Forrester on Amazon: Take 5 million Tablets Next Quarter

Forrester is predicting Amazon will be able to sell millions of tablets next quarter if they cut prices and have signed up suppliers. With HP getting out of WebOS, that might be easy. Amazon could become Apple’s largest competitor in tablets. Expect more law suits…

23 Responses to Forrester on Amazon: Take 5 million Tablets Next Quarter

1. oldman says:

“You *are* paid to post “oldman” no matter how you slice it. That goes for anyone else who posts from work no matter whose side they are on.”

So your contention is that the only time that I am allowed to exercise my right of free speech is to do so on my own equipment when I am not at work. And if by chance my employer happens to subsidize my internet connection because I occasionally work from home and transact university business I have no rights to speak freely without being accused of being paid to post.

Do I have it correct, Mr Chapman?

2. Richard Chapman says:

“My employer does not strictly monitor computer usage and never has.”

And that is as it should be.

My “assertiosn” is to simply remind you that there is a division between posters who are being paid to post and those who are not. You *are* paid to post “oldman” no matter how you slice it. That goes for anyone else who posts from work no matter whose side they are on. I have already stated the reason why I harp on this subject *so* much but I will state it again. Your belove Microsoft has paid millions in PR to boost the image of their company and to damage the image of their competitors more than any other company in its market sector. Some of this activity has been so ethically challenged as to be nearly criminal. Possibly even criminal. If there has been such activity on the GNU/Linux side from say, The Linux Foundation, (I have personally seen some posts that were suspicious to me) the occurrences have been exceedingly rare. So let me state again: Microsoft has so completely saturated the Internet with phony boosters that every one I encounter is suspect, even you “oldman”. Microsoft created this situation so it’s not mine to sort out. You are the one with the credibility gap and Microsoft is the one who put you there. Blame them.

3. Contrarian says:

“I would not have dared to carry on with the correspondence that any of us do here on Robert’s blog.”

So you are insecure, #chapman, so what? If you were less of a grind, you might have obtained more freedom to spend your spare time doing things other than worrying about your employer catching you idle.

4. oldman says:

“Contrarian and “oldman” have selective memory syndrome. They conveniently forget the facts and need them pointed out to them time and time again. So I would argue against the “education” argument of most of what I see here.”

I dont give a crap what you argure against Mr. Chapman. The fact remains that I work where I work and no amount of assertiosn on your end is going to change the fact. Pog KNOWS where I work so he knows the truth. As far as whty I post here reality is that I have very different views from Pog and comment when he makes calls that I consider questionable. His answers more often than not are as far as I am concerned inadequate or misinformed. In any case more often than not Pog will ignore what is said and continue to post as if it was never said, at which point I choose as I feel appropriate to comment, even if it is basically a repetition in the hopes that I Pog and I can have some understanding of each other, even if we agree to disagree.

5. oldman says:

“So I would argue against the “education” argument of most of what I see here.”

I cant speak for I have been working for my institution for 23 years. the only time that they ever review computer use is if work is not delivered on time or some code of conduct violation is involved.

““oldman”, since your employer knows you carry on with a vigorous correspondence here, does he/she ever review your “work””

When did I directly state that my employer knows that I am posting here Mr. chapmsn? My employer does not strictly monitor computer usage and never has.

Do you ever stop being an a–hole Mr. Chapman.

6. Richard Chapman says:

In the early 1990s I worked at a prestigious four year college. I would not have dared to carry on with the correspondence that any of us do here on Robert’s blog. That’s about all I can say about getting paid to do your work and carry on with the same arguments day in and day out. Contrarian and “oldman” have selective memory syndrome. They conveniently forget the facts and need them pointed out to them time and time again. So I would argue against the “education” argument of most of what I see here. “oldman”, since your employer knows you carry on with a vigorous correspondence here, does he/she ever review your “work”?

7. oldman says:

“Nope. Technology evolves. Threats evolves. Use of technology evolves. People working with technology need to keep up.”

But in an enterprise one has to deal with system requirements that change far more slowly than the pace of technology. Any new technology that is introduced has to be testeed and vetted and frankily is subject to the question “Is this change really necessary at this time?”

8. Last year, I spent quite a bit of time on the web from work. It is part of professionalism to stay up to date. That works in education or IT. I know there are people out there who have set up a system and changed nothing in the last five years but would you want them to be in charge of your IT? Nope. Technology evolves. Threats evolves. Use of technology evolves. People working with technology need to keep up.

I have worked at places where there is a formal policy of “no personal use of IT in the workplace”. It’s still usually OK to browse the web in such circumstances although it can be difficult. I was at one place where a “whitelist” was used to block access to naughty sites. Guess what? Many GNU/Linux sites were not white-listed. The guy who ran the external white-listing site was an ex-Microsoftie… It was interesting. Things like http://www.debian.org were blocked (not on the white-list) but some others were not. I think it means that requests-to-whitelist were trickling through but were not universal yet. That was about 2004, when many had still not migrated to GNU/Linux, with perhaps a few million users globally. Now I would expect all the major Linux sites to be white-listed.

9. oldman says:

Lets try that again..

How about some who is using some of his slack time to use the mechanism that is provided for talk back to express his personal views. As far as my management blessing my computer use, I work for the IT division of a major educational institution. My institution requires me to sign a code of conduct but beyond that does not monitor of limit my use of the desktop computers that I have been assigned. So long as I get my work done and in on time, If I choose to spend a few minutes talking back to Pog, or answering your Scurrilous attacks and innuendos, that is OK with them.

10. oldman says:

“Now would you care to share with us what you call someone who advocates for Microsoft prolifically on at least one blog while at work with his employer’s blessing?”

I support and use both Linux and windows as part of my job, Mr. Chapman. I have used Unix since the late 70’s and Linux since Red Hat turned it into something more than a hackers toy about 7 years ago.
    I aware of what it can and can not do. As far as I am concerned, FOSS running on Linux is a sub par personal desktop computing environment that is nowhere near as useable as commercial software running on windows. That is my opinion, and as long as robert pogson allows me to post here, I will do so.

As far as the references to your computing hardware are concerned, I am interested to see if you actually do something with your computers besides tinker, because as far as I am concerned that is the only way that someone can tolerate working with a linux desktop in its current state.

So what DO you do with your computer Mr. Chapman?

“Every time you point out my aging equipment you point out your own eagerness to waste resources and burden the ecology of our planet.”

Unless you are living in the woods crapping in a hole spare me the holier than thou ecoplogical bushwah (sorry Pog I couldnt resist 😉 )

11. Richard Chapman says:

On running an “old” system. It seems I’m in good company: http://www.smartcompany.com.au/business-tech-talk/20110901-microsoft-s-lost-decade.html

12. Richard Chapman says:

Contrarian, I think you better stick with “educating” Robert. You don’t seem to make much sense when you stray from doing that. Possibly you don’t even make much sense when you do but at least we are more used to it.

13. Contrarian says:

An IT manager? Apparently you do not comprehend the notion of modern work, #chapman. That is easy to see. Your sort of people are measured with a clock apparently rather than with more useful criteria. I myself am totally retired, content to do what pleases me, even things like pointing out the fallacy of #pogson’s assumptions. But I can understand from my working days that many people are critical for applying some useful skill when circumstances demand and otherwise are occupied simply waiting for something to need attention. That is the way of IT administration. If the oldman wishes to waste his time on the hopeless task of educating you, it is his right.

I was not an adminsitrator, but rather a developer, and we were measured by the goals that were set based on our level. Anyone who might be much more clever at solving assigned problems could choose to help someone who was in trouble or could simply spend a time out nosing into something that might someday be interesting or useful. Most developers hate anyone else fooling around in their code, particularly someone who is professing to make it better. We pretty much respected one another’s turf, so there was a lot of time on some people’s hands and we explored the internet among other pursuits. We had a fitness center and game room and break area as well. Not a line of GPL code in the place, either.

14. Richard Chapman says:

“Would you care to share with us exactly what you do with your 8 year old system running your technically satifying system?”

Thank you for addressing the main issue of my post. There are other names and other ways to spread FUD for Microsoft but for now you’re not a TE.

Quick change of subject right? As for my equipment? I’m shaking my head in dismay. That’s not a bad thing “oldman”. My equipment is out of a landfill. It’s doing good service. It’s not sending more money to Microsoft or Intel. That’s a good thing by the way. They don’t need any more money but my local community does and that’s where my money went and continues to go as long as I use my “old” gear. It’s putting people to work where I live. That’s what should be going on in Kenya but you think the Kenyans should be sending billions to Microsoft instead of spending it building their own IT infrastructure using there own labor and their own software.

Every time you point out my aging equipment you point out your own eagerness to waste resources and burden the ecology of our planet. Resources that maybe you can easily afford but are laying waste to the countries that supply them and the countries that process the waste when you are done with it.

Every time you point out my aging equipment you project the belief that Microsoft advocates are arrogant fools. Why do you do that? You are not hurting my feelings. I think you’re an idiot when you raise the issue of my aging equipment. If I would feel bad about it, why would I mention it? You just make yourself look bad when *you* mention it. I can only say that you must be short of put-downs or whatever you call them. Either that or your lethargic mind just can’t come up with something new.

15. oldman says:

“Would care to share with us an explanation of your lack of acknowledgment of a pointed accusation.”

Its very simple, My dear Chappie, Because since I the oldman am not and have never been a Microsoft Technical Evangelist, I did not think it worth responding to.

ow Mr. CHapman, it is my turn. Would you care to share with us exactly what you do with your 8 year old system running your technically satifying system?

16. Richard Chapman says:

It’s very telling what both of you (“oldman” and Contrarian) chose to attack in my post and what you chose to let slide by. It’s so automatic that sometimes I fail to notice it. I did notice it this time though. It’s odd too because calling you out as a TE, even as an insinuation, is far more serious than a simple put down. Yet you ignored it. Would care to share with us an explanation of your lack of acknowledgment of a pointed accusation.

17. oldman says:

“Keep laughing “oldman”, it’s music to my ears.”

jerk

18. Richard Chapman says:

Keep laughing “oldman”, it’s music to my ears.

19. oldman says:

“that “mishmash” in the quote you referred to was something “oldman” and I locked horns on. He had to grow a new set of horns after that battle.”

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA….

I hadn’t really believed that you were that big an a–hole. But I guess I was wrong.

20. Contrarian says:

“oldman” and I locked horns …”

You are too funny for words, #chapman. Classing your mewling complaints as “locking horns” is giving yourself far too much credit. No one is fooled by your juvenile rants into believing that you are a serious poster.

21. Google has accommodated the big tablet makers with special help for their needs and later this year “Ice Cream Sandwich” will run on smart phones and tablets well. Amazon is just the tip of the iceberg.

While hundreds of thousands of apps may be an advantage, most users only run 50 or so apps and searching for apps can be a hassle. There are plenty of apps around for current Android/Linux versions and more will come once Ice Cream Sandwich is released.

22. Richard Chapman says:

“Apps could be a problem, though. Your cite links to the claim:…”

That’s an old TE trick Contrarian. Refer to another site that is simply a rehash of the same FUD you’re spewing. That “mishmash” in the quote you referred to was something “oldman” and I locked horns on. He had to grow a new set of horns after that battle. If there is indeed a “terrible lack of available apps” in Android tablets, do you really believe the open source community of developers will allow that situation to linger very long?

Your harping on imaginary Android failings are not helping your image as just another Microsoft fan Contrarian. And your complete inability to carry on a discourse within the bounds of normal bias for more than a paragraph mark you as under some kind of influence.

23. Contrarian says:

Apps could be a problem, though. Your cite links to the claim:

“This, as I’ve often pointed out, is the glaring downside of Android’s openness: it’s not really one platform, but a splintered mishmash of different versions.”

Apparently Android tablets suffer from a terrible lack of available apps, presumably accounting for their poor showing in the market so far. Amazon may be able to correct that, but I doubt that it will be any sort of “open” product. Rather it will be the Color Kindle or something with a similar name.