A Million New GNU/Linux Users Each Week

This is it, apparently. Last year was the year GNU/Linux opened the door. This year, people are walking through, into the light.

160000 Android-y smartphones are being sold daily.

They will like to use GNU/Linux on their desktop/notebook and netbook PCs as well. You can count on it. What OS is in their hands, at body temperature? What OS is with them between stops? What OS just works and does what they need doing instead of letting in malware and spam? What OS lowers their cost of ownership?

GNU/Linux is beating unit sales of that other OS by far now. M$ has a head start, but GNU/Linux will have decent share by next year. Maybe, I should buy a smartphone. I likely will not even open an account, but I could still keep the thing warm and use it to view what I transfer to my gadget from my PCs. Anyone know how to install a Debian GNU/Linux repository on a smartphone? A virtual machine? I will figure it out.

I am enjoying this

I am enjoying this

10 Responses to A Million New GNU/Linux Users Each Week

1. I have been pretty sure A-C was an astroturfer but unsure what to do about it. I like keeping the enemy in plain sight but I do not like giving him a platform. What is the lesser evil/greater good? He is sitting on the fence in my view and it is covered in broken glass. He offers sometimes a critical point of view and at other times a good laugh. Maybe I will block him to see how the ratings go…

2. ml2mst says:

Thanks for the great article ;-)

I wouldn’t waste to much time “reasoning” with the Microsoft Astroturfer amicus_curious. Here is some info:

3. Dann says:

GNU/Linux isn’t supposed to be conventional, it’s supposed to honour what the user/customer wants from it. That’s the fundamental difference between MS and Apple and GNU/Linux. Unfortunately there are people who find this type of ideology uncomprehendable. The only way for them to accept this is for it to leave them in the dust, which is what it seems to be doing. In a few years, amicus_curious will either have to accept that his precious misconceptions are dead wrong or he/she will have to live in denial as the world passes them by.

It’s never easy being right, but it’s better this way.

4. I have seen lots of people who can do e-mail, chat, browse and play music on one of these things and it does not seem slower than a PC. Playing a piano is difficult too if you do not practise. Folks who are comfortable with these devices would also be happy with a PC with the same look/feel. 60% of new PCs are notebookish these days and that is a tiny step to the smartphone if they use a touchpad or touchscreen.

There is nothing “conventional” about GNU/Linux distributions. You can combine almost any window manager with any display manager with any distro. There are display managers available very similar to the smartphones and, with Android, they could be identical. Android is being ported to x86.

5. amicus_curious says:

“This is the thin edge of a very long wedge.”

Baloney, Robert. You duck the real issue here. Nothing about using a Droid phone is the least bit like using an operating system on a PC. No one is going to demand that their PC be made to look like their phone. And anyone who did would certainly not want a conventional Linux distribution.

6. 90% of PC users never install an OS. They get someone else to do that. All the distros in the world have a shot at only about 10% of PCs. The OEM/retail chains deal with the 90%. GNU/Linux has done very well with geeks and now it is spreading to non-geeks through OEMs. People do not want to learn a whole bunch of operating systems. If they find one they like they will want it on all their devices. If they had believed that that other OS was wonderful and they find an other OS on their smart-thingies, they will at least inquire whether uniformity can be obtained. This is the thin edge of a very long wedge.

7. amicus_curious says:

Linux has been available to anyone who knows what it is and still wants it for 15 years or so now. What is holding it back?

You say conspiracy or such, but that is just lame. The problem is that few know about it and fewer still want it. Howmany people who buy a Droid phone actually know that it is Linux. All they really know is that it is not an iPhone and that Google has something to do with it. Not Linus Torvalds, not Richard Stallman, not GNU. Nothing in there to even remotely suggest that they would think to parlay a Droid into a Linux desktop.

8. oe says:

If I were Goldman Sac’s I’d probably have a big wad of MS stock to offer up in naked short sales before today…

9. M$’s efforts have delayed the emergence of GNU/Linux, which is money in the bank for them. The thing that annoys me is that despite proven violations of law, they are allowed to go on inventing new ways of breaking the law. If they were a criminal they would be treated harshly as a repeat offender. e.g. in the “Final Settlement” with US DOJ, they were required to stop a list of illegal practices, but there is nothing in the settlement about not instituting a dozen others. If it takes ten years to reign each violation, they will continue forever. Fortunately, the market is wriggling out from under M$’s foot faster than government can move. We should have a pool on what year will have most big-box stores selling GNU/Linux openly, side by side with that other OS. It could be as early as Christmas with smartphones and next year for all the rest. I do not see how they can hold back the tide longer than that. It could come sooner if some OEMs were held back by threats of patent infringement suits and SCOTUS shuts that scam down.

10. Richard Chapman says:

Microsoft saw this coming way back in the last century. They tried every trick in the book to try to kill GNU/Linux before it multiplied. They were using the wrong book. Microsoft wanted it all because they thought it belonged to them. That belief is so ingrained in their culture their management is unable to deal with the new reality. Their Astroturfers keep playing the same tune hoping to keep people tied to their Microsoft computers. I cannot see this going on indefinitely without some catastrophic event occurring.