Really, there is nothing unusual about rounded rectangles:
- Apple is suing Samsung claiming Samsung stole it from Apple but
- Apple stole it from Sony,
- who may have copied it from Sinclair,
- who may have copied it from Star Trek,
- who may have got it from the Ancients…
and they probably rounded the corners to keep them from breaking.
“A recent court filing by Samsung reveals that in 2006 Apple industrial designer Shin Nishibori was directed to design an iPhone prototype inspired by Sony’s aesthetics after Tony Fadell internally circulated an interview with a designer from the company. An assortment of renders reveal his design, complete with a Sony logo — save for one where the logo has been modified to read "Jony," presumably in honor of Apple’s Jony Ive.”
This is one of several reasons why I hold Apple in low esteem. My contempt is compounded by their hypocrisy and the courts’ deference to them.