“8” is Cripple-ware

This is Phoney “7” all over again folks. The latest revelation is that “8” on ARM will not fit into the “management” system that M$ uses on other hardware

I imagine that will prevent most organizations from issuing ARMed gadgets running “8” to staff or students. With GNU/Linux there is no such limitation. SSH running on an ARMed machine can do the same as on any x86/amd64 system. On top of not running most legacy apps, why don’t they just put “8” in a museum on Day One?

Clearly, the world is not going to see a huge pop in business uptake of such technology in 2012. That leaves the Christmas-shopping season, I guess, assuming they ever release the thing. By that time non-crippled Android/Linux and GNU/Linux systems will be everywhere in huge numbers. Bye-bye, M$!

8 Responses to “8” is Cripple-ware

1. Phenom says:

Pog, you can mock at WP7 as much as you wish, but you are again a bit outdated:

Microsoft are slowly, but steadily getting their slice of the mobile market. Anyone suprised?

Btw, my reverent old LG Optimus 7 received the latest OS update a month ago. You know why? Probably because it is a WP7 phone.

2. oldman says:

“Funny how the free OS which fits on a regular CD BLOWS the two commercial bloated DVD-based OS’es out of the water…”

In what sense?

3. oe says:

Well tried OS/X Lion, Windows 8 Consumer Preview, and Precise Pangolin beta 1 (Ubuntu 12.04) in VirtualBox this weekend. Funny how the free OS which fits on a regular CD BLOWS the two commercial bloated DVD-based OS’es out of the water….I’ll admit that I wasn’t a big fan of Unity but I think Shuttleworth of Canonical is pulling off a unified phone, tablet, and desktop interface in a way that Apple and MS are failing miserably at. With FOSS you can always add back to GNOME2 and 3 (the wonders of integrated package management…). Seems Unity manages to span across all three seamlessly (Google I think is trying to do the same bringing Android to the Desktop) not bad for a company with a tiny fraction of the market-capitalization of the two mainstream choices…

4. Nope.

ssh -Y ellaina "firefox http://mrpogson.com"

which I can run by clicking an icon, gets me to another PC in the house and I get a window back with the browser running in that other machine. The X window system is wonderful and SSH can forward the stuff around the LAN securely.

5. Ray says:

Wait, isn’t SSH command-line only? BTW, I’ll probably wait for a jailbreak 😉

6. George Hostler says:

Although now a couple years old, I like my ASAU 4G Surf netbook. It is light weight, small enough to pack in a motorcycle saddlebag, has over 8 hours battery operation on a charge, uses solid state disk (SSD) technology and has wifi.

I am using Ubuntu 10.04 with netbook theme and it runs just fine. I use it for E-mail, browsing the net, etc. For the road, I don’t need a thick notebook.

Sincerely, George Hostler

7. People are tired of bulky, hot, noisey and expensive PCs. They want small cheap computers.

8. Mr. Moon says:

Your cite doesn’t paint such a dreary picture as you do, Mr. Pogson. All it says is that legacy apps, say the sort of stuff that a business may have in the way of .NET integrations with MS Office, may not work on ARM devices at the outset. I know for a fact that these apps do work on x86 Windows 8 configurations, though, and any business wanting to upgrade from XP should have no such problem if they use their old equipment or else just buy Intel stuff for new workstations.

I think you overstate the importance of ARM in this environment. I doubt that many businesses are going to trash their conventional PCs and start using phones and tablets instead.