take a picture or to replay one. I was impressed. I was 18 before I could control a computer.

The thing that was so awesome about that party is that it was not a select group. There were people from every age, financial status (probably no billionaires though), career, education. It was a pretty good sample of people in Winnipeg and Wintel did not control them at all. The retailers had better wake up real soon or be replaced with ones who give these people what they want, great IT at a fair price. They should at least expand the space for gadgets and put Wintel under the counter. Better, they should stop excluding GNU/Linux.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

67 Responses to 2013 Will not Be The Year of M$

That Exploit Guy there is sample code out there of it. It is a different class of bug completely. To what Dan Rosenberg talks about. The bug I am talking about is the NT object base permission system that is even around memory allocation.

You have two permissions on the same memory allocation object. What one wins. The one that will allow access. Placing a kernel code in a exe resource then loading it from there(in places where the windows ABI stupidly allows it) Results in 1 shared block of memory between kernel space and userspace with 2 object permissions applied to the memory segment and the memory management unit will obey commands from both.

Yes this creates a rwx segment. In fact it creates a segment where you can crash windows by applying NX to the driver then triggering a function to enter the driver. This is basically not just a RWX segment of memory but a segment of memory where you have full control over what permission bits are applied from userspace even that its in kernel space.

That Exploit Guy its a complete different class of bug fairly much Windows unique.

2. That Exploit Guy says:

@oiaohm

‘That is not by Dan Rosenberg. That is a bug I reported to Microsoft with demonstration code. That is not fixed.’

Oh, really? Lemme guess – somehow you have also signed an NDA and handed over your demo code copyright even though you have had absolutely no reason or obligation to do so. Am I correct?

You sure are one heck of a one-trick pony, aren’t you?

Also, you still don’t realise what’s giving you away there, do you?

That Exploit Guy Just because I wrote something using the terms you know does not mean I copied it. Find where Dan Rosenberg covers the resource mapped to kernel space bug in windows.

So that author has nothing todo what what I was talking about.

That Exploit Guy there is a real bug there when loading a kernel part from a resource segment inside a .exe file.

That Exploit Guy the so call offending comment is completely mine.

Sorry you would be the one expelled for this. This is not the only bug in WFP as well.

5. That Exploit Guy says:

@oiaohm

‘That Exploit Guy go back and read carefully Dan Rosenberg does he list the bits as R W NX ring. In the real registers there is no X bit. There is only a NX bit.’

This is your offending comment from not long ago:

‘When you push by WFP to kernel mode from a EXE resource. The problem is that EXE resource rw stats owns to the EXE. Basically WFP contains nice simple way to craft a rwx memory zone that you know exactly where it is since the application created it. This is a API/ABI design fault.’

Your feeble grasp of the subject matter aside, this is by far one of the most brazen attempts to plagiarise without understanding the source material and without acknowledging its author. I am sorry, but if you want the fastest way to get expelled from university, this is it.

6. That Exploit Guy says:

@oiaohm

‘You should have no problem finding the university appeals processes if you are so cleaver’

So with all that alleged study you have undertaken at university, you have absolutely no concept whatsoever of academic integrity. It is your responsibility, as the author your work, to provide a reference to other people’s works you have used in your writing. This is not about whether someone is being “cleaver” [sic] or not; it’s about honesty, which you are sorely lacking at this point.

Every university you go will tell you the exact same thing. There is no excuse.

That Exploit Guy you are such a good research at finding documents that I have never seen before you showed to them that I am ment to have plagiarised.

You should have no problem finding the university appeals processes if you are so cleaver..

That Exploit Guy go back and read carefully Dan Rosenberg does he list the bits as R W NX ring. In the real registers there is no X bit. There is only a NX bit. You will find I only used RWX after I had seen Dan Rosenberg blog that you displayed.

You will also find the auther of PaX blog uses like me. X bit does not exist. Since all memory starts executable before being turned NX. There is direct evidence that you claim of me copying Dan Rosenberg is crap.

9. That Exploit Guy says:

@oiaohm

‘Get most of the Australian University appeal processes…’

Nope, no sample there. Why am I not surprised?

That Exploit Guy
    –Before you go and spin even more yarn on the subject manner, would you care to provide a sample of such alleged assessment criteria whereby a student must produce a piece of work that he/she has no feasible means to access and no right to dispute errenous grading?–
    Get most of the Australian University appeal processes. Use of non approved software voids you appeal at every one using automated marking.

So no you cannot appeal a automatically marked failed and you were not using the software listed for the course. Because not using the approved software is a fail anyhow.

That Exploit Guy In fact I did not copy Dan Rosenberg at all on kernel protection. Before you mentioned him I had never seen his blog.

The female author of PaX blog I have read even attended her conference presentations. Really I think Dan Rosenberg mostly rewrites PaX. Since finer details are missing. We both look simpler because we are from the same source material.

That Exploit Guy you have just accused me of coping someone I have not copied. Author of PaX that might have been a different matter.

That Exploit Guy using the same source material is not plagiarism.

You are a idiot human who cannot spot plagiarism because if what I did was plagiarism so is what Dan Rosenberg did.

11. That Exploit Guy says:

@oiaohm

‘I have but I study by distance and technically I still am at collage even that I am current 400 kms away.’

So you are currently a little south of half the distance between Sydney and Melbourne away from where you supposedly study? There are currently more than one million university students in Australia. Do you honestly want to continue with this propersterous claim of yours about university forcing students to buy Windows licenses by digging yourself into a deeper hole?

‘Yes it is. You have **automatic plagiarism detection**’

Yes, there are, but, you see, the point here is that I don’t even need that kind of software to spot plagiarism in your comments.

Do you see what kind of shaky ground you are standing on right now, my dear friend?

‘Other have came back under new handle and have asked questions politely. Asking questions at TM where there is no one who can give him proper answers is pointless.’

You are also free to sign up there and start firing whatever unintelligible garbage you have to everyone. The only difference is that when people start demanding evidence from you for your claims, Robert Pogson will simply not be able to save his or your own face by making poor excuses to ban them.

Am I correct?

‘Auto marking assesses if the content is most likely there. It does not give a student a pass grade due to the known errors with it. It can give a student a fail grade.’

Remember, there are more than one million university students in Australia and many more who have been to university. Before you go and spin even more yarn on the subject manner, would you care to provide a sample of such alleged assessment criteria whereby a student must produce a piece of work that he/she has no feasible means to access and no right to dispute errenous grading? Again, the burden of proof is on the claimant.

‘Really I am not a plagiarist. Where have I word for word copies. I have not taken credit for work I have not done either’

It was not long ago you were caugh by me plagiarising a blog entry by Dan Rosenberg on kernel page protection (or lack thereof). Believe me – I am the last person you want playing an amnesia card on.

That Exploit Guy
    –You obviously have never been to university or else you would have known that every university library usually has all such necessary tools to complete their courseworks.–
    I have but I study by distance and technically I still am at collage even that I am current 400 kms away. So this means I am not on the university grounds most of the time. Even better if you produce a document in OS X MS Office edit it in Windows MS Office it still might fail the auto markers. This is not uncommon in Australia. There is no requirement to stay at the physical collage. You requirement is a Internet connection and willingness to go to a public school or equal to be supervised in exams. You can do from BA to PHD and never set foot inside the collage. Of course you would have met some collage staff because they would have visited you.

–So artificial intelligence is really taking over education, isn’t it?–

Yes it is. You have **automatic plagiarism detection** this is basically artificial intelligence. You have automatic content detection as well. It all about reducing workloads.

http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/files/237/AUTOMARKING2.htm This is early automated content detection. Latter generations look at construction of .doc and .docx files looking for tables and charts and other items the assessment asked for. When those are difference when a document is produced in different versions of MS Office and the AI is basically dumb students get failed when they should not have been.

These latter generations drive people using non Microsoft Windows up wall or different version of MS Office to what the system was configured for.

In fact artificial intelligence has been for quite some time. That Exploit Guy Just because the front end is blackboard there does not mean that there is a human behind there marking your work as failed.

–Every here knows that he’s banned from posting here.–

That Exploit Guy
    –Also, an advantage of human markers is that they tend to be very, very good at catching cheating little plagiarists such as yourself.–
    Really I am not a plagiarist. Where have I word for word copies. I have not taken credit for work I have not done either.

That Exploit Guy I never said the human maker was removed. Auto makers only make people as failed and possible passed and possible passed goes on to a human for inspection. By doing this a university than enrol more students remotely and make more profit.

13. kozmcrae says:

oldman wrote:

“I really don’t think anything of ardour to be honest I may put it up and see how it looks, but I doubt that it does anything special.”

There a lot of bands doing there own music production. So much that the number of recording studios has dropped by a fair percentage. Don’t make me go looking for numbers. I read about it a long time ago. With the advent of better hardware and software I doubt if things have gotten any better for the small to medium independent recording studios.

The software on both sides of the Free/non-Free debate are more than good enough to produce high quality CDs. It’s just a matter of taste, what you are used to using and maybe a few other constraints. If you compare the tools the average musician has today compared to what Buddy Holy had in his day, today’s musician is far more blessed. That statement says nothing about what is created with those tools, however.

14. JR says:

@ oldman

Apologies did not realise you don’t use DAW, would not have brought it up otherwise.

I doubt you looked at the site as you would have seen that the developer does charge indirectly for the OS X version and asks for donations for the linux version.

I agree not quite the same as charging for it but nevertheless.

You say you think nothing of Ardour yet it appears you have not tried it out. A bit subjective don’t you think.

As far as judging someone’s intelligence based on
    whether they charge for something they create, well! I suppose we are all entitled to our opinions.

15. oldman wrote, “As far as the brightness of the developer, IMHO if he was bright they would not be putting this much effort into something this complex that they will never see a dime on.”

oldman, the authours have more imagination than you

(click to enlarge)

No doubt the authour gets some income from donations but others will hire him to do some work and he may use the software for his own work.

The authours give motivations here:“Summary: Avid buys Sibelius, which brings in a nice $18M or so a year, then appears to layoff all of its developers, mumbling about how they plan to integrate its development within their California development team. Sibelius users are extremely unhappy and attempt to convince Avid to sell the software.
    Now, its true that had Sibelius been an open source program, it would probably have never been generating $18M of cash flow/revenue. But its also true that its users would not face this kind of situation. The company would probably not have been acquired, and if it had, its developers would have been free to continue working on their own fork after being laid off by the purchaser.”

There are many contributors to Ardour. The principle authour has other employment relating to audio. He is a professional in every sense of the word.

16. oldman says:

“Contrary to what you might believe there are some bright boys out there.”

I dont use DAW’s I work directly from Musical score using Makemusic Finale, Garritan Personal orchestra, Garritan Marching band and East-West Symphonic Choirs. All of these run on windows and if I neede to OS X

I really don’t think anything of ardour to be honest I may put it up and see how it looks, but I doubt that it does anything special. As far as the brightness of the developer, IMHO if he was bright they would not be putting this much effort into something this complex that they will never see a dime on.

When I do roll outs for desktops, I stick with Ubuntu for businesses and Mint for home-users. Servers are always Ubuntu.

The prices quoted for support from Canonical are far cheaper then having to hire a full time IT dude. Better to hire a temporary consulting person, to setup everything, configure, teach a few exec’s on how to manage the simple stuff then walk away, followed with a quarterly system review via phone call and SSH. 🙂

18. JR says:

@ oldman

For someone who has been in IT for as long as you have don’t you think your statement in your comment no: 20 ……

“Yes and I suppose that 10000 monkeys pounding away at the keyboard might eventually reproduce Shakespeare.

is a bit harsh.?

From what I can remember it seems you are quite into your music.

Would you place this program in the same class.?

and by extension call the developer:

a monkey?

Contrary to what you might believe there are some bright boys out there.

19. That Exploit Guy says:

@oiaohm

‘You have the stupid idea that the consumer sector is free choice. Lot of factors mean consumers cannot rebel. Like Universities demanding work in MS Office for Windows. Yes MS Office on OS X is not acceptable. So of course those are going to buy a computer with MS Windows because they had no choice.’

You obviously have never been to university or else you would have known that every university library usually has all such necessary tools to complete their courseworks. You are welcome to prove me wrong by showing me those shiny parchments you have got “for fun” as no one is supposd to believe the words of a stranger or have the obligation to verify your credentials.

The burden of proof is on the claimant, my dear oiaohm.

‘Dr loser over at TM have the balls to ask the question here.’

Every here knows that he’s banned from posting here. Maybe you should ask the loser who runs mrpogson.com about that?

‘How the auto-marker checks work is by creating digital signatures from passing documents.’

What a story! Maybe you should look for a career opportunity at Fairfax Media or any one of Rupert Murdoch’s finest news outlets? Oh… You can’t write non-broken English. That’s kind of a bummer, isn’t it?

So artificial intelligence is really taking over education, isn’t it? If not for your feeble grasp of the English language, I’d have pobably mistaken you for Isaac Asimov.

You see, work submission in real life is a little more simplistic than that. Also, an advantage of human markers is that they tend to be very, very good at catching cheating little plagiarists such as yourself. 😉

Oh, do you also notice I have all the references pointing to Wikipedia? I think I deserve at least a “thank you” for saving you the trouble of parapharing those poorly written paragarphs on those pages.

Dr loser over at TM have the balls to ask the question here.
    –Does OOXML have some sort of unforgeable digital signature that indicates the provenance of the document? Do University departments routinely check this digital signature?–
    The answer is yes there is digital signature. Is it routinely checked yes. Is it forge-able most likely but it an insane amount of effort and each minor error will see you on the wrong side of university auto markers.

Universities using auto marking packages even reject an OOXML document produced by MS Office on OS X that should pass. Its also stiff briskets since you were told on enrolment to use MS windows and MS Office.

How the auto-marker checks work is by creating digital signatures from passing documents. Since most of these documents will be MS Windows bad things happen if you use anything else.

The reason is current OOXML is transitional. So has platform dependant OLE objects inside it alone with other platform dependant data. The signature generators of the auto-markers detect this stuff.

OS X on charts in MS Office have a different OLE object tag to MS Office on Windows. So the generated marking signature detects it as a failure due to OLE data differences inside the OOXML file even that the right content is there that it should move to human marking.

So its MS Windows and MS Office or fail.

Yes even not using the universities approved version of MS Office for windows can see your stuff bounced by the auto markers.

To forge that signature is a huge stack of work that is pointless thinking next version of MS Office will support OOXML strict. If we can get Universities using OOXML strict then a document from Libreoffice, OS X Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office on Windows will look the same to the auto markers as long as you save OOXML strict.

Format inconstancy is a true prick. MS Office 2010 OOXML document has a different signature to a MS Office 2007 ooxml document as well for a document that basically looks the same on screen. Backwards compatibility saving even in MS office will fall on the wrong side of these auto markers as well.

Yes universities here demand you use particular versions MS Office with Windows so their auto markers work.

This was a very good question. By not asking the question here you keep on going on with made up crap.

Really the sooner we have OOXML strict the better. More freedom for people even to use to use OS X version of MS Office if they wish as well. Its not just Libreoffice and FOSS stuff locked out.

Dr loser reality you don’t have people at TM who can answer the question.

Chris Weig did you allow for the effects of auto markers have on the software consumers can choose. So a university basically does decide what software students can use when they put in auto marking solutions.

21. Chris Weig wrote, “There’s no demand for Linux on the Desktop in the consumer sector.”

Demand or supply? There’s not much supply on some retail shelves but plenty on others. That has a lot to do with consumer-uptake.

OEMs will supply millions of GNU/Linux PCs this year. Canonical stated that 3% of PCs shipped last year had Ubuntu GNU/Linux and they predict 5% next year. That’s why the ~1% number is so laughable.

There is demand.

22. oiaohm wrote, “Ubuntu has slipped from the top of distrowatch now replaced by Mint. So is most likely is not the most popular distribution any more.”

Ubuntu GNU/Linux has been popular for a long time and has a much larger installed base, like 100X larger. Ubuntu also has salesmen and OEMs cranking out machines by the millions.

23. kozmcrae says:

Mongrol wrote:

“I’ll bet it’s not Linux when that happens, is it?”

Actually you’ve got that assbackwards. According to the Cult of Microsoft, suddenly it *is* Linux.

But you still need the user to pull the trigger on most of that malware. It’s not in the same class as stuff that grows in the sinew of Microsoft’s OS.

Chris Weig
    –Why haven’t people rebelled against Microsoft, were they so infuriated? There’s no demand for Linux on the Desktop in the consumer sector.–

The consumer sector is highly controlled by government, education, games and business sectors. In that order.

Chris Weig of course it might pay to take note that Ubuntu has slipped from the top of distrowatch now replaced by Mint. So is most likely is not the most popular distribution any more.

Chris Weig that people are buying it does not mean it works.

The serous question is how much of the consumer market is free choice where the consumer has the option to choose to do rebelled against Microsoft.

Chris Weig yes vendor lock-in by who the consumers have to work with fairly much prevents rebellion in most areas of the world. Android and Ipad take off is partly people in rebellion.

25. Chris Weig says:

Just about everything has been improved in software over that time-frame but M$ has made a lot of innovations that have not helped people using IT one bit:

You contradict yourself, oh Special One. Why haven’t people rebelled against Microsoft, were they so infuriated? There’s no demand for Linux on the Desktop in the consumer sector.

Windows works. And people pay for it. Contrary to Canonical then, who now have turned to publicly begging on the Internet via their Ubuntu download page.

People that continue to use IE are just ignorant, the one’s that continue to use it are STUPID.

The recent zero-day vulnerability in Internet Explorer caused many (present company included) to urge Internet users to consider surfing the Web with a different browser until Microsoft issued a patch. Microsoft did so last month, but not before experts who ought to have known better began downplaying such advice, pointing out that other browser makers have more vulnerabilities and just as much exposure to zero-day flaws.

This post examines hard data that shows why such reasoning is more emotional than factual. Unlike Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox users, IE users were exposed to active attacks against unpatched, critical vulnerabilities for months at a time over the past year and a half.

Re: I suppose having your personal details stolen, sending spam, racking up premium rate calls, without your knowledge don’t count as “ill effects”?

I think Mongrel is describing Windows to a “T”. I seem to recall all version of M$ Windows doing these functions and then some.

Here are some examples:

Please Help! Our email server is sending spam!!! We are a small company with 15 users and we have been blacklisted in several sites for sending spam, every time we ask for removal, they do, but after few days, we are there again. Cash flow in the company is really tight, we can not afford to pay a tech guy!

Hello, my modem was randomly disconnecting and calling Guyana and a few other places, which led to a charge of hundreds of dollars on our phone bill. I need to you to come take a look and fix this.

Hi, our daughter was using our computer and then we logged onto our business bank account to pay a few bills a few days ago. Now our bank account has been emptied, could you come look to see if we were in some way attacked?

28. oldman wrote, “So are you saying that there have been zero improvements between windows 9x and windows 8?”

• the EULA
    • the price
    • the “tax”
    • the malware and bots
    • the total number of bug/vulnerabilities etc. due to the bloat

oldman same applies to you more. Like your recent blowing bullshit that imagemagick was command line only.

30. oldman says:

oldman unrefer memory using virtual memory tables is a common way to kill lots of kernel attacks. You have the wrong party being handed head oldman.

You have been caught out so many time blowing bullshit Hamster that frankly, you don’t come out looking very good on these. The fact that you are always coming back with an answer doesn’t make you right, it just means that you have more balls than brains.

oldman Really come on I was talking about the current design. That is the NT blood line.

The 9x bloodline is completely independent topic.

9x bloodline starts 20 November 1985 ends year 2000.

The NT bloodline starts November 1989. So yes its 20 years.

Refine current design does not mean that over that time they have made no alterations. Means in 20 years they has not.

oldman really TEG is a joke. Not up on current attacks or protective methods. Heck did not know a dirty b-tree can exist that is a common optimisation. Most likely you did not read through to end where I hand TEG his head basically every single time.

What don’t you know enough about security to rip TEG to bits.

33. oldman says:

Microsoft has had over 20 years to refine there current design and has not.

So are you saying that there have been zero improvements between windows 9x and windows 8?. ROFLMAO! Only an idiot like you hamster could make such a statement.

And please spare us your wall of text. You regularly get you head handed to you security wise by TEG!

Mongrol
    –A recent link showing malware on Android rising at an incredible rate. I’ll bet it’s not Linux when that happens, is it?–

There are a lot of studies on this. Android security framework is a one off. There are a lot of defects in a new one off design. Microsoft has had over 20 years to refine there current design and has not. Android poor update system compared to other Linux distributions also is a major blame. Some of this poor update trace to the fact 1 image could not be deployed on many arm devices.

The next 12 months is going to be interesting Mongrol. Linux 3.7 brings the start of the single arm kernel image for all arm soc chips process. This should allow a unified Android image to be made with a unified source of updates.

Mongrol android is getting us to understand exactly what features are required to slow infection and give resistance.

Android is still Linux its just like not all distributions are created security equal.

In fact the iphone vs android infection rates proved that popularity have nothing todo with infection. Because even when the iphone was the most popular android was the more infected.

Really the android item proves Microsoft has not been doing their job with Windows.

Mongrol –And as usual you omit that hundreds of thousands of existing PROGRAMS (I dislike the term “app”) will still run just fine in Windows 8′s desktop. Including such old favourites as Photoshop, AutoCAD and loads of games.–
    Unless of course it happens to be an arm device running windows 8 where non of the existing run. It is possible for Linux to run x86 binary on arm platforms but it comes with a price.

35. Chris Weig says:

Is this the same Chris Weig who says FLOSS sucks? Surely an imitation should be just as good…

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, not that the imitations are necessarily good. They can, in fact, suck. Like FLOSS.

As for ImageMagick, SoX and yada, yada, yada: were you around when DOS was around? I used CLI tools for processing images and sound back then. Apparently for you this was a novelty on Linux.

As for Firefox or Chrome, they belong to the 0.01 percent where some original thought can be discerned. But the problem with Chrome is that, before Chrome could happen, Apple’s engineers had to fix the god-awful code from the KDE project to create WebKit. So even if WebKit is FLOSS, proprietary code companies were necessary for its success.

As for the Linux kernel, it’s a hodgepodge which imitates countless other things.

As for the EULA, it’s not of any relevance here because I was talking about software.

You can laugh all you want, but face the facts, Bob: almost everything FLOSS is a cheap knock-off.

And with regards to 2013 being not the year of Microsoft: I can tell you that it won’t be the year of Canonical, as they now have turned to begging on the internet. Those balance sheets of theirs must look horrible.

36. Mongrol says:

“Wow, a M$ mongrel troll that can fetch links! Thanks”

Mongrol – with an “O”. Reading is fun. And I’m not the one trolling and throwing around childish names.

Android apps being run on Windows 8 devices…

a) so much for only 2,000 “apps” on Windows 8
    b) WHERE’S YOUR GOD NOW?

And as usual you omit that hundreds of thousands of existing PROGRAMS (I dislike the term “app”) will still run just fine in Windows 8’s desktop. Including such old favourites as Photoshop, AutoCAD and loads of games.

A link that shows IE10 having better HTML5 support than Opera and Safari (which is based on the same rendering engine as Chrome). So much for MS not playing nice with standards.

As far no damage to unrooted phones goes, I suppose having your personal details stolen, and your phone sending spam and/or racking up premium rate calls/SMS without your knowledge don’t count as “ill effects”?

37. Is Microsoft whistling past the graveyard?

A lot, I surmise, hinges on the success of Windows 8. Is Microsoft counting chickens from rotten eggs? It certainly smells that way… Much of the rest seems like lipstick on a pig to me. No mention of Microsoft’s abysmal market share in smartphones, for example.

38. oldman wrote, “resprt to the command line”, as if there were anything wrong with that. The CLI is quite useful for many things, better than a GUI for many things. I suppose you don’t speak and prefer to wave your hands instead. Mankind has created many languages and they are all good for what they do, communicate. CLI is just one of many ways to do things. It works.

–Image Magic is sooo unique… Until you pull your head out of your little world and look arount. One session popped a list of 15 different batch image processors.

Note that not ONE of them has to resprt to the command line, and some are even…Free NON-FOSS!!!–
    Try again oldman yourself.

Not one on that list does as many image formates as imagemagick that is not imagemagick related. Also imagemagick is not just command line tools it a libraries. The command line tools are from scripting and abusing the main library to make sure it works.

http://converseen.sourceforge.net/ So use converseen as the front end and you get all the advantages of imagemagick none of the command line for batch conversion. Yes even for your pet windows its free oldman.

Really thinking that imagemagick is apache 2.0 license and its blood relation graphicsmagick is MIT there is no reason why every batch converter does not support the 100+ formats of imagemagick.

Advanced Batch Converter in your list that comes close is in fact using a blood relation graphicsmagick.

oldman the reality here all batch converters that support a large number of formats are all related to imagemagick. Some directly use imagemagick libraries some use its relation graphicsmagick libraries. Reason its too costly to reinvent the wheel.

You also find digikam and other FOSS applications integrating imagemagick in for image processing again not reinventing wheel.

Imagemagick is a 2d graphics processing engine.

oldman how many on that list could reach out and use the video card gpu to accelerate the process. converseen can use opencl by imagemagick.

So that list that can do gpu acceleration of 2d processing.
    David’s Batch Processor will be able but cannot yet and photoshop.

oldman the complete list you pulled is mostly either unable to perform the number of formats or is a few tech generations behind.

Most of my imagemagick usage would be by digikam and other graphical tools. Where I ask the GUI of the tool to do a alteration and it reaches out to the imagemagick library.

You might be using imagemagick or graphicmagick in different tools you have paid for oldman just have not noticed.

oldman picking on him for sox was fair. Picking on him for imagemagick not so much. When something is best of breed its best of breed. I will give you using imagemagick by its command-line not some other third party program gui to it is a pain in ass. If you look at the imagemagick web site you think its has to be commandline unless you read deeper.

40. kozmcrae says:

oldman speaks:

“But in the meanwhile mostly they will produce half assed derivative variations on some existing package or combination of packages.”

And do they care? No. They just go on and FLOSS continues to grow and produce “best of breed”, “World class”, “fit for purpose” software and whatever other clichés you can think of. Besides, there’s plenty of proprietary software that rides on top of FLOSS. Couldn’t live without it.

You can always say FLOSS is full of half assed packages and you’d be right. Because the FLOSS ecosystem is so huge. The number of shining stars in FLOSS is small compared to the total number of projects, but the total number of projects are huge so the number of shining stars are many. Many, and growing in number.

The World is a big place. When it decides to do something it does it bigger that anyone else. The World has decided it wants to make its own software. It won’t be needing Microsoft anymore.

41. oldman says:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. SoX is a crappy command line tool. Even my ancient copy of SteinBerg WaveLab

does more and is easier and more efficient to use. Of course you have to PAY for it and in the Robert Pogson school of cheapskate parasites we can have that.

Try again Pog.

42. oldman wrote, “it’s just what people pay for”.

People pay for FLOSS, too, but it’s not necessarily the one using who pays. Who cares? It’s the software that matters.

43. Chris Weig wrote, “FLOSS, since the dawn of its time, is imitating proprietary software”.

HAHAHA! ROFL! GASP!

Then, facts in disproof:

• ImageMagick, SoX and the like have no counterpart in non-FREE software. They are real tools, created for a real purpose.
    • Chrome is no more an imitation of NCSA’s Mosaic than IE… Oh, wait! IE was a copy…
    • Linux, the kernel was written from scratch to comply with the POSIX standard, more or less, and was not a copy or imitation of anything. Linux is huge compared to UNIX kernels of those days, in particular because all those drivers/devices did not exist.
    • No EULA, eh? How different is that?
  44. Chris Weig says:

Re: Virtual Desktop. If it sucks then why does everyone ask me about it, when I demo it to them?

You forgot to mention the spinning Compiz cube. Another useless crowd pleaser. The Cult of FLOSS is easily impressed.

Why do people have 2 -4 monitors at their desk at one time?

You didn’t just compare a real multi-monitor setup with Linux’s sorry-ass virtual desktops, or did you? But I do understand you now. As getting a real multi-monitor setup to run with Linux involves praying, Linux users are indeed better off with virtual desktops.

45. oldman says:

I can do the same, but with one screen, flick of my wrist and I can bring up four screens at once. Saves energy, space and money!

And do absolutely nothing useful well doing it, no doubt.

Why do people have 2 -4 monitors at their desk at one time?

Also, why is it that Windows does not allow its users to toggle ‘Always on Top” for its GUI? The best thing they can come up with is Aero Snap? Please….

Oh and Bill Gates made it know he was dumpster diving before it was hip.

47. Chris Weig says:

You seem to believe, oldman, that the proprietary model of software development has some kind of edge over the open source model. Not in speed to market. Certainly not in fixing security holes. Not in errors per thousand lines of code. I know, it’s shinier! Yeah, that’s the ticket. Proprietary software has more shine.

Who spat in your brain? Not some kind of edge? You have noticed that FLOSS, since the dawn of its time, is imitating proprietary software, right? In FLOSS you have to search for original thoughts with a magnifying glass. For nearly every FLOSS proprietary software can be pointed out which came before it.

Even the holy grail of FLOSS “innovation”, the virtual desktop, was originally a proprietary concept. And it’s one that has never found much attention in Windows and Mac OS (X) because it sucks. As does 99.9 percent of all FLOSS, due to being poor clones and lifeless imitations.

As for the shine, you are right. Proprietary software couldn’t be as ugly as FLOSS if it tried really hard. Thankfully the shine is an added bonus and doesn’t detract from the function.

48. oldman says:

Not when you have 10,000 FLOSS developers scratching their itches.

Yes and I suppose that 10000 monkeys pounding away at the keyboard might eventualy reproduce Shakespeare. But in the meanwhile mostly they will produce half assed derivative variations on some existing package or combination of packages.

Wow, a M$ mongrel troll that can fetch links! Thanks 🙂

Did you derive your query from http://www.dogpile.com ??

Re: Droid malware, unrooted devices do not suffer the ill effects, do you even read?

Windows is far superior then Android when it comes to malware, perhaps you were not aware of that? 🙂

Re: METROFAIL apps still an underdog. M$ likely to resort to begging or bribing developers in the coming months.

We shall see: http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-sales-exec-promises-100000-windows-8-apps-by-january-2013-7000005401/

But highly unlikely, as: http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-annoys-developers-with-windows-phone-8-secrecy-7000004204/

From mongrels fetched link.

A collaboration between AMD and software firm Bluestacks lets the devices run the 500,000 apps more usually found on Android phones.

By contrast, Microsoft reportedly only has a two thousand apps written specifically for Windows 8 at launch.

However, some reports suggest that a month prior to the launch of Windows 8 there are only about 2,000 apps available for it in Microsoft’s Windows Store.

All in all, another failure!

50. oldman says:

Actually, it’s just what people pay for.

Is that too difficult for you to understand?

51. Chris Weig says:

Chris Weig lied when he wrote, ” Microsoft will die the next day”.

What is going on in that head of yours, Pogson? I wrote that you claimed that, which is the truth, only slightly exaggerated. And as you are the one who presents his opinions about Microsoft collapsing any day now as factual statements, it is you who could be rightfully called a liar.

Proprietary software has more shine. That is a famous Gates line, “If you can’t make it good, at least make it look good.”

New Marketing piece:

“Windows 8….so dreadful, people will pay to go back to 7” 🙂

53. Mongrol says:

“At the moment, by my count, there are fewer than 2,200 apps in the store.
    After reading this, I fail to see how they will achieve even 10K apps.”

“M$ and IE support of HTML5, now that’s some HOGWASH! M$ never wants to work together with anyone else in the world, and prefers to break laws and standards.”

“Another HOGWASH story I keep seeing, is malware on Android devices.”

54. kozmcrae says:

oldman wrote:

“The world also purchase pre made software fit for purpose as well some of which is built by ISV’s on windows systems.”

They also purchase pre made software fit for purpose as well some of which is built by ISV’s on FLOSS systems. There is nothing new or different in your statement. You pre-assumed I would have a problem with that. No problem because your so-called “fit for purpose” software is not a product of the propietary model alone. Not when you have 10,000 FLOSS developers scratching their itches.

55. Adam King says:

I call for the banning of Chris Weig and Oldman. They are clearly paid by M$ to spread lies.

56. Chris Weig lied when he wrote, ” Microsoft will die the next day”.

M$ can live off its purse indefinitely by laying off staff and doing less. They are virtually immortal unless there is a great financial catastrophe or governments break them up.

57. oldman says:

Avoid these two things and you will never have to worry about malware or viruses on your Android device.

Do you actually own an android device?

Wiggies in denial! All drug addicts are in denial, until they sober up and get into rehab. But one must be careful when the addict is weaned from drug, they vehemently attack and lash out at you. I think we are seeing this now with patent trolls and shills that appear on this blog.

Another HOGWASH story I keep seeing, is malware on Android devices.

As for malware infecting your Android device… Don’t root you device, and don’t check “allow third party applications” to be installed

A virus can’t survive with out access to the root user. Rooting your device pretty much makes you mobile device as open to attack as the Windows desktop operating system is. You are pretty much opening the door to your entire operating system, allowing third party apps to be installed lets malware writers walk right in and take ownership.

59. Chris Weig says:

Could you explain yourself to the rest of us? Why is it that you don’t like the World taking care of its own software needs?

I won’t bother to answer this, as my comment merely concerned itself with Pogson’s empty prophecies he announces day after day. Not one of them has come true.

Why don’t you ask Robert why he claims every day that Microsoft will die the next day? Seems to be an obsession of his. And you seem well-versed in laymen psychology, kozmcrae.

60. oldman says:

This will also increase as the steam market opens up to productive applications. oldman we are in a set of tide shifts.

Hamster talk to me when a) the apps are there and debugged b) they actually get used.

Until then its your usual pie in the sky.

oldman
    –The world also purchase pre made software fit for purpose as well some of which is built by ISV’s on windows systems. Why should you have any problems with that?–
    There is also ISV building premade software for Linux.

62. oldman says:

63. kozmcrae says:

Somehow I knew I would see Chris Weig right up there first with his nonsense. “The same hogwash article after article.”

You really don’t like to see articles like this one, don’t you Chris. You just can’t accept that Microsoft is in its waning years. I don’t know why that should be so difficult. It had to happen sometime. And FLOSS is a natural replacement. It represents the World. It’s the World taking care of its own software needs Chris. How could you possibly have a problem with that?

64. Dougman quoted, “At the moment, by my count, there are fewer than 2,200 apps in the store.”

Yes. I feel a Zune coming on. Pretty soon many will realize actually producing a product is just a hobby for Ballmer.

Chris Weig, ignores the obvious. M$ has become irrelevant due to their own arrogance, one company can only lock-up the free market for so long. If they were to crash, I am sure they would get bailed out and rebranded as GovermentSoft.

Re: Microsoft: 100,000 Windows 8 apps will be available by February. If METROFAIL was so popular, why must users wait? At the moment, by my count, there are fewer than 2,200 apps in the store.

After reading this, I fail to see how they will achieve even 10K apps.

Re: Microsoft promises to sell 400 million Windows 8 devices in 9 months. Is it just bluster? Of course it is, those will be double counted for both Windows 8 AND Windows 7, typical M$ math.

Yep, so much hogwash that M$ browser is openly mocked and snickered at by everyone.

66. “Hogwash?” I doubt it. The trendline is there, and it’s on a downhill slide. I’ve been watching Microsoft closely for over thirty years. Their past is catching up to them—and there’s a brick wall blocking their future.

67. Chris Weig says:

The same hogwash article after article.

My prediction is that you, Pogson, will claim next year that 2014 will not be the year of Microsoft. Again.